Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

texas - girl on my own

Options
  • 19-10-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I'm thinking of visiting texas next year, dallas and san Antonio.
    Has anyone been?
    Is it mad to go on my own?
    Appreciate any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just a holiday or on a J1?

Absolutely loved San Antonio and Austin, was really pleasantly surprised. Would go back in a heartbeat and happily on my own. Didn't make it to Dallas though so can't help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Hey
    I'm thinking of visiting texas next year, dallas and san Antonio.
    Has anyone been?
    Is it mad to go on my own?
    Appreciate any advice

Can I ask why Texas? I used to live there and no I wouldn't really recommend it. I'm not sure what you would be expecting from there. I will say San Antonio is nice but only for its River walk and the Alamo. Austin is an OK city too especially if you visit while SXSW annual music festival is on around March I believe. There would be a great buzz in the city at that time especially on sixth Street where most of the clubs/venues are situated. Dallas has really good rooftop bars and an excellent farmers market and off course the book depository and JFK's assassination site in downtown.

Will you have a car? Texas is so huge and the transportation system leaves a lot to be desired. For me personally when I visit a city or place I like to see a lot of greenery and pretty scenery, great architecture and interesting streets. Dallas is just a concrete city. It does have a huge park, its name escapes me now, but it just wouldn't be anywhere as beautiful as your typical ordinary park in Europe or even NYC's central Park or Boston common in Boston.

So, what would it be that attracts you to Texas? If it's excellent food and nightlife then you'll love it but otherwise I'd give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

It's a holiday.
    Just thought texas would be a different place e to do. I've done all the usual city's
    I like sightseeing and shopping and would love to see a rodeo
    I won't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

It's a holiday.
    Just thought texas would be a different place e to do. I've done all the usual city's
    I won't have a car.

I was in Dallas last year, car is a must, lovely place and lovely people,
    The Dallas forth worth stock yard rodeo I went to, brilliant. Not for the faint hearted or Squamish,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you're outgoing and social then going anywhere on your own will be great. Going with friends and travelling is great too but on your own you're totally free and decide absolutely everything you want to do with your short time there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's a holiday.
    I won't have a car.

You really would need a car

I definitely will not be having a car. I plan to do day tours to fort worth and the rodeo.
    Ive been away on my own many times, just worried about Dallas being safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I applaud you for venturing further than Boston and New York. There is way more to USA than those two cities, great as they are.

How long is your trip going to be? You can visit Fort Worth as mentioned. Also there is Southfork and the JFK Grassy Knoll

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've worked in Dallas on a few occasions and can confirm it's a dull spot with very little to offer. It's officially the last place on earth I'd ever visit again.

What was mentioned by the poster above can be seen in an afternoon. The JFK exhibit is slightly interesting, south fork was shockingly run down and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Texas is a great spot, especially Dallas fort worth.The people are very friendly and there is alot to do. I would say its very safe OP, like everywhere there is places to avoid.

I also agree with what everyone above has said OP, about needing car, it's a shame you cant rent one for a few days because the place is just so damn big!

• Advertisement

I was going to do 3 nights in Dallas (by the time i get there it will be night time) then 5 nights in San Antonio.
    I want to do shopping for 2 days in san antonio.
    In Dallas was planning a tour of dallas one day then up to fort worth and the rodeo the next.
    San Antonio a tour one day then maybe up to the vineyards or something
    I dont want to rent a car as ive never driven on the other side, and i wouldnt feel very comfortable on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It sounds like your mind is made up; At least go to Austin too, its the one city in Texas that people actually recommend visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I was going to do 3 nights in Dallas (by the time i get there it will be night time) then 5 nights in San Antonio.
    I want to do shopping for 2 days in san antonio.
    In Dallas was planning a tour of dallas one day then up to fort worth and the rodeo the next.
    San Antonio a tour one day then maybe up to the vineyards or something
    I dont want to rent a car as ive never driven on the other side, and i wouldnt feel very comfortable on my own

Rent a car. Thousands of tourists do it every year. They get on perfectly ok, so why shouldn't you? I understand you may find it daunting, but it's not as hard as you think. I lived in the US for nearly 20 years and I moved back here in 2011. I never drove in Ireland prior to moving back here. I was absolutely terrified at the prospect of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. But it was fine. Being by myself, made it easier. I wasn't distracted by anyone else and I could concentrate 100% on my driving. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Driving in the US is generally less stress free than it is here...as there are far fewer buses, cyclists & pedestrians than there are here. You'll feel very, very proud of yourself once you have done it. It will also open up America much, much more to you than if you have to rely on public transportation (which is crap in Texas) and tour buses all the time.

I might rent a car for san Antonio as that's where I'll be doing all the shopping.
    I thought about Austin but I'm not really into night life so wasn't sure what else was there
    I'm planning to go next October, what will the weather be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP if you are heading to Texas, make sure you take in a few nights (at least 2!) in Austin. Sixth Street is so much fun! Austin is probably one of my fav cities in USA - it really is not to be missed.

Also avoid the summer months. Especially if you're going to be a pedestrian.

I might rent a car for san Antonio as that's where I'll be doing all the shopping.
    I thought about Austin but I'm not really into night life so wasn't sure what else was there
    I'm planning to go next October, what will the weather be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

October, the weather should be OK. If you are going to do Dallas, Austin and San Antonio you really should be driving. But you can fly from Dallas to Austin too.

If you are planning to shop in San Antonio, best bet is San Marcos on the way down. Make sure you check the times for the Alamo being open and what times the tours run on the river-walk.

Oh.. and DO NOT go over the border to Mexico, unless you have all the paperwork for the visit and return in place.
    It happens frequently enough that people don't realise they will have issues getting back across.

How near the border is it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It takes all of 5 minutes to get a hang of driving on the other side of the road. It's the signage that's the pain in the arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

About 150 miles. Gulf of Mexico, yes. Mexico itself as a single female in a US plate car, Not advisable.

If you wanted to do a drive that would take you somewhere different, I'd be more inclined to do the eight hour trip to New Orleans. Or have it included in your flight itinerary as an overnight stopover or two day stop over.

I would be very worried about new orleans on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even Austin which has a relatively pedestrian-friendly city centre has no sidewalks in the suburbs. I had to drive the 200m to the 7-11 to buy a pint of milk when I was there a few years ago on a work project. The gardens of the houses came right down to the edge of the road - no footpaths. You're nobody in Texas without a car. You can do downtown Austin on foot but cities like Dallas and (especially) Houston were not planned with pedestrians in mind. Cheap gas(oline) means the car is king. The heat in summer is also a factor, you need a/c everywhere to protect you from the 40C heat.

OP, driving on the right is dead easy, you get used to it very quickly. Just make sure you understand the local rule about 'turn right on red' and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I would be very worried about new orleans on my own.

Why? New Orleans is one of America's great cities. It has more history or character, than all of Texas put together imo. You'd be mad to let any "I'm gonna be murdered in my bed" paranoia, or post Katrina scare mongering put you off. Yes, it is poorer than the big cities up north, or out west. Yes, some of the dodgier neighbourhoods are quite close to the city, but over all it is very, very tourist friendly city. It is well worth a visit, much, much more so than Dallas/Ft Worth, or San Antonio are imo.

If all you are just going for a couple of days, to see the touristy stuff like French Quarter, Garden District, do a bayou or Mississippi cruise etc etc, you don't have a thing to worry about, even if you are a sole female traveler. Bourbon St is not everyone cup of tea. Some people think its great craic. Some people think it is the epitome of sleeze. But if it's not for you, there are plenty of other places to see and things to do. New Orleans is also very compact and easy to see on foot. It also has a great street car system. You'd get away with having no car there no problem.

There's nothing to worry about in New Orleans.

I'd take a week in New Orleans over a month in texas.

new Orleans is totally unique in the USA. Its one of the very very few cities that hasnt destroyed its old historic city centre and the architecture is absolutely amazing. A kind of french carribean. Its like being in Havana.

Plus the fact that the people are incredibly friendly, the food is amazing and the music is everywhere all the time. And there's so much to see and do. Plus the shops are world class.

coylemj wrote: »
    You're nobody in Texas without a car.

Yes you are...you're target practice!

;)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yes you are...you're target practice!

;)

Thanks for making me feel a whole lot better

Dont even consider crossing the border from southern texas.

One of the most violent parts of mexico is around the border area of southern texas. I dont think it gets much coverage in europe but there's been an ongoing drug gang war for many years now. Read the wiki.

"By the end of 2013, the estimated number of killed in the Mexican drug warfare was topping 111,000 people.
    Through 2012, the number of killed by November was at 18,161.[224]
    Through 2013, the number of killed by November was at 10,929.[225]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War

Thanks for making me feel a whole lot better

Sorry.

Its not really that bad. Almost though.

:o

• Advertisement

Slightly scared now