Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 11 "beautiful" girls on The Saturday Night Show Last Night.

Options

Comments

As a society we have some taken a lot of strong methods to make smoking unappealing, I went through them earlier, I'm currently staring at a pic of some lads cancerous swollen throat because of those methods.

AFAIK I know there is an ever decreasing amount of people smoking, alcohol consumption is also down from its peak.

Fat bashing is definitely a thing on AH, I've called people out on it in some stupid thread about airplane seats, this doesn't change the fact that the biggest issue in health care (with our model of health care funding it effects everybody not just those overweight, and smoking and drinking for all there problems are possibly cost neutral in terms of health funding) is obesity and the vast majority of it is avoidable.

Can I ask the sensible posters here what methods they would use to tackle the obesity crisis because the evidence is there that peoples view point on what a 'normal' or healthy body shape is has became skewed
    Take a look at this image
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/9/8/1410187036571/African-American-women-bo-001.jpg

Which body shapes do you think are normal, overweight and underweight.
    1 is underweight, 2,3,4 are normal, and the rest are overweight to obese

I would have thought that 2 and 3 are normal, I'm surprised 4 is. I doubt anyone at all would think 5 and above are normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Numbers 3, 4 and 5 look healthy to me - that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Can I ask the sensible posters here what methods they would use to tackle the obesity crisis because the evidence is there that peoples view point on what a 'normal' or healthy body shape is has became skewed

That's a pretty useless graphic tbh, as it's just a two-dimensional drawing, so it's impossible to say with any realistic accuracy what is, or isn't overweight/underweight, apart from the two extremes at either end.

I also think the term 'obesity crisis' is nothing more than hyperbolic scaremongering, and just demonstrates that it's not actually peoples viewpoint on what's a normal or healthy body shape that's become skewed, but actually the tools and standards we use to measure these variances throughout history and in various societies.

Look at how many individuals who don't understand the BMI scale for example, and how many of them think 25 is this magic number that they have to aspire to for themselves which means they must be 'healthy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

No, I said anecdotes. Anecdotes. It's a discussion forum, I would like to discuss your perspective. You asked a question, and I would like to know why you asked the question, as we obviously have very different experiences.

I can't force you to discuss how you came to such a conclusion, I regret bothering to engage with you at this point tbh.

well, why not answer the question then, and not with another question (or don't as the case may be)

engage with me?.......... wtf :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

It's funny how fat shaming is horrible in the eyes of fat people yet some of these fat acceptance campaigns and campaigners shame skinny people which in turn just completely voids their opinions. Listen to that whale niki minajs song where she says "fuk all you skinny bitches" and there are countless people who don't find an issue with that and still support the song yet if it was reversed to say "fuk all you fat bitches" it'd be an outrage.

Being fat is almost always a personal choice and laziness and stuff like this just tries to sell the idea that it is okay to be lazy and unhealthy. One person ITT said they gained 2 stone due to medication and it's people like that I feel sorry for as they're the exception who experience side effects to medication or have genuine health issues that cause weight gain but they'll be included in the same category as the lazy fat people.

Also, maybe in some perfect utopia a person could choose to be obese and have it be nobody else's problem but their own. But here, in reality, in the real world there's a thing called health insurance and it effects us all. A higher rate of obesity = a higher rate of health problems = higher insurance claims = more expensive insurance costs for the rest of us.

Exercising for 40 minutes a day and choosing to not eat extremely calorie dense processed foods for every meal isn't hard. Almost everybody spends hours watching TV or doing other useless sh!t every day so not having time is no excuse, unless you work 60+ hour work weeks. Nobody is asking you to run marathons or live in a gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I dont find any of them attractive except the girl in the bottom right of the group photo

Huge booty aside, is Nicki Minaj a whale? http://uk.eonline.com/resize/300/300/www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201448/rs_600x600-140508091532-600.Nicki-Minaj-Peach-Bikini-Commercial.jl.050814.jpg

The song I know which mentions skinny bitches (I agree, totally crap to have that lyric) is All About That Base or something? It's not Nicki Minaj though (although I presumed it was when I first heard it).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are humans the only living thing to eat to excess or when they are full?

Are there examples of obesity in the animal kingdom?

It's funny how fat shaming is horrible in the eyes of fat people yet some of these fat acceptance campaigns and campaigners shame skinny people which in turn just completely voids their opinions.

I'm with you so far...

Listen to that whale niki minajs

Did you just invalidate your own opinion?

song where she says "fuk all you skinny bitches" and there are countless people who don't find an issue with that and still support the song yet if it was reversed to say "fuk all you fat bitches" it'd be an outrage.

Ohh I doubt that now very, very much. For that to happen, people would be required to take Nicki Minaj seriously, and apart from yourself it seems, I'm not sure anyone over the age of 12 actually does! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Lyger wrote: »
    Huge booty aside, is Nicki Minaj a whale? http://uk.eonline.com/resize/300/300/www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201448/rs_600x600-140508091532-600.Nicki-Minaj-Peach-Bikini-Commercial.jl.050814.jpg

The song I know which mentions skinny bitches (I agree, totally crap to have that lyric) is All About That Base or something? It's not Nicki Minaj though (although I presumed it was when I first heard it).

Nicki minaj says a similar line in her song annaconda

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Domestic cats and dogs, but they're given the food in fairness. Hippos?

The song all about that base is about how all girls bodies are beautiful ,fat or skinny. Shes not shaming skinny girls... 'every inch of you is perfect from the botto to the top'

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The song all about that base is about how all girls bodies are beautiful ,fat or skinny. Shes not shaming skinny girls... 'every inch of you is perfect from the botto to the top'
    She does say "skinny bitches" though, and in the video there's a slim woman who keeps being ostracised and is depicted as really full of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sir Mix-A-Lot, "Baby Got Back"

Quality.

Celebrates big holes, slags off skinny girls.

The Smiths - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Just a great song - nothing more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

That's a pretty useless graphic tbh, as it's just a two-dimensional drawing, so it's impossible to say with any realistic accuracy what is, or isn't overweight/underweight, apart from the two extremes at either end.

Its pretty basic to be honest, its from this article is the Guardian
    I also think the term 'obesity crisis' is nothing more than hyperbolic scaremongering, and just demonstrates that it's not actually peoples viewpoint on what's a normal or healthy body shape that's become skewed, but actually the tools and standards we use to measure these variances throughout history and in various societies.

Look at how many individuals who don't understand the BMI scale for example, and how many of them think 25 is this magic number that they have to aspire to for themselves which means they must be 'healthy'.

I'm sort of confused by what you mean by this, the population is definitely getting much heavier, those there is plenty of sensible non tabloid voices of those involved in the health professions are concerned with the health impacts and people involved in government concerned about future costs. The tools and standards haven't changed in any direction apart from getting bigger not smaller, look at clothes sizes!

I'm confused by what you mean about the BMI to, unless your carrying a lot of muscle your going to be healthier having a BMI of 25 (all other factors like stress and income staying the same) than over it?

About Nikki Manaj one could possibly guess there is a little bit of the race undercurrent there as well rather than it being exclusively about body type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"might I add; no fat chick's".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As Glenn Quagmire once said "Fat Chicks need lovin too, but they gotta pay."

The Smiths - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Just a great song - nothing more!

Was there ever a man so... 'eloquent' (? :pac:) as Prince -

So here we-so here we-so here we are, here we are (G-G-Gett off)
    In my paisley crib
    Whatcha want 2 eat? "Ribs"
    Ha, toy, I don't serve ribs...
    U better be happy that dress is still on
    I heard the rip when u sat down

Honey them hips is gone
    That's alright, I clock 'em that way
    Remind me of something James used to say...

"I like 'em fat"
    "I like 'em proud"
    "Ya gotta have a mother for me"

Now move your big ass 'round this way
    So I can work on that zipper, baby
    Tonight your a star
    And I'm the big dipper

Filth! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

NIMAN wrote: »

There's loads of animals that'll gorge themselves when given the opportunity, it's just off set by the fact they don't often have the opportunity and have to do a lot of physical work to get the opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The thing about all models(plus size and smaller) is that they still diet and work out. They eat healthy, some are naturally "big" but they still work to shape their body and keep things tight

The obese models the OP talks about look like they just thrown on make up and fake tan and expect that to be enough. If it was that easy, we would all be models.

Some guys/girls are naturally skinny. I hate hearing "plus" size people shaming skinny people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

And let's not forget, fat bottomed girls they make the rockin world go round !

I'm sort of confused by what you mean by this, the population is definitely getting much heavier, those there is plenty of sensible non tabloid voices of those involved in the health professions are concerned with the health impacts and people involved in government concerned about future costs. The tools and standards haven't changed in any direction apart from getting bigger not smaller, look at clothes sizes!

IS the population actually getting heavier though, or are we just beginning to notice it more? In the last 30 years or so, Western society has become obsessed with aesthetics, body consciousness and imagery, and health care standards. The health care industry has exploded, cosmetic surgery is as easily available as a quick face peel on your coffee break, and gymnasiums and health clubs are packed to capacity. As a result of better education and diets, people are becoming more health conscious naturally, and on the flipside of that, people are becoming more aware of people around them in society who aren't so health conscious (I think is it a third of Americans are considered overweight or morbidly obese? That still means that two thirds are a healthy weight?).

You say the tools haven't changed, but come on now, Western society has more information and education about making healthy lifestyle choices than at any other time in human history. I'm looking at clothes sizes and I'm looking at people trying to shrink themselves into those clothes sizes. I'm looking at young girls wearing even less clothes than ever to show off to their peers, I'm looking at young boys wearing tee shirts when they go swimming because they're ashamed of their bodies and they don't want girls to notice they don't have a six pack. I'm looking at people of all ages across the whole demographic spectrum, obsessing about the latest on-trend fashions and wanting to emulate celebrities rather than accepting that they don't have personal trainers who are celebrities in their own right! (That Shaun T, "Insanity" DVD fitness program, selling like bloody hot cakes, it's almost impossible to avoid anyone talking about it!), I'm looking at a mate of mine who set up a Zumba studio about three years ago, now he's got franchises up and down the country and he and his team are in constant demand even for corporate clients! I'm looking at my own brother who has a franchise of gymnasiums (and men only ones at that!), his business is growing at a phenomenal rate, and I can't tell you a whole lot about how gymnasiums operate, but it's like going into a salon and they're selling you a mind blowingly expensive facial treatment - he's selling kegs of nutrition powder supplements, drinks, bars, I mean, I could go on all night! It really is a whole lifestyle, and albeit healthy and all, you can't help but get the feeling these people are obsessive because the healthy lifestyle and being in the peak of their physical and mental health makes them feel great about themselves, and they're incredibly competitive about it!

There's a huge shift in society and social attitudes towards attaining physical perfection and internal health, but for me personally, I really am left wondering - yes, they certainly appear happier and healthier, but then again, so did Patrick Bateman (fictional character I know, but you get the idea - the obsessive nature of it all isn't just individual physical perfection and health any more, but now they have to be better, more competitive, than everyone else!). I'm just not sure it's mentally healthy, nor if it's actually driving society to a good place (Wall-E was one possible extreme, this seems to be the other!).

I'm confused by what you mean about the BMI to, unless your carrying a lot of muscle your going to be healthier having a BMI of 25 (all other factors like stress and income staying the same) than over it?

See? You just did it there yourself! Are two people ever actually the same? Are they mentally, financially, aesthetically the same? The BMI scale is meant to be an indicator for populations, not individuals, and it only measures one thing - body mass. It doesn't give any indication or otherwise of a person's individual health. It's good for averages, yes, but people don't measure themselves against the average, they measure themselves against the magic figure. You don't have to be built like a brick shìthouse either, you can be petite and still show up as underweight according to the magic figure, and more and more I'm seeing young girls particularly compete for figures less than 20, which quite frankly scares the shyte out of me!

About Nikki Manaj one could possibly guess there is a little bit of the race undercurrent there as well rather than it being exclusively about body type.

Guess? We both know there's absolutely the whole racial undercurrent going on there. It's certainly about body type when you see Miley Cyrus twerking her bony little arse all over Robin Thicke and then emulating Nicki Minaj's album cover by doing what has to be said is quite a feat of photoshop engineering when she appears to be sporting the same rather disproportionate rear end as Ms. Minaj!

Dear God, why do I have to know this stuff :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Pwindedd wrote: »
    And let's not forget, fat bottomed girls they make the rockin world go round !

Big bottom big bottom. Talk about bum cakes my girl's got 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Niki Minaj had a song called Superbass.

The skinny bitches theme (as in ''All about the bass'') is tedious, and tacky.
    I wouldn't be devastated over it but I find it tiresome. If you are happy with yourself why would you need to run other body shapes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Wouldn't find any of them particularly attractive, but perhaps as a counter-balance to the ridiculous body shape the media tend to push they serve some function.

At the end of the day, we're programmed to find healthy people more attractive than unhealthy people - it makes perfect evolutionary sense.

I'm ok with natural curves, I like them.

But rolls of fat?
    Not for me Clive.
    Not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/9/8/1410187036571/African-American-women-bo-001.jpg

1 and 2 underweight, 3 and 4 healthy weight range, 5 and above overweight to obese.

Wouldn't find any of them particularly attractive, but perhaps as a counter-balance to the ridiculous body shape the media tend to push they serve some function.

At the end of the day, we're programmed to find healthy people more attractive than unhealthy people - it makes perfect evolutionary sense.

I'm ok with natural curves, I like them.

But rolls of fat?
    Not for me Clive.
    Not for me.

There's a question - ARE we programmed? As human beings, are we actually programmed to find healthy people more attractive than unhealthy people?

That, to me at least, suggests that evolution as a concept has some specific purpose to propagate the species, and while finding healthy people attractive might make sense from a biological and reproductive evolutionary perspective...

Is that a reflection of reality?

(given that society is a social construction that evolved itself over time, independently of biological evolution).

Basically, to take your theory that makes sense to you, to it's extreme - we should all find the same person attractive. The reality is far, far more complex and complicated, to me at least, than -

"That opposite sex human being appears aesthetically healthy, we should procreate to propagate the species"

I'm just not sure human beings are actually 'designed' at all, let alone designed to function as you're suggesting.

She does say "skinny bitches" though, and in the video there's a slim woman who keeps being ostracised and is depicted as really full of herself.

after she says skinny bitches she says 'nah im just playin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,300 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Most of them look okay, albeit a little shy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement