Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Waterless Coolant....?

• 19-10-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Any lads on here ever used "Waterless Coolant" in their machines. Was reading up on it and the benefits are quite good considering....

Eliminates Overheating
    Reduces Pressure
    Prevents Corrosion
    Increases BHP
    Stops Erosion
    Ultimate Anti Freeze Pretection

Its expensive but never needs to be changed apparently.....any views on it lads.

http://www.evanscooling.com/products/powersports-coolant/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Supposed to be good stuff, boils at 180ºC so you will likely never boil it.
    Some price though and you have to flush the system with the prep fluid first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its around for cars an awful long time, just wondering if anyone can attest to the benefits. Not really thinking about getting it TBH although maybe it could do two bikes in the one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lets see.

"Eliminates Overheating"
    My bike doesn't overheat. That's why I have a cooling system. If it did, my coolant would boil over.

"Reduces Pressure"
    The current system has been designed for the viscosity and flow rate that a water/antifreeze mix currently gives.

"Prevents Corrosion"
    Corrosion shouldn't be a problem using proper de-ionized water in your current mix. Car coolant mixes also include small amounts of anti-corrosion products already. Radiators currently break due to heat stress in the metal over the years, causing cracks to form. Not many ways to avoid that.

"Increases BHP"
    I don't see how it could possibly increase bhp. Are they planning for you to inject it into the engine

"Stops Erosion"
    Ohh I see its like a game. Let me try:
    Counters Deterioration
    Avoids Decay
    Thwarts Wear
    Inhibits Degeneration

"Ultimate Anti Freeze Protection"
    Why do I need protecting from antifreeze? I'm not planning to drink it.

Here's what I think. A engine coolant system is a simple process. You take the heat from the engine and transfer it to the liquid. There different ways you can improve that. You can get the liquid closer to the source of the heat. You can increase the surface area the liquid flows over, usually through the use of thermal fins. You can increase the flow rate of the liquid. Or you can increase the thermal conductivity of the liquid. The same applies in reverse, in regards removing heat.

This product can be compared to water in three simple points.

Its worse at transferring heat by a very large margin. Nearly 2:1(0.58:0.270)
    It also boils at nearly twice the temp of water.
    Its twice the viscosity, so its going to move at half the speed with the same pump.

So now knowing these facts I'm going to assume that your water pump is going to be pushed far beyond what it was specified to do. Your probably going to run much hotter then designed as well in terms of engine temp. The system won't transfer any heat from the engine, since the flow rate and conductivity are so bad. Engine temperature sensors are usually measuring the liquid temperature, not the actual engine. So the coolant will stay nice and cool though and the temp dial if you have one will show a nice low temp for a very long time.

I feel comfortable saying this because water as a cooling medium is used in quite a lot of industrys worldwide, with no viable alternatives because its a damm good coolant. Industry's such as electronics, where a magic liquid such as this would have immediate and noticeable effects would be using it in a heartbeat.

If you have a cooling problem with your bike, you have a problem with your cooling system. Not your liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

This stuff is mainly used in big engined classic cars.

No need to use it in a modern bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id say it would be ideal in race bikes and the like also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Id say it would be ideal in race bikes and the like also.

I spoke to the guys sellin this before about use in race bikes.

It HAS NOT been approved for race use

Coolant fluids other than plain water are as a rule banned from most if not all circuits because its more slippy than oil if spilled on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looking back at this when its not nearly 12 at night, I'm not entirety surprised by the lack of one basic concept on their site. There is practically zero data on their site. No tests, no comparisons, not much of anything.

I'm a IT engineer in networking and the first thing that came to my head is I can drive down the m50 for 10 minutes and pick up a thermal camera off my mate. Then I adjust the idle timer on my car, to put it at 2/3/4/5k rpm and measure the the engine temp at a few critical points including radiator temp at timed intervals. Then you wait for the engine to cool flush the system, drop the magic liquid in and do the same. Ambient temp won't vary much, but you can easily track and account for it.

That's what, a person for about 6 hours, a thermal camera, and maybe 3 hours to plot the graphs and write the whitepaper? Voila, your magic liquid is shown to be great in a easy to replicate valid test. Understandably, if its your product you might want to invest the time to actually bother doing something like that if it actually worked.

Or as I said above, if it just happens that your engine temps skyrocket and the coolant stays cold, then you clearly wouldn't want a test like that to happen.

Advertisement