Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gadget to make a HDD wifi enabled..

• 19-10-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

OK here is what I need to do...

I am at present using usb drives stuck into the side of my TV to view movie files... Its a pain taking it in and out to update.. I am also concerned over time that I will break the connector ,,

SO I have the brainwave is there an option for a harddrive to be connected to my TV by USB cable... and the files transferred by WIFI or BLUETOOTH to that drive ..

Any and all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=chromecast&authToken=

Get a chromecast, or a media streaming device of some sort. But a chromecast will do what you want, for peanuts. Just stream direct from your laptop to the tv, no mess, no fuss and cheap as chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Chromecast is a good option, but here is another option.

WDTV Live Media Player

It site under your set, connects via HDMI, and you can connect 2 HDDs to it via USB.

It is accessible vis WiFi, so you can transfer files over from your laptop to the HDDs, simply drag & drop in explorer, without moving off the couch :)

I've yet to encounter a file it won't play either.

The chromecast is good, but laptop storage is small enough - I've got 4TBs hanging off my WDTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

sunny2004 wrote: »

I am at present using usb drives stuck into the side of my TV to view movie files... Its a pain taking it in and out to update.. I am also concerned over time that I will break the connector ,,

SO I have the brainwave is there an option for a harddrive to be connected to my TV by USB cable... and the files transferred by WIFI or BLUETOOTH to that drive ..

Any and all help appreciated

I have my HDD connected to my router which I can then send files via FTP on my laptop or phone. Then I use my Chromecast to stream from the HDD.

Or you could by one of these - www .amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Flash-SDWS2-032G-E57/dp/B00DBX371C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415291807&sr=8-1&keywords=SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Flash-SDWS2-032G-E57

the Q/A section on amazon says it cant be used while plugged into a tv ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

usb-extension-cable-active-amplifier-cable-17ft.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

mikom wrote: »
    usb-extension-cable-active-amplifier-cable-17ft.jpg

That was my first thought.. a simply male to female USB cable, then I got all JAMES BOND on it and wanted the ability to send via WIFI from my laptop...

ie, download file, sent to drive, watch on TV, While ms moneypenny made me a cup of tea, shaken not stirred..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That was my first thought.. a simply male to female USB cable, then I got all JAMES BOND on it and wanted the ability to send via WIFI from my laptop...

ie, download file, sent to drive, watch on TV, While ms moneypenny made me a cup of tea, shaken not stirred..

I know.
    Looking for all those elements myself.

Advertisement