Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical wiring a light fitting

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I tried to fit a new ceiling lamp today.
    The existing fitting had two brown wires and an earth wire coming out of the ceiling.
    Should there not be a blue wire instead of one of the two Browns?
    What would happen if I wired up the blue wire in the new fitting to the wrong brown wire out of the ceiling?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Awrawa wrote: »
    Hi
    I tried to fit a new ceiling lamp today.
    The existing fitting had two brown wires and an earth wire coming out of the ceiling.
    Should there not be a blue wire instead of one of the two Browns?
    What would happen if I wired up the blue wire in the new fitting to the wrong brown wire out of the ceiling?
    Thanks,

Depends on age of installation, that will determine colours. It sounds like its not a really old installation if there is an earth cable present at the light. Be very careful that it is actually an earth - colours mean nothing if not wired to a standard.

If you are in doubt contact an electrician is the best bet. It is possible to identify what all cables are but beware as if colours are wrong at one light then it could replicate itself on other accessories.

Best get a professional in as light may have to be rewired if possible...apologies i could not be of any better help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

depends on type of light fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Practically it does not matter. It will be fine the way you suggested.

Do, however take enormous care when doing this work - there is a real risk of lethal voltage occurring even if you have isolated the circuit.

I suggest you do to work during daylight and switch off all power during your work

adrian92 wrote: »
    Practically it does not matter. It will be fine the way you suggested.

Do, however take enormous care when doing this work - there is a real risk of lethal voltage occurring even if you have isolated the circuit.

I suggest you do to work during daylight and switch off all power during your work

Id disagree with that completely - polarity is very important especially if the lamp type is ES. It would not be fine to wire the light the way the Op suggested in my opinion.

Awra. - your question was, I understand, what would happen if the brown wire was connected to the blue.

The answer is your light fitting will work fine - not a thing to worry about.

Very important though that the earth connection made.

Very important too too switch off all power in your house when doing this work.

• Advertisement

Awra, just to add par1 is completely correct.

I would just emphasize that the earth connection be made and any work carried out with no power anywhere.

Of course, one of those two brown wires should be blue, to indicate the neutral.

I think , on balance, par1 may support my suggestion

adrian92 wrote: »
    Awra, just to add par1 is completely correct.

I would just emphasize that the earth connection be made and any work carried out with no power anywhere.

Of course, one of those two brown wires should be blue, to indicate the neutral.

I think , on balance, par1 may support my suggestion

I was just trying to highlight that there may be a hazard such as polarity etc incase OP was not aware.

Totally agree with Adrian92 and do support that the light would work once live and neutral are present regardless of colours.

Advertisement