Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I'll be no bother at all. ;)

If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

911sc wrote: »
    ...and think you will have to do it after having ran/trekked 45kms or so.

I drove from oldbawn to CP1 on Sunday morning , and was tired when i reached CP1:rolleyes: I did not remember that this up-hill was so long.
    Then i trekked from CP1 to Glenbride... ground was frozen which actually made it easier, but the terrain is quite challenging as i did not find any other way than to cut accross heaters towards east of Billy Byrne's gap.

I am getting quite apprehensive about how tough this challenge really is.

It’s daunting but if you breakdown it down, you can remove a bit of the apprehension.

The first leg I think is the toughest. It’s 30km of road running and it feels a bit unrelenting at times.

But I find that the second leg rejuvenates you. The road is gone, you’re switched on mentally and you’re no longer pounding the miles. There’s a bit of visual stimulation, you have a goal/target to reach.

I’ve always felt better on the second leg than the first.
    Then CP2, the finish line is almost in sight. The sun is up which makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Only done it once but found it went much easier on the night than I expected despite having done sod all training (Looking back over my training logs that I kept at the time and it's a case of "what was I thinking?"). The atmosphere of people around you carries you along the road section and like Djoucer said, the switch from road to mountains gives you a big boost. I felt much better on the second and third legs as well when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have it broken down into... 28km of road running and 22ish km of 'moving fast'.

In reality you only have 5km of rough ground from CP1 - CP2 and only about 6km between CP2 and the finish.
    I was surprised at how short the distance from the cross to the lakes and the lakes to the trail actually is.

Has anyone some good advice on finding Billy Byrnes gap after leaving the forrest trail? It is the only section I don't have a detailed plan for if viability is poor, apart from... head up to the ridge, veer left or a while and head south :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

(1) pre-load some waypoints into a GPS on your desired path
    (2) Take a compass bearing and follow it. Try to track what your doing on the map

And if you think you're still lost... follow the track up out of the forrest trail, and then follow the trench roughly westwards at the end of the muddy track up to near the top of the saddle. Set your compass to head south and keep going until your heading down a huge valley. Keep going down south in the valley, following the river down the centre if you like. when it get flatter and the coilte forrest becomes obvious you can try to find the fireroad 100 meters or so inside the forrest, or head uphill eastwards along the forest edge until you fins the big fireroad entrance at the forrest edge. Any of these fireroads/rivers, will take you to the Wicklow Gap road. Turn left along the road and then take the righthand fireroad down to CP2.

But really, option (1) is the easiest if your not sure of navigation.

Consider these. ;)

CP1 to CP2.jpg

CP1 - CP2.gpx

Thank you for the advice I am hoping to avoid using GPS but will load it up with a route and location points as a fall back.

Too late for another recce?

I have a point picked out on the forest trail on where to turn and head south. I don’t expect to be bang on but it’ll be enough (hopefully!) to put me on the right course.

Then there’ll be a few indicators, such as ground ascending, descending, streams etc.

Are you climbing for a bit long? You may have gone too far east and heading for Mullaghcleevaun etc

Down in Kerry this weekend which rules out another recce. Tbh, I am over thinking it at this stage. I have plans for every section, I should just be happy and stick with them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

mloc123 wrote: »
    Has anyone some good advice on finding Billy Byrnes gap after leaving the forrest trail? It is the only section I don't have a detailed plan for if viability is poor, apart from... head up to the ridge, veer left or a while and head south :/

There is a GPX file for the route downloadable from the Art O'Neill website and there will also be a 2nd information night about the event logistics, route & pre-registration in The Great Outdoors, on Thursday, January 8th at 8pm. It will give anyone with questions like these about the route to be answered.

In answer to heading for Billy Byrnes Gap you do the following:

Dib out of CP1 and follow the forest track to where it starts to climb through the forestry on a mucky trail. There is almost 100m of climbing to the col below Black Hill so watch your timing here to help monitor progress.

After that you need to head southeast for almost a kilometre before turning roughly south depending on your chosen route. Again, watch your timing here because if you don't start to descend you could be going too high on Mullaghcleevaun. After that the Ballinagee River should help steer you to the forest tracks.

The recommended Glasngollum Brook crossing point is at O05110483. There will be some route flagging from leading you to the crossing point and from there to the forest track which is followed to the main road which needs to be crossed carefully to get to CP2.

Golden Rule: Trust your compass, do the challenge with a competent navigator or follow a guided group.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Looks like it may be very cold on the night.
    FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Very cold towards the end of next week and into the following weekend (17th-18th), some chance of snow in many areas and temperatures not far from 2 C.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93738712&postcount=3562

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

I'm going in the hybrid group, just wondering what sort of pace range the groups will be going at for the road section (slowest to fastest). I seem to have an awful habit in races of ending up alone in the middle of the race, I'm slower than the fastest movers but not the slowest so end up in the middle alone?? Slow and steady is the game here so will try and stay with a group for the road run, I'm following a guided group for the hike, so really looking forward to that part!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Here is my plan, if that's of any help...

I plan to run around 10kmph (6min per km) for the flat & down parts of the road section to CP1, and alternate run/walk from Bohernabrena up to near Seahan.
    So, i guestimate it will take me around 3h15min to reach CP1.

BUT, having said that, time is a not importance tome. It will take the time it will take, and I am going to pace myself by feeling (e.g. HR).
    There is still a long way to go after CP1 and my plan is catch the bus at Barravore.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Cheers 911sc, I'll be around that pace, also depending on how I feel on the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

I was lucky enough to take part last year and raging I'm not able to do it this year. As Djoucer said earlier on the first leg, for me anyway, was the toughest part. A lot of road and surprisingly lonely at time when people get into their own paces. Leg 2 was my favourite, running through dawn and seeing all the head torches bouncing down Glenbride valley, running towards daylight.
    Leg 3, sure your nearly at the end...cant stop now. Once you hit the lakes it's downhill to Barravore.

It's some sense of achievement at the end mixed with "Im never doing that again"....followed a few hours later by "That was the best thing I've ever done" and "Fingers crossed I'll get in next year".

Best of luck to everyone taking part tonight. Well done to everyone involved in organising this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Endurancer123

jfk247 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to take part last year and raging I'm not able to do it this year. As Djoucer said earlier on the first leg, for me anyway, was the toughest part. A lot of road and surprisingly lonely at time when people get into their own paces. Leg 2 was my favourite, running through dawn and seeing all the head torches bouncing down Glenbride valley, running towards daylight.
    Leg 3, sure your nearly at the end...cant stop now. Once you hit the lakes it's downhill to Barravore.

It's some sense of achievement at the end mixed with "Im never doing that again"....followed a few hours later by "That was the best thing I've ever done" and "Fingers crossed I'll get in next year".

Best of luck to everyone taking part tonight. Well done to everyone involved in organising this again.

It's not until this time next week. You nearly scared me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

Whoops sorry about that Endurancer123, didnt even check the dates!!!!

At least there's another week to build up the suspense, apprehension, fear and excitement!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

jfk247 wrote: »
    Whoops sorry about that Endurancer123, didnt even check the dates!!!!

At least there's another week to build up the suspense, apprehension, fear and excitement!!!

Made me think twice as well, especially as I'd only planned to start obsessing about the weather from this weekend on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

911sc wrote: »
    Here is my plan, if that's of any help...

I plan to run around 10kmph (6min per km) for the flat & down parts of the road section to CP1, and alternate run/walk from Bohernabrena up to near Seahan.
    So, i guestimate it will take me around 3h15min to reach CP1.

BUT, having said that, time is a not importance tome. It will take the time it will take, and I am going to pace myself by feeling (e.g. HR).
    There is still a long way to go after CP1 and my plan is catch the bus at Barravore.

If you're not focused on time then that pacing will do you fine 911sc, but your guestimate is a good bit out if you're expecting to rock into CP1 on 3 hours 15 mins!! The first section is roughly 20kms flatish and 10kms climbing so if you do 6 mins per km for the 20kms you're going to take 2 hours. That only leaves you the luxury of 7 mins 30 secs per km for the climbs including any stretches where you walk to hit 3 hrs 15 mins - that's a big ask considering there are some tough climbs on the road. Once you walk you're down around 10mins/km. But if you're not focused on time then better to change the guestimate than to change the pacing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Enduro not joining us this year, apparently he's going to be a bit tired after a jog around Britain! Fair play Enduro, that's some challenge you're taking on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

BeBetter wrote: »
    Enduro not joining us this year, apparently he's going to be a bit tired after a jog around Britain! Fair play Enduro, that's some challenge you're taking on!!

..... and we all move up one place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

BeBetter wrote: »
    Enduro not joining us this year,!!
    don't count on it ,,,if his gear isn't too wet u never know,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ataraxia

I realise this a long shot but are there any late withdrawals or last minute injuries
    preventing any of the lucky participants lining up next wk?! I missed out on an entry this
    year but would reimburse anyone willing to sell their spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Unfortunately, I could not make it to neither of the information nights.

Few questions regarding organisation of bags:
    1- Information document refers to picking up "bib number and bag tags" are registration. How many bag tags are given?

2- Can we leave 2 bags at registration: one for CP1 (change over gear from running to hill walking) and one for Finish , or is all to fit in one big bag?

3- As bag transport leaves at 11:30pm and start for hybrids/runners is 1am/2am, is there an option to keep warm clothes until start time and pick them up at finish?

Thanks

1. Per info night, just one bag tag. It has same number as your race no.

2. Previous years, it was just one bag and the site does says to pack all extra gear for mountain stage and clothes for after race all into the one bag.

You can pack two bags into the one bag. Generally, the bag can't be huge. I pack post race clothes into a black bag that stays at the bottom of the bag with gear for mtn stage at top.

3. Dublin castle is warm on the night. There's some rooms to relax in before start. You'll be indoors.

You should be warm enough in your race gear. Previous years, I didn't put my all top layers till 10 mins before start.

It's on.

Looks like it could be frozen higher ground for Friday, possibly snow.

From Met Eireann.

"Friday and Saturday will both be cold, bright days with sunny spells and scattered showers of rain, hail, sleet or snow, the snow mainly on high ground. Daytime temperatures will range from 2 to 6 degrees."

"There'll be a sharp frost at night with icy stretches on roads."

I will take frozen ground and cold over the warmer wet and windy weather we have had for the last few weeks.

A south wind would be a killer.

Short snow shower in D8 in the last 30 mins...

• Advertisement

When you leave the road at Athdown and make your way through the fields leading out onto the road which brings you to the left turn to Ballysmuttan bridge, don't do what others have done in the past: wander around the wrong fields. Check out this photo and don't wander in the fields west of it.

Athdown Fields.jpg

Advertisement