Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2015

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

911sc wrote: »
    I have already posted my application form for 2015 draw :)

Well done 911sc!

Is it possible to sign up for next year's AON already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well done all. Looked like it was a heck of a race this year. Was tempted to turn up on Friday night but common sense held out in the end :) From the splits it looked like a great battle all the way for the podium spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Enduro wrote: »
    Well done all. Looked like it was a heck of a race this year. Was tempted to turn up on Friday night but common sense held out in the end :) From the splits it looked like a great battle all the way for the podium spots.

I actually half expected to see you there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Well done 911sc!

Is it possible to sign up for next year's AON already?

While I love the enthusiasm we will not be accepting any early entries for AON2016. When applications are possible it will be announced on the Facebook page and on the website.

If you are really keen for something right now then I would suggest you check out the new version of Walk The Line which is another Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

The event is a commemoration of the original trek from Dublin Castle so while the open nature of route choice is there for people I think a quick visit to Art's Cross as a nod to the memory of Art O'Neill would be a good thing. We have never put a control here though and for now, don't intend to.

As regards compulsory kit, we recommend what we believe to be the right type and amount of safety gear that would help someone in the event of an accident. We don't want to become too militant in this regard but it was surprising that quite a few drop bags contained items like survival bags and foil blankets. It would be better if people carried these things.

In the interest of safety though we would very definitely not condone any assistance being provided to a participant from a car/vehicle. Aside from the obvious unfair advantage(for competing participants) the event takes place on narrow, unlit and often icy roads being shared by other participants and any unnecessary traffic on the event route is a hazard to everyone else.

That said though…I think it was another great race in testing conditions and well done to all who gave it a shot and hats off to all those who reached Barravore.

It was an amazing event. Looking forward to the next one already :)

Advertisement