Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re homing dogs

• 19-10-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

we are breaking up and have 3 dogs. more than likely we will have to rent when we move on and may have to consider rehoming our much loved dogs. has anybody ever had to do this before. I cant even think of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is there no way you can rent somewhere that will take the dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lilydonoghue

I will but I cant take all the dogs - I don't even want to have to choose one of them. I think ill insist he finds somewhere too that he can take two of them. as well as our own 3 we foster another dog and its been a long term ad I don't even want to give her back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Honestly OP, shelters are so unbelievably over run at the moment that chances of your dogs getting a spot are very very slim, and if you surrender them to a pound you surrender them to a completely unknown fate. Surrenders only get 24 hours in a pound before being put to sleep, if even, unless they're lucky and taken by a rescue group.

It's not easy when a break-up happens, trying to deal with everything that involves and on top of all that trying to move on with the dogs, especially when renting, but it can be done.

You have a responsibility to them.

Some places might not be listed as pets allowed, but the landlords might be open to it- the best thing to do is mention the dogs after everything is agreed and before you sign the lease. I like the idea of a pet reference- a photo of the dogs, and a little letter of recommendation showing that the dogs are well looked after and no trouble. If you can get one from a current landlord, that would be best, but a vet or groomer or dog trainer could work too.

Also, offer an additional 'pet deposit' just so you can show the new landlord you're seriously confident that your dogs won't cause any damage or be any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can one of you not stay where you are currently renting and keep the dogs there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Why can't one of you take all three? I rent & have 4 dogs & live alone with my children, one of which has huge care needs. I manage very well.

Could each of you take some of the dogs?

• Advertisement

I would never put my dogs into a shelter. we live in a huge house that neither of us can afford to keep on our own. we originally said we would take two dogs each and I think I will have to insist that the other half sticks to this. In reality I could never give them to anyone else. they are spoilt rotten and haven't a clue about hardship. I love them all and cant even choose which ones I would like to continue living with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What a horrible situation to be in. bad enough that your relationship is ending, but having to worry about your dogs too. I feel for you. Hope everything works out with 2 dogs staying together with each of you. Very good luck to you and best wishes...

Thanks for all the support guys. its heartening to know most are dog lovers and thank you anob for the kind words

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

I would never put my dogs into a shelter. we live in a huge house that neither of us can afford to keep on our own. we originally said we would take two dogs each and I think I will have to insist that the other half sticks to this. In reality I could never give them to anyone else. they are spoilt rotten and haven't a clue about hardship. I love them all and cant even choose which ones I would like to continue living with me.

Choose which ever lifestyle the dogs would prefer....i.e let them choose not the other way around and then it will be easier for example if one needs a huge amount of exercise...that dog should continue living with the person who can provide that. So not what you would necessarily like but what home you can provide for the specific dog.

Advertisement