Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOG Galaxy

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

So i don't know if you have heard but gog is making a client like steam only DRM free

So what do you think could this be a panacea for gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sounds great, I love GOG! Show me a version of a game with DRM at the same price as one without and I'll take the DRM free version every day of the week. I notice GOG are releasing more modern games too which is good too.

Will it get bigger than steam? Unlikely. But that really depends on how Valve handle steam. We know PC as a gaming platform is booming lately and Microsoft certainly don't seem to give a flying feck about providing competition to Valve.

To be honest, it actually might start sizing up to Valve's steam if Valve keep screwing up with region locks lately... that's one of the biggest issues I've heard with steam (aside from the terrible customer service) and it's only getting worse with them secretly adding region locks to even indie games that had no prior region locks to the point of even the indie devs being surprised it was added to their games without their consent. It just makes the service quite unpopular for those who travel a lot or have unconventional circumstances. That along with every other restrictive issue that comes with DRM and online checks.

If GOG's client provides everything Steam does... automatic updates, fast download of games, accessible library to compile your games (even ones not native to said platform) then it might actually start taking off in a big way... or at least it should anyway. I wish em' all the luck and will keep an eye on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It will never fly big simply because all the big gamer makers unless they allow DRM so no; while I'll use it and love GoG they are not the steam killer people play them up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm really looking forward to it. One of my trivial annoyances with GOG is having to re-download games when there's an update so hopefully this will fix that. I also hope they keep their fantastic download speeds you get with their current downloader, even Origin seems faster than Steam these days but GOG is a whole different level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doubt it will kill steam but it will be very welcome by me. I prefer all my games in a system like steam rather than having to look for them through my start menu or directory.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

GoG have been doing their thing very well for a number of years now, makes sense that they'd give the "store and management platform app" thing a spin. Fair play to them, delighted to see them expanding their business and I hope it continues to grow. I signed up for the beta (and the free AvP game of course) and have yet to hear anything from them yet, but it's not like I'm stuck for things to play :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got my beta key during the weekend. It's unfortunately not a beta test of the platform, it's seems it's just for server stress and the multiplayer functionality. If you play the multiplayer component of AvP then they are getting data back. Pity as I would love to give the platform a spin.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got my beta key during the weekend. It's unfortunately not a beta test of the platform, it's seems it's just for server stress and the multiplayer functionality. If you play the multiplayer component of AvP then they are getting data back. Pity as I would love to give the platform a spin.

Ah I thought it was going to be a beta of the platform too.I didn't get a key or the game in the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Uhm... you wouldn't get a key at all since it's DRM free, no? I'd assume you'd just get an email that the game is now listed in your account to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I got an email yesterday, you get a key to redeem.

Advertisement