Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missing (BBC drama)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That'd be the tumour, no?

:D boom boom. They could have had anyone appearing to him but chose these characters - there's probably a good reason for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Could be more to him alright. Two people appeared to Baptiste the last night when he was tripping out - the guy who followed him in Iraq and Sophies father. Both could be due to something at the back of Baptiste's head which he hasn't quite figured out yet but which might come to him this week.

Ah, the guy who followed him in Iraq!!!!! There was no guy following him. It was all in his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah, the guy who followed him in Iraq!!!!! There was no guy following him. It was all in his head.
    Really do we know that for sure? I thought there was a guy following him. I know he was seeing things in the last episode but i thought they portrayed it was being 'real' in the scenes in Iraq :confused:

Could be more to him alright. Two people appeared to Baptiste the last night when he was tripping out - the guy who followed him in Iraq and Sophies father. Both could be due to something at the back of Baptiste's head which he hasn't quite figured out yet but which might come to him this week.

Could it not just be that guilt over what happened to that man has been plaguing him all these years. I mean the man's wife jumped off a building in front of him, he wasn't able to save her. And he wasn't able to find his missing daughter.

ariana` wrote: »
    Could it not just be that guilt over what happened to that man has been plaguing him all these years. I mean the man's wife jumped off a building in front of him, he wasn't able to save her. And he wasn't able to find his missing daughter.

aye it could indeed be just that ... I'm just leaving all options open until they're definitively ruled out! :D

Really do we know that for sure? I thought there was a guy following him. I know he was seeing things in the last episode but i thought they portrayed it was being 'real' in the scenes in Iraq :confused:

yea, but i rewatched it all. when yer man was following him in Iraq, there was a shot off him looking at the follower through the market, but camera panned to a mirror and there was nobody there... hence it was in his imagination. there was another indication also that there was actually nobody there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

ok so before tonight. I think lucy is the real alices daughter.
    I think alice might still be alive in the basement,
    and is locked with the child during the day till bedtime
    then he locks the child upstairs in bed.
    But alice is cheeky, and answers back, so he chooses sofie.
    Sofie is doing what she can to keep both alice and lucy alive.
    Im not sure why he took lena, or what part she plays.

and when stone tells sam she always wanted a family, maybe he was talking about his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

dollyk wrote: »
    ok so before tonight. I think lucy is the real alices daughter.
    I think alice might still be alive in the basement,
    and is locked with the child during the day till bedtime
    then he locks the child upstairs in bed.

But alice is cheeky, and answers back, so he chooses sofie.
    Sofie is doing what she can to keep both alice and lucy alive.
    Im not sure why he took lena, or what part she plays.

and when stone tells sam she always wanted a family, maybe he was talking about his wife.

Possibly a good theory - but what's happening to Alice now that he's relocating to Switzerland with the child, to meet Sophie?
    Who was the body in the shed - do you think that was Lena?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

yea, but i rewatched it all. when yer man was following him in Iraq, there was a shot off him looking at the follower through the market, but camera panned to a mirror and there was nobody there... hence it was in his imagination. there was another indication also that there was actually nobody there.

Who does he represent then? Must be significant in some way.

Looking forward to tonight and what new twist they'll throw our way to get our brains fried again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Who does he represent then? Must be significant in some way.

Looking forward to tonight and what new twist they'll throw our way to get our brains fried again!
    read somewhere that there will be a new actor.
    He cant be the childs father from iraq, the son said he was dead ?
    to answer the other question, Im not sure what lena part was at all.
    Maybe she seen them in the fairground and recognised Gettrick?

• Advertisement

What is the time line of Lena's disappearance?

Just on the child, it has to be Sophie's considering her pregnancy was confirmed by the hospital staff. Could be another child involved yet as we know very little about Alice at this point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What is the time line of Lena's disappearance?

Just on the child, it has to be Sophie's considering her pregnancy was confirmed by the hospital staff. Could be another child involved yet as we know very little about Alice at this point.

You're right! I completely forgot about that - thanks
    All the mad theories on here are taking me away from the facts haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    You're right! I completely forgot about that - thanks
    All the mad theories on here are taking me away from the facts haha

Well in fairness, we know she had A child, that doesn't mean that Lucy is necessarily her child.

I do wonder who is minding Lucy in 15/16 after Sophie left, Gettrick was giving out about the smell in the room in 15 so that would suggest he wouldn't leave a young child alone for hours on end.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't address it for the conclusion.

I do wonder who is minding Lucy in 15/16 after Sophie left, Gettrick was giving out about the smell in the room in 15 so that would suggest he wouldn't leave a young child alone for hours on end.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't address it for the conclusion.

Sophie was still there in 15.
    For all we know, she has only just arrived recently in Switzerland

Sophie was still there in 15.
    For all we know, she has only just arrived recently in Switzerland

Ah right, I had got the impression she was there a while, not that long after the scenes with Gettrick in 15 anyway as there was a sense of urgency and panic there, plus Sophie seemed distressed by the delay.

It still leaves the baby sitting question open though.

Ah right, I had got the impression she was there a while, not that long after the scenes with Gettrick in 15 anyway as there was a sense of urgency and panic there, plus Sophie seemed distressed by the delay.

It still leaves the baby sitting question open though.

It's possible, but I don't think we have been told enough yet to determine when she went there.

Yea I also wondered about who was minding the kid alright, but it is possible gatterick just leaves her alone. He is a whack job after all!

well she was in the basement like i thought
    we knew someone had to be minding lucy
    does it look like sophie is for or against alice ?

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Possibly a good theory - but what's happening to Alice now that he's relocating to Switzerland with the child, to meet Sophie?
    Who was the body in the shed - do you think that was Lena?

just been anaswered, he brought her along, Im thinking sophie was not happy at home
    and dreams of a life with her daughter alone, not sure if she likes or hates alice,but looks like alice will get to come home
    I dont think sophie will make it for some reason

am still thinking sophie baby died, and she calls both girls mummy.
    Sophie might want alice to be hers, so she goes along with whats being done to alice. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

well she was in the basement like i thought
    we knew someone had to be minding lucy
    does it look like sophie is for or against alice ?
    She wasnt too impressed when the monkey was for Alice!

Kalyke wrote: »
    She wasnt too impressed when the monkey was for Alice!

and she said he hardly fed Alice for days, but im thinking it was her that didnt get fed and got sicker quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Baybay

Missed the first fifteen minutes or so.

So, Nadia was in the negligent OIC in Iraq, Gettrick had an unhealthy interest in a local 10/11 year old, was abducted by her father in retribution & Stone & Reid rescued him, killing the girls sister in the resulting fire. Is this the case?

How did Baptiste realise it was Gettrick?

am still thinking sophie baby died, and she calls both girls mummy.

Na. In the car Lucy asks gatterick, will "she" be ok.

Who spotted the lock, I knew when he lifted it in Iraq we would see it again.

Locks were all removed from the door in the house and repaired to leave no sign.

Sophie looked terrified of gatterick when they arrived at the cottage. She certainly ain't on his side and is clearly doing what she has to do in order to protect her child.

So Henry was guilty and that's why he sent the money. I reckon he knew nothing of the abductions till the end and found out somehow, was gonna spill the beans so gatterick had to whack him.

Stone seemed a bit more evil and up for shagging the young ones in Iraq. Sophie knew him. He was involved.....but not sure how much?

Preview didn't give much away for next week..... nothing much left to guess, just gonna be a bit of an action filled thriller by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Stone seemed a bit more evil and up for shagging the young ones in Iraq.

Literally nothing about the flashback suggested or implied that whatsoever.

I get the impression Stone was your typical Army Major type, the Army's reputation must be protected and you will obey orders, though it was odd when the father mentioned his 13 year old daughter he didn't seem to flinch, though that could be to emphasise how much of a good guy Reid was in all of this.

Then again the butcher's wife doesn't come well out of the whole thing and I don't think she was guilty of anything, barring negligence and covering her fcuk up.

That leaves how Stone and Sophie seemed to know each other when she identified Herz, the butcher in the photo. That suggests Stone was involved.

Reid found out something about Gettrick in 14, Stone got involved in the cover up to save the Army's face, probably happened quickly hence the trans prostitute story line? Stone did what he felt he had to and probably didn't know the full scale of it all.

Wont say I told ye all about Alice, but! Seriously, it was just a feeling which then became a hunch when it came out about the army investigating the shed fire.

Thought it was a good episode, no real fireworks but explained a lot, I'd expect to see plenty of action in the finale.

We've yet to see how Sophie was actually abducted, same with Lena, could be some type of pedophile ring or a German connection. Could be still something with Sophie's father yet.

Remarkably easy house to break in to considering 3 abducted girls were inside! Odd seeing Keely Hawes as timid and scared in Gettrick's house, too used to seeing her in Spooks and Line of Duty.

• Advertisement

I think that geddrick was watching alice for a while.
    When he takes her she is too wild and trying to escape
    sophie is the taken to "watch" Lucy.
    sophie is the weak one and does what shes told, but its alice he wants to break.
    still think alice is lucys mother.
    now sure if sam done something that made him want to take his daughter.

Wont say I told ye all about Alice, but! Seriously, it was just a feeling which then became a hunch when it came out about the army investigating the shed fire.

Ehh in fairness I think plenty of us were saying Alice was still alive (I was banging on about this in a number of posts purely because Baptiste still believed it). At least it puts the grave theory to bed! It also confirms that Lena was the body in the shed so the DNA must have been tampered with.
    I think most ends are tied up now and as you say it's just a matter of confirming how Stone and Sophie knew each other. I think you're right in that it probably is linked to Stone protecting the army.
    I also think that Sophie has something planned to get rid of Gettrick - she certainly is not happy to be with him. She doesn't seem to be keen to have Alice around either but it's hard to know based on the little we saw - she may be jealous or she may be putting on an act, she is a pretty good actor after all!

Literally nothing about the flashback suggested or implied that whatsoever.

Well maybe I'm being a bit blunt, K-9 put it better than me. But Nadia told us that Stone was out and about shagging anything with a pulse in Iraq. Also Stone knew the exact house to go to look for Getterick in, so surely that has some kind of indication as to what kind of bloke Stone was. Reed was clearly of a different mindset. He didn't want to disobey orders and leave the base and he wasn't happy about doing it either. Found himself between a rock and a hard place and paid the price.

However, nothing we saw last night could explain the hate Reed jnr had for his dad surely? His dad didn't but the place down. Is there more to Henry Reed yet?

Also, Stone said.... "What we did to that girl" Was it really "we", or should it have been "I"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

However, nothing we saw last night could explain the hate Reed jnr had for his dad surely? His dad didn't but the place down. Is there more to Henry Reed yet?

Also, Stone said.... "What we did to that girl" Was it really "we", or should it have been "I"?
    They killed an innocent child while rescuing a pedo.

Is that not a good enough reason to hate someone?

I think that geddrick was watching alice for a while.
    When he takes her she is too wild and trying to escape
    sophie is the taken to "watch" Lucy.
    sophie is the weak one and does what shes told, but its alice he wants to break.
    still think alice is lucys mother.
    now sure if sam done something that made him want to take his daughter.

Sophie was taken 2 years before Alice and long before Lucy was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

I feel Henry Reed was genuinely ok, the kindness he showed to that little boy back in 1991 - I think he may have showed some kindness to Sophie also, hence the flowers on the grave but how he got involved and murdered still has to be revealed. He must have been some threat to Gettrick for some reason. Still a few loose ends!

Ehh in fairness I think plenty of us were saying Alice was still alive (I was banging on about this in a number of posts purely because Baptiste still believed it). At least it puts the grave theory to bed! It also confirms that Lena was the body in the shed so the DNA must have been tampered with.
    I think most ends are tied up now and as you say it's just a matter of confirming how Stone and Sophie knew each other. I think you're right in that it probably is linked to Stone protecting the army.
    I also think that Sophie has something planned to get rid of Gettrick - she certainly is not happy to be with him. She doesn't seem to be keen to have Alice around either but it's hard to know based on the little we saw - she may be jealous or she may be putting on an act, she is a pretty good actor after all!

Yeah its a funny one isn't it. She doesn't seem happy with Adam but yet she definitely seemed jealous of Alice last night. And last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago) she seemed a bit put out that Adam might lose interest in her because she's getting older (when he was cutting her hair and said it made her look 'younger'). I guess at this stage she has mixed emotions, in some regards he and their life together is all she knows and he is her access point to her daughter.

And agreed the big unknown now is the level of Stone's involvement with Gettrick. I still don't think he knows about the kidnappings but i can't explain how Gettrick convinced him to get Sophie to identify Hertz in the picture or how Sophie knew him...

I wonder was the 'girl with alabaster skin', the girl who died in the fire? We don't know what he saw when he looked through the glass in the door when he went back in, he looked for a second and then ran out. I wonder has that sight haunted him, was she still alive and could possibly have been saved.

LennieB wrote: »
    I feel Henry Reed was genuinely ok, the kindness he showed to that little boy back in 1991 - I think he may have showed some kindness to Sophie also, hence the flowers on the grave but how he got involved and murdered still has to be revealed. He must have been some threat to Gettrick for some reason. Still a few loose ends!

Agreed Reid was portrayed as having some decency in last night's episode. I'm guessing the obvious is the Reid found out about the girls and was no longer happy to cover up for the Army's bad apple and was killed.

Yeah, it could be that poor Sophie is so messed up mentally that she both hates Gettrick but still needs his attention and to be his number 1. I'm hoping that her time away may have given her space to come around a bit and plot something for Gettrick but given the first series I'm not sure this will have a happy ending.
    One thing is for sure, the acting in this has once again been top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Y
    I wonder was the 'girl with alabaster skin', the girl who died in the fire? We don't know what he saw when he looked through the glass in the door when he went back in

She was an impoverished Iraqi teenager - I very much doubt her skin would be alabaster!

She was an impoverished Iraqi teenager - I very much doubt her skin would be alabaster!

How do we know she was impoverished? And she wasn't a teenager, she was 9, she was the boy's younger sister, we saw the 13 year old leave the house before Stone & Reid entered. But yes you are probably right that she wasn't who he was referring too all the same, i'm just trying to join dots :)

Just thinking back on last night's episode... Adam said to Sophie about Alice 'back in the day when she used to behave' (or something along those lines), and obviously at one stage he trusted her enough to let her go on the roller coaster. I wonder what changed that she is now held a prisoner in a cell, i wonder is it something to do with Stone/Reid, did she get out & get the attention of one or even both of them. It would explain Reid having to be killed as he was already living with the guilt from Iraq, there was no chance of him covering for Gettrick again. Whereas maybe Stone's silence was bought.

Also, what relevance is Adam's missing wallet/phone going to have, remember he reached into his pocket? Is it what will lead to his capture i wonder, if the investigators find it in the house. Or will there be another consequence?

im thinking its the young policemans fone.
    And maybe " alice " dropped a hint to matthew when she
    asked him to promise something ?
    like take a trip to Switzerland .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Assume Gettrick had to use his credit card to buy the toys after leaving cash behind, this might be a way of linking him to where they are now - Baptiste will probably show photos of girls around the town and that barman that ran after Sophie with her bag will recognise her.
    I only realised that Henry Reed was a medic so he may have been asked to attend births of Lucy and any other babies born in that house and was probably brought in when Sophie had the appendicitis, couldn't help her, recommended she go to hospital....mind working overtime here! Hence flowers on grave.

opps

typed twice.

• Advertisement

Assume Gettrick had to use his credit card to buy the toys after leaving cash behind, this might be a way of linking him to where they are now - Baptiste will probably show photos of girls around the town and that barman that ran after Sophie with her bag will recognise her.
    I only realised that Henry Reed was a medic so he may have been asked to attend births of Lucy and any other babies born in that house and was probably brought in when Sophie had the appendicitis, couldn't help her, recommended she go to hospital....mind working overtime here! Hence flowers on grave.

Good call Lennie, think you're on the money there with both the credit card theory plus how Reed might tie in with Sophie.

im thinking its the young policemans fone.
    And maybe " alice " dropped a hint to matthew when she
    asked him to promise something ?

like take a trip to Switzerland .

I thought that she asked him to go and see Hertz and apologise for her.

Yeah bang on with the credit card theory i'd say.

Interesting re. Reid, i missed that about him being a medic. It's hard to see him staying quiet if he'd known about Alice/Sophie all those years. After last night's show and how he was in Iraq over the dead girl i can't see it unless Gettrick had something huge on him.

Yeah bang on with the credit card theory i'd say.

Interesting re. Reid, i missed that about him being a medic. It's hard to see him staying quiet if he'd known about Alice/Sophie all those years. After last night's show and how he was in Iraq over the dead girl i can't see it unless Gettrick had something huge on him.

Well we know that Reed felt guilty enough about what happened in Iraq to be sending money to Mizar all these years so presumably this is what Gettrick was threatening him with - exposing that story.

Well we know that Reed felt guilty enough about what happened in Iraq to be sending money to Mizar all these years so presumably this is what Gettrick was threatening him with - exposing that story.

But if he exposed that story isn't he exposing himself in an even worse light... he has more to lose you'd say as he is already holding 2 girls at this stage (assuming he only involved Reid during Sophie's pregnancy/labour) :confused:

It may well be that Gettrick knew/felt that Reed (it is Reed btw, not Reid! :D ) would not call his bluff on it ... which may have changed just before the point where Reed was killed. We saw how Reed went along with things in Iraq despite his own feelings, as Stone commanded he do it. Maybe Stone was also influencing Reed to keep quiet.

It may well be that Gettrick knew/felt that Reed (it is Reed btw, not Reid! :D ) would not call his bluff on it ... which may have changed just before the point where Reed was killed. We saw how Reed went along with things in Iraq despite his own feelings, as Stone commanded he do it. Maybe Stone was also influencing Reed to keep quiet.

That's plausible enough... for tv anyhow :)

I'm looking forward to next week and having the last few loose ends tied up. I'm still not convinced about Stone. The 2 lines that confuse me

to Sam "i wonder what ever really happened to Alice..."

Ok this was 2016 and i know he is suffering Alzheimer but this sounded to me like a moment of clarity and i really genuinely believed he didn't know what had happened her.

to Eva "that's enough fresh for you..."

In 2014 outside the hospital after she gave birth, this sounded eerily controlling and like the words of a kidnapper.

I wouldn't say the grave theory is out yet at all, Lena is still unaccounted for as indeed is Reid. It's still a possibility, especially considering it is only 1 girl dead now. It's unlikely though as Gettrick had the basement to hide a body.

It is odd the Sophie and Alice dynamic, maybe jealousy if Gettrick favoured Alice more? Or possibly Alice was the one that was going to escape, but you'd think Sophie would want that to. Then again the girls are hardly thinking rationally and objectively in all this! Maybe she was a threat to the move to Switzerland, and indeed is a threat now in 16.

I wouldn't say the grave theory is out yet at all, Lena is still unaccounted for as indeed is Reid. It's still a possibility, especially considering it is only 1 girl dead now. It's unlikely though as Gettrick had the basement to hide a body.

It is odd the Sophie and Alice dynamic, maybe jealousy if Gettrick favoured Alice more? Or possibly Alice was the one that was going to escape, but you'd think Sophie would want that to. Then again the girls are hardly thinking rationally and objectively in all this! Maybe she was a threat to the move to Switzerland, and indeed is a threat now in 16.

I would imagine it was Lena in the shed only because, who else could it be?

Also, do we know what he done with Jorn's body? Someone said previously he put him in the car (I missed that bit) but is it possible his body is in the basement?

• Advertisement

Surely Lena was the girl in the shed? If you think she is still unaccounted for then who was the body in the shed?

Advertisement