Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missing (BBC drama)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Yeah good episode tues night. really exciting stuff and well done. jimmy nesbitt is a great actor, like that actor who plays the French detective, Baptiste, good scenes with him driving fast after who killed the undercover cop.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The last scene was pretty harrowing viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

The last scene was pretty harrowing viewing.

Chilling. Have decided not to watch it anymore.

That would never be shown to the father firstly. Secondly where on earth did the footage come from? Cliffhangerbait that's all.

The series stated off great but has now descended into the usual standard of ****e on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

That would never be shown to the father firstly. Secondly where on earth did the footage come from?
    the filming came from a party at the house opposite who handed it in now years later after they where asked if they saw anything. It was the police checking the film who saw the boy over the road being grabbed in slow motion on the tape and showed it to Jimmy Nesbitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Got it thanks. I was changing a nappy at the time and obviously missed the link.

I decided right at that scene I won't be watching anymore, was really enjoying it before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Finally found Ep2 on youtube on Sunday, watched Ep3 last night amd will be back for more.

just two questions though, not sure if there were answered, but when did the police liaison officer and the mother get together, and whats the link with the uncover officer and who shot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Finally found Ep2 on youtube on Sunday, watched Ep3 last night amd will be back for more.

just two questions though, not sure if there were answered, but when did the police liaison officer and the mother get together, and whats the link with the uncover officer and who shot him.

I think the fact it flashes between the kid going missing and the present day means it will all make more sense as each episode is aired.
    I think it's really good so far with lots of avenues still to be opened along with lots of unanswered questions.
    I think there's probably a major peado ring in the area but whether they took the little fella or are trying to cover their scent..............

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Can anyone direct me to episodes 1/2, tried the link posted above but thats coming up blank for me.. Have episode 3 on planner but never got the first two.any help much appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think they're introducing a lot of sub-plots just to keep it going for 8 episodes. The raid on the house the junkie had absolutely nothing to do with the missing boy (I know they thought it did) but imo it looks like they're building up a conspiratorial sex ring that includes the mayor and the Scot.

I don't really like the mother, don't think she's a very good actress.

• Advertisement

Can anyone direct me to episodes 1/2, tried the link posted above but thats coming up blank for me.. Have episode 3 on planner but never got the first two.any help much appreciated, thanks!

Had a quick look on youtube with no joy, and unfortunately cant seem to see history on my tablet past two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tried BBC player before alright but i'm working off i phone for now so cant get the add ons to view in ROI unfortunately.... I think they were on you tube briefly but missed them so hopefully they'll pop up again.. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Recorded Episode 3 and watched it this evening. The last scene was really chilling. I think it's an excellent drama, really interested to see where they go with it. Hubby reckons the hoteliers husband was involved in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have only watched first 2 eps so far (will watch 3 and 4 later) but I'm very impressed, seems like they took a lot of inspiration from some of the better 'Nordic' t.v. shows.

Any links for Ep 4 on you tube? Watched 2 there and think seen a link for 1 or 3. Cant find any now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The fourth was the best episode yet.

Found it. Incase anyone else missed it...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUgpNXIMsY

Found it. Incase anyone else missed it...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUgpNXIMsY

Thanks, was looking for them few episodes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Watched Episode 4 this evening and found it rather dull. They are definitely laying foundations for the big reveal which, as someone else speculated earlier, will most probably be a paedophile ring which will involve all these characters we've been introduced to fleetingly. By far the poorest episode but the rest have been excellent so will continue watching.

Anybody still watching this? It's going from strength to strength.

One of the best British made dramas I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I was put off by the ending last night. I preferred the earlier episodes, thought they were more believable, you could picture yourself in the awful situation that was unfolding and therefore I found them more tense. Now it's just descended into sensationalist, tabloid, over the top violence. Too much going on now, and to stretch it over 8 episodes it just seems the writers are throwing everything at it to see what sticks. Disappointed because I was really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I feel the same. I can't see how are they going to get around what happened last night without making a dogs dinner of it all together. Also feel that one more episode would wrap it up at this stage without over-egging

Birneybau wrote: »
    Anybody still watching this? It's going from strength to strength.

One of the best British made dramas I've ever seen.

Good alright- did you catch Happy Valley earlier this year?

Not yet, it's on the list. The long, long list...:)

I like this more than happy valley. Didn't take to the main character in happy valley. Although would agree about the end of episode 5 - how wouldn't the retired / now not semi-out-of-retirement cop not know or not have suspicions about that - would be unlikely to be helping him in the present day if he did. some great things in the show - love how they framed the simultaneous action in Paris and the town with the world cup final :)

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not yet, it's on the list. The long, long list...:)

I have about 40 series on my list of watching/ to watch....not enough time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, the dream sequence Ken Stott and the wife on the boat thing is throwing everything open to speculation. Being approached by a beautiful lady on a Parisian street is also a bit of a dreamlike clanger. I'm sure our hero fantasises about killing paedophiles and being seduced by strangers but did any of it actually happen ?
    We'll see next week if he convincingly covers up the murder. If its just glossed over, this is one of those "it was all a dream" pieces of whimsy.

I think the couple on the boat is all her dream. The girl taking him back to her atelier was a bit too fit to be believed, "you look Irish want to go to bed" if only it was that easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think the couple on the boat is all her dream. The girl taking him back to her atelier was a bit too fit to be believed, "you look Irish want to go to bed" if only it was that easy

Yes the couple on the boat was a dream. She is In a nursing home

Well, the dream sequence Ken Stott and the wife on the boat thing is throwing everything open to speculation. Being approached by a beautiful lady on a Parisian street is also a bit of a dreamlike clanger. I'm sure our hero fantasises about killing paedophiles and being seduced by strangers but did any of it actually happen ?
    We'll see next week if he convincingly covers up the murder. If its just glossed over, this is one of those "it was all a dream" pieces of whimsy.
    was he not missing, decleared dead though in the present day at the end of ep4. So he either gets away with it, or the death is covered up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

glasso wrote: »
    how wouldn't the retired / now not semi-out-of-retirement cop not know or not have suspicions about that

I think he does know, he asked nesbitt if he had any regrets at one point, and was surprised when he said no. I had my suspicions he would kill him, and i think the cop has just turned a blind eye

was he not missing, decleared dead though in the present day at the end of ep4. So he either gets away with it, or the death is covered up.
    He was declared dead as he had been missing for 8 years or whatever, which is the norm.

What I mean was, either he successfully disposes of the body, or the company knew of the murder but said he was mising to protect their reputation.

now that Garrett is gone it's a bit of a pity - thought that Ken Stott gave a great performance in the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was watching this tuesday and then my upc cut out with just 14 mins to go. I presumed I wasn't going to miss much but obviously I did!!
    I got as far as him getting on the boat, what happened next? Someone fill me in please?

I'd watch online but my internet is awful atm, getting 50 mins into the action will take several hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got as far as him getting on the boat, what happened next? Someone fill me in please?
    Tony found a camcorder and played it. It was a paedophile sex tape. Garrett showed up. He was a paedophile (abused as a child) and had become one himself. He had 50+ tapes under the floorboards of his boat. None of Oli, though. When Garrett told Tony that Oli was a beautiful boy, Tony beat him to death. The Indian ocean stuff (in the present day) was revealed to be a fantasy of Garrett's wife, who is now in a hospital, mute and mentally broken.

What I mean was, either he successfully disposes of the body, or the company knew of the murder but said he was mising to protect their reputation.
    I can't see him successfully disposing of the body given the balls he may of breaking into the initial suspect's apartment, cutting his hand and leaving blood drops all over the place, although he was surprised mid act and didn't have time to clean but no way I can see him being savvy enough to clean all his evidence from a murder scene particularly as he would be the number one suspect. just my thoughts

Another point I would like to make is that the supect was using a green peter when he should have been using a sooty olive given the time of year at that particular river in France- ok I jest I don't know anything about fly fishing but reminds me of watching tv with my dad who does and always says people are doing stuff wrong when he sees anyone fly fishing on tv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Another point I would like to make is that the supect was using a green peter when he should have been using a sooty olive given the time of year at that particular river in France- ok I jest I don't know anything about fly fishing but reminds me of watching tv with my dad who does and always says people are doing stuff wrong when he sees anyone fly fishing on tv!

As long as there wasn't a Routemaster bus in it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Will Oli be found alive?

Think it might be Amber 2? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Mr E wrote: »
    Think it might be Amber 2? :)

I will honestly lose my sh't if that happens.

You got me. Amber 2?

6 part TV show on RTE earlier this year. Teenage girl goes missing, at the end of episode 6
    they hadn't found her
    . Deliberately written that way, no plans for season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sugar I just missed what his wife was telling him about the police and the builder guy! Was she saying that builder had an ailibi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Jesus I can't stand the mam in this. She bugged the bejaysus outta me in Mr. Selfridge too!

Missed something there. When did Julian first notice the foundations disturbed? Was it in 2006, or the present day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

2006 but there was an embargo on the site being investigated until present day

F&*k me. That cheered me up no end.

heldel00 wrote: »
    2006 but there was an embargo on the site being investigated until present day

I picked up the embargo line, but wasn't sure if that was for investigating or for building.

Then seen the digging starting in the present day, and Julian discreetly finding the shirt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement