Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Stark wrote: »
    Well it's going to be the middle of the night so you're not likely to be perspiring much. I'd say bring 250ml if you need to take some water to feel comfortable but 1L would be way excessive IMO.

Depends on people.... Went running last night, was perspiring after 2km and drenched after10kms (no hat/ very light fleece top). While i usually don't drink for run less than 2.5h, i start sipping after 1h on long ones.
    I will start AON with a 1l pouch and refill at CP1 (plan to reach CP1 after 3h15min of running).

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Does anybody run with the head torch for the road part?

Probably not needed until you reach bohernabreena.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Does anybody run with the head torch for the road part?

You'd probably want it for the 1km off road section just after kilbride barracks. I certainly would have the head torch with me on section 1 just for that.

Looking at buying a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi Winter Lined trousers for AON hybrid. Seem to be getting good review.
    Suitable for cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Socks... what to wear?

I went out for a forest run last night which involved crossing some streams, I soaked my runners though. Are merino wool socks the best option for keeping feet dry while wet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

My feet froze and thawed at different stages last year even though I was wearing good socks and it was no big deal really. You can expect to be running through wet ground with freezing cold water at times so your feet will probably freeze but once you're on drier ground they'll warm back up again. I used the 1000 mile trail socks last year and they did a great job. I'm not sure there's any way to avoid cold feet at some point, maybe someone else who's done the race can advise. Or maybe it's different for walkers in hiking boots, I was in Inov8 X-Talons for the mountain.

BeBetter wrote: »
    My feet froze and thawed at different stages last year even though I was wearing good socks and it was no big deal really. You can expect to be running through wet ground with freezing cold water at times so your feet will probably freeze but once you're on drier ground they'll warm back up again. I used the 1000 mile trail socks last year and they did a great job. I'm not sure there's any way to avoid cold feet at some point, maybe someone else who's done the race can advise. Or maybe it's different for walkers in hiking boots, I was in Inov8 X-Talons for the mountain.

Yeah, I know my feet will get cold directly after getting wet. Last night tho even when I got back onto dry ground they were still cold 20-30 mins later. I was wearing cotton socks.. I will check out the 1000 mile trail socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Impossible to keep your feet wet most of the time. Although one year the ground was frozen solid and my feet stayed dry.

I find inov8 socks to be great. They keep the feet warm despite being soaked. After a dunking, the feet warm up relatively quickly and stay warm despite being soaked.

Could also be down to the trail shoes too as they drain relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I recently bought these socks which, it is claimed on the wrapper, are the best socks ON the planet - the best socks FOR the planet. They come in various forms depending on your requirements, eg. light - mid - heavyweight. I got them in Great outdoors and they're the best socks I've ever used. It states clearly that they perform best in damp conditions. However, I'm not a runner.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=17872

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yes, your feet will more than likely get cold and wet no matter what measures you take. Mine went numb completely in the last 2 years of the race (not so much in the cold years, as the water feezes to ice, which doesn't get into your shoes and socks). I generally use some form of hiking socks. I also agree 1000 mile socks are excellent. Think I'll have a look at Gravale's suggestion too!

• Advertisement

Holding Out for a Hero, RTÉ 2 Monday 9th December at 9pm

Neil Delamere takes on Ireland’s heroes, bringing the true story behind a favourite Irish icon. He will recreate Red Hugh O’Donnell’s daring escape by abseiling off the roof of Dublin Castle.

Gravale wrote: »
    I recently bought these socks which, it is claimed on the wrapper, are the best socks ON the planet - the best socks FOR the planet. They come in various forms depending on your requirements, eg. light - mid - heavyweight. I got them in Great outdoors and they're the best socks I've ever used. It states clearly that they perform best in damp conditions. However, I'm not a runner.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=17872

I bought a pair of this brand last week, I went for 'liners' as I wanted a very light sock. So far so good, feet dry quickly and warm up a couple of minutes after get wet.

I went into Great Outdoors last week and had hoped to buy two extra pairs of the heavyweight versions. Unfortunately they had sold out because there had been an invasion of walkers into the store that week and they bought them up. So, if anyone is thinking of getting the heavyweight version they should phone TGO first.

I am going to reccee from CP2 to table track early tomorrow morning, e.g. start from CP2 around 7:30.

What's the best way from Glenreemore Brook(O:024 007) to Art's cross? stay on the left side (north side) of Glenreemore Brook or shoot half way between Glenreemore and Asbawn brook?

This is the route I usually take on the left of the Glenreemore Brook, but others prefer crossing over to the other side, up the ridge and around to Art's Cross (or not). They avoid the steep climb to Art's Cross in the former route.

Glenreemore - Art's Cross(1).jpg

Anyone, perchance, travelling to Baravore in Glenmalure tomorrow (Saturday) morning? ;)

Gravale wrote: »
    This is the route I usually take on the left of the Glenreemore Brook, but others prefer crossing over to the other side, up the ridge and around to Art's Cross (or not). They avoid the steep climb to Art's Cross in the former route.

Hi Gravale,
    I followed your route on Saturday morning...shortest route to the cross but very steep.
    I came back down on the east side of the Art's cross, not as steep but terrain is worse IMO.
    The way down was not by choice :o... i messed-up my navigation from Art's cross to the 3 lakes and back. From the cross, i followed bearing 220 bearing, did not find the lakes, did a u-turn and followed bearing 40. Navigation was challenging (at least for me) as visibility was poor, and i could not sight far enough to get good references. I just had a compass and a map & don't know about pacing. So I lost my position.. Simple GPS on Smartphone would have made all the difference.

On AON day, i think i'll cross over and shoot half way between Glenreemore and Asbawn brook.

It seems that not all people visit Art's cross on AON day. I would have thought i'll be within the spirit of the event than to do so.

Yes, the steep ascent is an acquired taste which I've always enjoyed. I commend you for going to the cross too. ;)

My bearing from Art's Cross to Three Lakes would be 224° with 540 double-paces. Nowadays my gps does all the work for me from beginning to end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

….There is a faint trail on the SE side of the Balinagee River leading towards the forest entrance at O488 386…....

The forest entrance heading in to the woods before Ballinagee is at O 049 038 just for your info. I believe the GR given in the quote is a typo.

Also due to erosion on the upper reaches of Glenreemore Brook from Art's Plaque to Art's Cross we encourage ascending on the western side of the stream where the heather gives a safer ascent and also avoids the torn up area on the east side. A more direct approach to the cross is also possible but people would need to be familiar with any alternative as there is quite a bit of steep ground in this area.

With mandatory kit... do you have to carry it for the road section or do people leave it in their checkpoint bag and grab it before going off road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

mloc123 wrote: »
    With mandatory kit... do you have to carry it for the road section or do people leave it in their checkpoint bag and grab it before going off road?

There is mandatory kit for the 'Road Section' and for the 'Mountain Section'. All mandatory kit should be collected from participant 'drop-bags' at Checkpoint 1 in Ballynultagh.

As regards the route to Art's Cross. We recommend ascending on the western side of Glenreemore Brook and not using the more eroded eastern side. Both ways are steep but there is lots of heather, only occasional rock and no muck on the western side. There is also the option of taking one or other spur to Art's Cross but this extends the distance and involves mixed ground and potentially harder navigation.

The first information night for the 2015 event will be held in The Great Outdoors on Friday, December 19th at 8.15pm - The second info night will be at the same time and place on January 8th.

I found this website very usefull & simple to set up waypoints.
    http://www.biology.ie/convert.php
    It has the advantage of giving both OSI grid map coordinates and GPS decimals coordinates.

Also this site is of interested..give distance and bearing between 2 waypoints + map visualisation.
    http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Enjoy.

I went up to CP2 yesterday and hiked back towards CP1 through the forest. I was looking for an alternative route if I hit the forest on the corner with the river.. I think I have one now. I think it will be easier to navigate keeping the river on my right down the valley.

Excellent, though I always take the direct line to the forest entrance. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I went up to CP2 yesterday and hiked back towards CP1 through the forest. I was looking for an alternative route if I hit the forest on the corner with the river.. I think I have one now. I think it will be easier to navigate keeping the river on my right down the valley.

There's two approaches, well, there's loads.

One is to hit Billy Byrne gap and immediately head down to the river. That way, you can follow the river all the way to the forest before climbing up to find the gap. It's relatively straightforward navigationally.

Other is to stay high and to the east (your left) once you hit the gap and contour around.

If done right, you'll hit the forest entrance bang on without losing or gaining unnecessary height. Tricky though and you could hit the forest not knowing if you need to go down or up to find the entrance.

Djoucer wrote: »
    There's two approaches, well, there's loads.

One is to hit Billy Byrne gap and immediately head down to the river. That way, you can follow the river all the way to the forest before climbing up to find the gap. It's relatively straightforward navigationally.

Other is to stay high and to the east (your left) once you hit the gap and contour around.

If done right, you'll hit the forest entrance bang on without losing or gaining unnecessary height. Tricky though and you could hit the forest not knowing if you need to go down or up to find the entrance.

Yes. I was looking for a way into the forest without having to climb from the river up to the main gated entrance.

Ideally I would hit the gap head on as Gravale says but I know that the river should be easy to navigate down beside.

Heading to CP2 this weekend. Last time I was up there you could drive up the access road but there was a gate back on the main road... Is this ever locked?

I would prefer not to park out on the main road but also don't want to end up locked in.

Hiked cp2 to Art's cross and about 1/3 of the way towards the lake. The climb up to the cross is tough going.

• Advertisement

Hiked cp2 to Art's cross and about 1/3 of the way towards the lake. The climb up to the cross is tough going.

...and think you will have to do it after having ran/trekked 45kms or so.

I drove from oldbawn to CP1 on Sunday morning , and was tired when i reached CP1:rolleyes: I did not remember that this up-hill was so long.
    Then i trekked from CP1 to Glenbride... ground was frozen which actually made it easier, but the terrain is quite challenging as i did not find any other way than to cut accross heaters towards east of Billy Byrne's gap.

I am getting quite apprehensive about how tough this challenge really is.

Advertisement