Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Thanks Gravale for the great photo of Athdown. I will also be increasing the route marking through this short field section so it will be more difficult to go wrong than to stay on the right track even in the dark. Just look for the reflective yellow flags and you won't go astray but please remember to close the gates behind you as you enter/leave.

Thanks

AON

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone tonight, going by the weather over the last few days we've really dodged several bullets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Weather has definitely improved. Last minute packing and laying my gear out here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Are the results secret

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Would have been a great race for dot watching, pity there is no trackers.

Was following mloc for a while but network looks to have dropped and we lost him in the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Are the results secret

I wonder is it possible that the organisers are waiting for the last people to finish, packing up everything in glenmalure, enjoying their first chance to sit down with some hot food in the glenmalure inn, on their way home, currently working on the results or, dare I say it, asleep? All entirely possible so I'd advocate a bit of patience whilst you wait.

WAPAIC wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible that the organisers are waiting for the last people to finish, packing up everything in glenmalure, enjoying their first chance to sit down with some hot food in the glenmalure inn, on their way home, currently working on the results or, dare I say it, asleep? All entirely possible so I'd advocate a bit of patience whilst you wait.
    Yea dats possible,I wonder why d fock did I not think of dat,
    Don won,so did suzanne..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Anyone taking part won:)

Toughest race I have ever been in. Conditions were crazy. Head wind for the first 15km, roads like glass for the next 5km... The off road sections must have had 6 inches of snow up high and zero visibility at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results are up at redtagtiming.com

Mobile coverage in Glenmalure is not the best Ultra ;)

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Yes Suzanne won the ladies race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At least 2 regulars here, or former regulars, in and around the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff out of Warren finishing 11th in 7hr4min

#Team TriHarder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

What an epic event. Definitely the hardest challenge i have ever done.
    Conditions were pretty though, with ice/snow as early as Stone Cross and pretty much til the end.
    Reached CP1 after 3h40min, bit slower than i was expectin but arrived there in very good shape which was my primary objective. There was a nice fire there but knew that if i sat beside it, i would never leave! So changed and went on straight away solo.
    I did have a very bad time close to Billy Byrne's gap. Felt really bad and started to get dizzy. A guy passed by and stayed with me for a while. I had loads of bar/gel/sweet in my pocket and did not even think about it. It is only when he told me to grab some sweet/sugar that i did. I felt like a new man 5minutes later. He stayed with me til the top, and then he went ahead downhill into Glenbride once i was better. To you, stranger of the dark, a big thank you.
    Terrain was very challenging. No path, no reference, few inches of snow, rocks, holes, freezing water, fall, get up, fall again, get up and keep going, just making my way slowly towards CP2. Missed the forest entrance by going down too much too close to the river. So went back up along the forest edge, til i saw a marker. It was nice to walk on a path! Epic to see head torches all over the mountain in the night.
    Reached CP2, feeling tired, but dawn was a nice sight. Just one more leg to finish. Few kms of path, then started the climb to Art's Cross. So though after 42kms on the go.. Decided to take the west route after having talked to few ultra runners in Dublin Castle. As i was progressing, i had doubt about my choice as i had no reccee that way. Every so often, i found foot print in the snow, so i was either on the right track or not the only once lost! Once i reached the top, did trust the compass and follow 180 azimuth and came accross more and more foot prints. Looking good. Hit Avonberg river too high, so i had gone to far west. But i was so happy to see prints that i did not mind! Follow the river close to the right bank.. no great choice as difficult terrain, but brought me to the end in 10h17min, 6th in the hybrid category, so very very pleased with myself.
    The level of satisfaction I feel today reminds me of how i felt went i finished my first marathon. It's unforgetable..

Many thanks to organisers and volunteers.
    I have already posted my application form for 2015 draw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Another great day out on the mountains, conditions were tough but the spirit among the competitors was as strong as ever. Well done to the organisers again, such a huge amount of work involved. You have to respect everyone who takes on the challenge, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are it takes a lot of mental strength to get over the line. I think its great to see so much mutual respect between the runners and walkers. We got a lot of encouragement from the walkers as we passed and I made it my business to say well done to every one of them as I passed because I think it's a huge undertaking to be out there for so long hiking all the way. They must be shattered by the end of it.

I've been wrestling for a while now with whether to mention two things that frustrated me and I'm going to mention them and leave it at that. Firstly I think some clarity is needed on whether competitors should visit Art's Cross or not. For a timed event I don't think it's fair to compare those that do with those that don't. And this is very relevant right at the front of the field. It may make no difference to the standings but then at least everyone is measured the same. Secondly a front runner with a mobile aid station? Getting handed drink/food out the window while the rest of us lugged bags. That I was very disappointed with.

But those two things were small frustrations compared to all the good things the event has going for it. Well done to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

It's fairly clear re visiting art's cross. It's not a checkpoint so no one is expected to visit it. That's been the case for a few years.

There's a few shortcuts en route which is part of the appeal.

Getting gear en route would seem against the spirit of the event if its to achieve an advantage over someone.

Djoucer wrote: »
    It's fairly clear re visiting art's cross. It's not a checkpoint so no one is expected to visit it. That's been the case for a few years.

There's a few shortcuts en route which is part of the appeal.

Getting gear en route would seem against the spirit of the event if its to achieve an advantage over someone.

Ya I definite agree with you about the shortcuts and about the appeal of that element of the race. I certainly wouldn't want a defined route. I would always have considered Art's Cross to be an unofficial checkpoint though but it's very possible that my understanding is wrong, it's certainly happened before! There seems to be a bit of confusion about it though from chatting to people before the race. One sentence on the website would sort it for next year. Or maybe it's there and I've missed it? Feel free to correct me in that case.

And I'd agree with your last statement also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Some night, first time I've had the nozzle for my camelbak freeze on me! Just scrope in under 9 hours so a little slower than last year but big difference was that I did it on my own rather than with a friend. Main reason being that I'd just be slowing him down!

Made some silly mistakes that are too embarrassing to mention here :o but at least I can see how to improve my time next year (if I get in) without any real extra effort.

Personally feel that doing it with out visiting Art's Cross would seem a shame although seeing as I'm far from the pointy end it doesn't make too much difference to me. Pic below was what it looked like when I got there.

2nr08e1.jpg

Must say my pet hate of the whole thing is that path along by the river just before you reach the track to the finish, it keeps trying to throw you into the water, the thought of doing in the dark doesn't even bear thinking about!

BeBetter wrote: »
    Ya I definite agree with you about the shortcuts
    Calling them shortcuts is a bit disingenuous.and blackiningg a number of the front runners is also..either call the person out or dont

There are two checkpoints and a finish line... these are the only 3 points along the course you HAVE to hit, that is what I liked most about the race. I left CP1 with a group of people behind me.. that was the last I saw of them as once we hit the hill our routes split.

Half the fun is finding the best possible route from point to point.

Edit: Being crewed along the road is something that should be clamped down on, I think.

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Calling them shortcuts is a bit disingenuous.and blackiningg a number of the front runners is also..either call the person out or dont

Apologies yes that's not a correct choice of words, there are no shortcuts on a self navigated race.

As for calling someone out on boards that's not something I'm going to do. I just highlighted that I thought it was unfair. I haven't blackened anyone that knows that they completed the race/challenge fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Secondly a front runner with a mobile aid station? Getting handed drink/food out the window while the rest of us lugged bags. That I was very disappointed with.

I saw a car parked with hazard lights on before the turn off for Stone Cross. At first I thought it was one of the organizers cars but as I passed it was clear that they were looking out for someone in particular.

I also heard of someone stashing some drinks/gels the day before to be collected during the race. Is having someone on course handing you a drink any different to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jlang

Great event and my congratulations to the organisers. Really enjoyed it and delighted to improve on last year's time by over an hour.

First two stages couldn't have gone better, aside from repeated calf cramp. My placing suffered on the Table Track run at the end as my legs had just had enough. I kept running but I didn't have enough of a buffer over the trailing "pack" to hold them off as in turn they gained and passed by with ease.

I just re-read the route description on the website and it is somewhat ambiguous as to the required-ness of going by Art's Cross: "Section 3: Ballinagee via Art’s Cross to the finish at Barravore" and "You will pass Arts Plaque and Cross. There are several route options available here but all involve climbing up through steep ground to reach Art’s Cross".

Nevertheless, it was stated clearly at the information evening that while going to the cross could be a good idea as you can make use of a reliable navigation aid, to do so would be longer and is absolutely not required for this event. There are several other deviations from the traditional route, for various reasons.

I didn't go to the cross, but I didn't pick the most efficient route up the valley from CP2 beforehand either and I'm going to improve my route choice for this final stage on any future attempt.

One odd encounter - as I crossed towards Billy Byrne's Gap, I saw a headtorch over the ridge ahead climbing towards me and come over the top. The owner (earlier start) was unaware that he was actually heading North and claimed to not know how to use a compass. As I realised he may not have been joking, my mind boggled at how one would even enter such a event at such a competence level. The most charitable explanation I can think of is that he discovered he didn't know where he was (quite possible since he hadn't consulted either map or compass) and just headed for the closest/next light he saw. Organisers specifying and checking mandatory kit is one thing, but knowing something about the route and the most basic use of navigation equipment should be a self-enforced prerequisite.

Anyway, he turned around and accompanied/followed me closely as we went back over the gap and down towards the river, pausing with me as my legs cramped, etc. I got ahead past the river and I saw he ultimately made it to the finish in a respectable time.

jlang wrote: »
    One odd encounter - as I crossed towards Billy Byrne's Gap, I saw a headtorch over the ridge ahead climbing towards me and come over the top. The owner (earlier start) was unaware that he was actually heading North

That wasn't me but... at the same point I got very disorientated and confused and was convinced that my compass was not working as I was sure that what it claimed was north was actually south. In the end I went with the compass..

jlang wrote: »
    Great event and my congratulations to the organisers. Really enjoyed it and delighted to improve on last year's time by over an hour.

First two stages couldn't have gone better, aside from repeated calf cramp. My placing suffered on the Table Track run at the end as my legs had just had enough. I kept running but I didn't have enough of a buffer over the trailing "pack" to hold them off as in turn they gained and passed by with ease.

I just re-read the route description on the website and it is somewhat ambiguous as to the required-ness of going by Art's Cross: "Section 3: Ballinagee via Art’s Cross to the finish at Barravore" and "You will pass Arts Plaque and Cross. There are several route options available here but all involve climbing up through steep ground to reach Art’s Cross".

Nevertheless, it was stated clearly at the information evening that while going to the cross could be a good idea as you can make use of a reliable navigation aid, to do so would be longer and is absolutely not required for this event. There are several other deviations from the traditional route, for various reasons.

I didn't go to the cross, but I didn't pick the most efficient route up the valley from CP2 beforehand either and I'm going to improve my route choice for this final stage on any future attempt.

One odd encounter - as I crossed towards Billy Byrne's Gap, I saw a headtorch over the ridge ahead climbing towards me and come over the top. The owner (earlier start) was unaware that he was actually heading North and claimed to not know how to use a compass. As I realised he may not have been joking, my mind boggled at how one would even enter such a event at such a competence level. The most charitable explanation I can think of is that he discovered he didn't know where he was (quite possible since he hadn't consulted either map or compass) and just headed for the closest/next light he saw. Organisers specifying and checking mandatory kit is one thing, but knowing something about the route and the most basic use of navigation equipment should be a self-enforced prerequisite.

Anyway, he turned around and accompanied/followed me closely as we went back over the gap and down towards the river, pausing with me as my legs cramped, etc. I got ahead past the river and I saw he ultimately made it to the finish in a respectable time.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I guess it was clearer than I thought if it was mentioned at the information evenings. I feel a little tinge of disappointment that it's not necessary to actually visit the cross but at least I'm clear that the playing field was level.

I have to say that the mandatory kit inspection was very thorough this year so if anyone was out there unprepared it was definitely their own fault. A few friends were in a group doing it and they came upon a guy lost on the mountains on his own in the dark. He had no gps, no compass, and a hand held torch. He did however have a map! Maybe he thought the map would be useful to sit on while he waited to be rescued. Anyway they brought him along to the next checkpoint. Apparently he was meant to do it with a friend who was more experienced but the friend had to pull out at the last minute and our intrepid adventurer decided to continue on his own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

I saw a car parked with hazard lights on before the turn off for Stone Cross. At first I thought it was one of the organizers cars but as I passed it was clear that they were looking out for someone in particular.

I wonder was this the same car that forced me and a few other runners into the ditch on the climb to Killbride army camp as it went by with wheels spinning before grinding to a halt 50m ahead of us and sliding backwards and sideways on the ice. We took a wide arc and continued on and never saw the car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

A few friends were in a group doing it and they came upon a guy lost on the mountains on his own in the dark. He had no gps, no compass, and a hand held torch.

A guy without map and a hand held torch left PC1 with me once he knew that I had map/compass.... We lost contact near Billy Byrne gap.
    I caught him approx 1km to the finish, after he had gone for an extra miles in the forest instead of staying on path along the river.
    If it is the same guy, he finished 1st of the walkers :D

911sc wrote: »
    A guy without map and a hand held torch left PC1 with me once he knew that I had map/compass.... We lost contact near Billy Byrne gap.
    I caught him approx 1km to the finish, after he had gone for an extra miles in the forest instead of staying on path along the river.
    If it is the same guy, he finished 1st of the walkers :D

That could quite possibly have been him, the story of what he had or what he hadn't probably got distorted by the time it got to me! And ya that was around where they found him. They were running as much as they could so he would have been fairly moving along with them and would have finished well! I think they did get separated from him before the end so he could have gone wrong again!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Really enjoyed this years event, a big part of the appeal is definitely the ability of competitors to choose the best route and take advantage of navigational skills. Unfortunately I to did witness the same parked cars etc offering assistance to runners which I feel is against the spirit of the event. However I still finished second without assistance so I don't really think there is that much of an advantage during a slow endurance event.

Hopefully next years event will be as successful as this years event, milder weather would be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Really enjoyed this years event, a big part of the appeal is definitely the ability of competitors to choose the best route and take advantage of navigational skills. Unfortunately I to did witness the same parked cars etc offering assistance to runners which I feel is against the spirit of the event. However I still finished second without assistance so I don't really think there is that much of an advantage during a slow endurance event.

Hopefully next years event will be as successful as this years event, milder weather would be a bonus.

Is coming second without assistance better than winning with assistance :D

Advertisement