Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is?

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    My dad took this photo last week when he got home from work and we're wondering what it could be. It was taken at approx 3:15am on Saturday 11th Oct.
    sorry for the blurred photo but he took the pic on his phone and it's at max zoom.
    He said the object wasn't moving accross the sky and it just hung there. He says it was really high up and just looked like a bright star.
    It's the strange shape that has us wondering. We thought it could be the space station or a satellite of some sort. Any guesses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Was the shape apparent before the photo was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

shedweller wrote: »
    Was the shape apparent before the photo was taken?

Yeah that's what prompted him to take the pic. It looked just like a bright star at first but when he looked closer he noticed the shape of it.

Well given it was taken on a phone and has a definite shape i would say it is airborne and not spaceborne. If it were spaceborne it would make the ISS look like a lego set!
    I'm really curious as to what it is though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There was a dazzling moon almost overhead at that time, maybe it's a hovering seagull reflecting the moonlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There was a dazzling moon almost overhead at that time, maybe it's a hovering seagull reflecting the moonlight.

Definitely not. It was too high up. According to my dad, it seemed to be up extremely high and that's why he thought it was a satellite at first.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Definitely not. It was too high up. According to my dad, it seemed to be up extremely high and that's why he thought it was a satellite at first.
    I just had a thought. Could it be one of those quadcopters. Theres a white one and if yer man had a few lights on it so he could see it as it flew (or had a spotlight pointed at it) it would look not too dissimilar to your pic.

Or not! Just guessin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I know you mention the height, but could it be something like that ? http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Anti-Gravity-Hovering-Floating-String-less/dp/B00J4JXDE8

It could look very tiny up there, and it is reflective so with the moon...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

El Guapo! wrote: »
    He said the object wasn't moving accross the sky and it just hung there.

I'll guess it was due South, above and to the left of the Moon. High in the sky, but not right overhead.

The Plieades cluster.

Advertisement