Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Transport a large motorbike in a Van

• 19-10-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question. I need to transport a (very) large bike about 150km away - it is a Honda GoldWing GL 1500 and I can possibly do it in a Ford Transit Van. Do you think it would be possible? I can't ride the bike on the road, so that is why I am asking the question.
    I understand I would need to make some sort of a ramp to ride the bike onto the back of the van and then secure it inside. Secondly, I see it may be tricky to offload the bike on my own.
    Another option is that I can hire a bike trailer from a friend and a car that can pull the whole train.
    The bike is not for me, I am just trying to help my friend to transport it.

Any help and comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There's a bit of work involved in transporting a large bike in the back of a van and if its not done right it can go horribly wrong.
    To get a Goldie in and out of a van I would be suggesting a minimum of two people and better to have three.
    It's not advisable to try to drive a such a heavy bike into the back of the van unless its a very high roof and door arrangement and your "ramp" is almost the full width.
    The reason I say that is because, if in trying to get it up the ramp you stall the bike, or have to stop suddenly, you need a good wide area to get your feet down and maybe guide the bike back down the ramp.
    Once in the van you need to ensure that it is strapped down correctly to protect the bike and the van in preventing the bike from toppling over on a sharp bend.
    My advise would be to borrow or hire a suitable bike trailer, much easier to load the bike onto and off from, strap the bike down well and get it there safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Wouldn't fancy pushing a gold wing into a transit and there's no way you'll get it out by yourself . If I was you I'd pay a pro to move it for you .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The van would need adequate tie down points, and youd really need to know what you are doing. As mentioned, one person wont load or unload this. Alone, you WILL drop it. The van would need to be the high roof version and even then you'd have to check clearance.

A trailer is a better option, but you'd still need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Would it not be easier to pay a mate a few bob to ride the bike for you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Where to and where from.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where to and where from.....
    It is to be transported from Dublin near M50 / M7 down to Co. Kilkenny. Just checked, it is about 134km.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Seweryn wrote: »
    It is to be transported from Dublin near M50 / M7 down to Co. Kilkenny. Just checked, it is about 134km.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I've a fair bit of experience on bikes that size and my insurance would cover it, I dont have a problem moving it if its road worthy and you the costs.

Aye, thats a very short trip to be honest. if you are badly stuck I can give you a hand out too If KTRIC cant sort you out (which I am sure he can) My insurance would cover it and you cover my train, bus, limo or chopper home.

I knew the lads on here would sort you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Aye, thats a very short trip to be honest. if you are badly stuck I can give you a hand out too If KTRIC cant sort you out (which I am sure he can) My insurance would cover it and you cover my train, bus, limo or chopper home.

I knew the lads on here would sort you.
    Guys, thank you for your responses, it is very much appreciated. I will see how things are, will try to organise it and will update later :).

No probs, somebody will sort you out mate. If its a case of you can drive it and no comfortable, maybe all you need is someone to go with you on the spin down. Could easily be organized on a Sunday Spin for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

put a gold wing 1800 in my van on saturday, no big prob really, you gotta drive it in but not sitting on it tie up front brake put it in gear strap it to side about 5 times put ramp under side stand.

Advertisement