Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a big Deadlift

• 19-10-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Literally my question is as the title suggests. What's the best way to go about building a very strong deadlift?

I presume some information on my current training and goals will help. I've trained on and off for a couple of years but only in the past year or so have I really started deadlifting and it's an exercise I love.

I'm tall (6'3), I currently weigh 95kg, not really carrying much excess weight at that to be honest but certainly could be leaner. I deadlift with the sumo style as early on I found it much easier on the lower back and as such I've always stuck with it.

I currently train 4 days a week and I essentially do a sort of 4 day bodybuilding split (legs, chest, shoulders, back). My first exercise in each session is a compound lift (squat, bench, military, sumo deadlift) and then I'd do maybe 3 more exercises each session for whatever body part I'm training.

I currently can pull 190 kg for 5 reps at the deadlift, haven't tried my 1rm in a while but last time I did it was 220 but that's a while ago and I reckon I'm a good bit stronger since. That lift however is quiet out of proportion with my other compounds (best I've squatted is 125 for 5 and best I've benched is 90 for 5 and 105 for 1) So my deadlift is quiet a bit stronger than those.

However I'd really love to get properly good at the deadlift and maybe even compete in the national deadlift championships if I could really improve at it.

But I'm just wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to tailor my training improve my deadlift (while not ignoring my other compounds) and how I could look to get the most of my training in terms of really developing a strong deadlift.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You could give the Coan Phillipi deadlift routine a go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    You could give the Coan Phillipi deadlift routine a go

Have you been thru coan phillipi before?

Hanley wrote: »
    Have you been thru coan phillipi before?
    I've never ran it. Simple because it would severely hinder BJJ/wrestling/mma.
    But I know a few people who’ve gotten good results with it. Including a few logs on here. I think the first time I heard of it was a few years ago on your log.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've never ran it. Simple because it would severely hinder BJJ/wrestling/mma.
    But I know a few people who’ve gotten good results with it. Including a few logs on here. I think the first time I heard of it was a few years ago on your log.

Most people who've ran in, including myself, blow up around week 6. It's a pretty recurring trend with the program tbh - and you'll see it in peoples logs if you look back on it.

The only way it can conceivably work for a drug free lifter is if they base the "predicted max" off their starting max in my opinion.

Most people who've ran in, including myself, blow up around week 6. It's a pretty recurring trend with the program tbh - and you'll see it in peoples logs if you look back on it.

The only way it can conceivably work for a drug free lifter is if they base the "predicted max" off their starting max in my opinion.
    I've seen that happen, I assumed that it was down to aiming too high. And that a smaller increase would have been alright.
    Interesting idea to aim for current max, I assume that means equally your PR in the last session and trying to beat it on test day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do this:

Normally the answer to 'I want to get really good at X' is 'do a **** ton of X'. That just doesn't work for the Deadlift imo, as the recovery demands are too high. Even with great diet / mobility / recovery pulling heavy multiple times a week carries an injury risk.

I got great results this year from just running 531 (skipping the deload weeks) for my Deadlift and bringing a lot of intensity to the top set on a weekly basis. With loose assistance work scattered through the rest of my programming (Kettlebell swings; Power Cleans; Pull Ups / Chin Ups; Clean / Snatch Pulls; Rowing).

In that sense, the Coan recommendation seems okay in so far as it's asking for one big set a week. I'd say go easy on the desired max however when filling out the calculator.

EDIT: I see Hanley addresses the point about filling out the calculator above. Certainly makes sense to put in your current max. Still works out as tough numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bkqwerty

I had a look at that programme and I like the sound of it, I was conservative enough with my desired maximum deadlift like ye all said so I now know what weight to use on all the deadlifts but how do I know what weight to use on the assistance exercises he recommends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bkqwerty wrote: »
    I had a look at that programme and I like the sound of it, I was conservative enough with my desired maximum deadlift like ye all said so I now know what weight to use on all the deadlifts but how do I know what weight to use on the assistance exercises he recommends?

You should have an idea what would be challenging for the sets and reps for each exercise. If you don't, take a session to work it out.

Don't be looking to go to failure. Have a good rep in the tank at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bkqwerty

Haven't actually been able to start the coan phillipi yet but I want to this week. I tested my 1rm last week and got 230 and while it was tough it wasn't a total struggle so that's my starting point.

What do ye think is achievable if I follow this for 10 weeks. Would 245 be reasonable?

bkqwerty wrote: »
    Haven't actually been able to start the coan phillipi yet but I want to this week. I tested my 1rm last week and got 230 and while it was tough it wasn't a total struggle so that's my starting point.

What do ye think is achievable if I follow this for 10 weeks. Would 245 be reasonable?

Not really.
    Most people who've ran in, including myself, blow up around week 6. It's a pretty recurring trend with the program tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I successfully ran the 10 week Ed Coan program. Went from 205kg to 220kg. The circuits are a killer. Worth it though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

magnusson/ortmayer deadlift program helped me a lot

Advertisement