Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2015

Options
  • 19-10-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello out there,

I just wanted to let people know that the Art O'Neill Challenge will be going ahead on January 16th and 17th in 2015.

We have opted for a postal entry followed by a draw to give everyone the same chance of getting one of the 200 spots.

Up to four entries can go in one envelope so pals can race together. Entries need to be received by October 31st. Full details of how to enter are on the Art ONeill Challenge website.

Any queries just ask or email

Thanks

The AON Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Entry forms have been in the post since yesterday morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I see to enter I need to include payment with the form... what happens if I do not get a place? I don't have a cheque book so would need to send a bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jlang

Where the registration form says "Ultra (Solo only)" does the "Solo only" relate in any way to the "multiple entries in an envelope" rule change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

jlang wrote: »
    Where the registration form says "Ultra (Solo only)" does the "Solo only" relate in any way to the "multiple entries in an envelope" rule change?

The "Solo Only" means that you cannot be guided like you can in the other categories.

What are the odds on getting an entry.. roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

mloc123 wrote: »
    I see to enter I need to include payment with the form... what happens if I do not get a place? I don't have a cheque book so would need to send a bank draft.

The entry checklist includes a SAE so any undrawn entries and the bank drafts etc that came with them will just get posted back to the sender.

Any other questions just shout.

jlang wrote: »

As DogSlySmile said this just relates to the slight issue we had last year with quite a few Ultras requesting guiding. We will only have limited guides available and they will only be walking from Checkpoint 1 to the Finish in Glenmalure. That's mad enough if you ask me.

Any category of entry can enter up to four people(with all the checklist items included) in a single entry envelope. That way a group of friends can enter and they all get in or all get left out.

This is the fairest way of doing I could think of considering the limit of 200.

mloc123 wrote: »
    What are the odds on getting an entry.. roughly?

Hard to be sure in last year's event it was about 3 or 4:1 - I'd expect it to be in the same region this time around. Still there's 200 places going a begging and not one of them is gone yet so get your entry in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Why is it limited to 200,
    Just out of Curiosity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

National Parks and Wildlife Service restriction.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    National Parks and Wildlife Service restriction.

You'd think they'd be trying to promote the use of the countryside, there be loads of people practicing/training and using the wicklow way and surrounding areas,
    And I know from previous personal dealings with npws there be a fee involved for using the tracks,
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think their issue is too many people at the same time causing erosion problems. They've put limits on a couple of IMRA races in recent years too.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think their issue is too many people at the same time causing erosion problems. They've put limits on a couple of IMRA races in recent years too.

That's crazy people who are doing these events have respect for the countryside,
    It's a once a year event and I'm sure the imra race don't race the same track every week,
    Sorry I'm ranting,
    Thanks

The 200 limit is imposed by the National Parks & Wildlife Service as they are the ones responsible for managing the National Park and Special Protection Areas(SPAs) that any event such as the Art O'Neill goes through. We are bound by the rules and want the event to have as positive an impact as possible. If that means keeping it small then so be it. Remember you have until the end of the month to get your applications in and if we get more than 200 a draw will take place to allocate places. Check the SignUp tab on the ArtONeillChallenge website for full details of what you need to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

haha, i might be returning from honeymoon the day before this! definitely submitting an entry so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Posted my application form yesterday morning as i was walking to the start of DCM. Always sign up for a mad thing before the next one has been completed:)
    Waiting game now... but this is a very fair way of selecting participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Accounts of some early Art O'Neill Walks:

http://www.simonstewart.ie/Longwalk/ArtONeill/art_oneill.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Any idea when the lucky and unlucky entrants will be notifyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Nothing from the postman again today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Endurancer123

BeBetter wrote: »
    Nothing from the postman again today :(

Post man could have got lost on the way to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Post man could have got lost on the way to you

Well for that comment now... if you get lost on the top of the Wicklow Mountains on Jan 17th I'm not coming looking for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Check your emails lads - there will be no post sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Just got 'the email', I'm in for next Jan! Of course I may regret this when I'm shivering on the side of a hill at 5am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Same here - delighted to be in!! Training time...big time!! :)

I am in also, entered under the 'Ultra'.. did all mails go out today? My sister was in under the trek but heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Wooo hooo. I'm doing the hybrid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got a mail confirming my entry.

100's of envelopes, paperclips, emails and a funny taste in my mouth and the draw is complete. Everyone who provided a legible email address has been contacted to give the results and the unsuccessful applicants have had their cheques returned by post.

It would be great to accommodate everyone but we need to observe the NPWS limits. Best of luck with the training to those who got in and better luck next year to those that didn't.

We have the makings of a another great Art O'Neill Challenge with a great mix of walkers, hybrids and Ultras of course. Both title holders will be back to defend their records but we have a very strong Ultra field so AON2015 could see a real challenge for those coveted first spots.

That's it for now but further event information will be made available here and on the Art O'Neill Challenge website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mont Blanc

Hi all,
    I was absolutely delighted to find out this evening that I'll be taking part in the Art O'Neill challenge in 2015. I'll be hiking the route and was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a suitable training schedule? I have started hiking in the mountains one day per week (at the weekend) and doing some cycling or walking on the roads in the evening. Does this sound like it's enough at all? I'm trying to build up my stamina and general fitness so do you think I should add in some gym work to this?
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Mont Blanc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was absolutely delighted to find out this evening that I'll be taking part in the Art O'Neill challenge in 2015. I'll be hiking the route and was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a suitable training schedule? I have started hiking in the mountains one day per week (at the weekend) and doing some cycling or walking on the roads in the evening. Does this sound like it's enough at all? I'm trying to build up my stamina and general fitness so do you think I should add in some gym work to this?
    Thanks for your help.

I guess it varies from person to person but I have found a mix of road and hillwalking worked for me. About 10km road walking a day and weekly 15 / 20 / 25km hill walks leading up to it. Try and walk each section of the route at least once as well and embrace all weather conditions....there is no guarantee of good weather on the event.

Finally I walked from Marlay to Glendalough (Wicklow Way) in one push about a week prior to the event which is not as tough as the AON but I found was good for confidence as regards doing the distance.

Advertisement