Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missing (BBC drama)

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

volchitsa wrote: »
    I took it that this illness was going on for a long time before getting really urgent, (my sister had appendicitis and was unwell off and on for literally months before it became clear what was wrong with her, although not "dying" of course) anyway I think when Alice said Sophie would die he already knew that himself, and deliberately set up the meeting. Or he may already have done it, but of course in his role of all-powerful patriarch he wouldn't usually tell the girls stuff he was hoping/planning to do until it was all sorted.

But I don't know if that works in terms of the timeline.

Ok volchitsa i didn't know that it could present that way so it makes more sense. My nephew had acute appendicitis and needed emergency surgery but it all happened within 24 hours and that's been my only experience and what my limited knowledge of it is based on. It's a bit more plausible so. And i think it works with the timeline too as far as i know and i'm too tired after 8 weeks of (over-) analysing to think much more about it ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Was it mentioned that Sophie had an appendix issue earlier in the series? When she was Alice?

Someone floated the idea she was let out to get treatment a few weeks ago, which turned out to be right, but I didn't see how they had come up with that idea. I must have missed it in an earlier episode, or was it just the fact that she looked ill when she first arrived? I had just chalked that up to being held captive in poor conditions.

Was it mentioned that Sophie had an appendix issue earlier in the series? When she was Alice?

Someone floated the idea she was let out to get treatment a few weeks ago, which turned out to be right, but I didn't see how they had come up with that idea. I must have missed it in an earlier episode, or was it just the fact that she looked ill when she first arrived? I had just chalked that up to being held captive in poor conditions.

She had emergency surgery for appendicitis when she arrived... that's how they knew she'd had a baby as well. Did you see the 1st episode?

ariana` wrote: »
    She had emergency surgery for appendicitis when she arrived... that's how they knew she'd had a baby as well. Did you see the 1st episode?

I did see the first episode but I don't remember the surgery bit. I remember them confirming she'd had a child and all of that. I guess I picked up on the baby bit rather than they how they discovered she'd had a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Did he forget a wallet? He said last week he'd forgotten cash. Swiss francs + Switzerland written on the photo a pretty good narrative device to get them there in my opinion.

ya, maybe it was cash he forgot but I thought he had said wallet. thinking back though, you probably are correct. but if he forgot the cash, then he must have used a card or something so they could have used that to trace him.

where did you see switzerland written on the photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Seve OB wrote: »
    ya, maybe it was cash he forgot but I thought he had said wallet. thinking back though, you probably are correct. but if he forgot the cash, then he must have used a card or something so they could have used that to trace him.

where did you see switzerland written on the photo?

Pretty sure when Baptiste took it off the wall, it said Switzerland 19... in the upper right corner.

Pretty sure when Baptiste took it off the wall, it said Switzerland 19... in the upper right corner.

cheers, i totally missed that

I'm pretty sure he didn't specify what he had left at home. He was patting down his pockets on the way into a shop so some assumed wallet, some assumed cash. It was shown in the following episode that it was an envelope of Swiss Francs.

I wonder if that's why they chose Switzerland as the escape plan, the writers I mean? Envelope of Euros wouldn't narrow it down too much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I wonder if that's why they chose Switzerland as the escape plan, the writers I mean? Envelope of Euros wouldn't narrow it down too much :D

That was exactly what I thought. "Thank god Switzerland has its own currency or this would be no help"

I'm pretty sure he didn't specify what he had left at home. He was patting down his pockets on the way into a shop so some assumed wallet, some assumed cash.

no he deffo said something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I thought he said something about leaving wallet or cash at home, as he was going into the shop to buy a toy for the girl

ahlookit wrote: »
    I thought he said something about leaving wallet or cash at home, as he was going into the shop to buy a toy for the girl

I'm fairly sure he said "something" but he didn't specify what it was.

EDIT: I watched it back, he says "I must have left some cash at home"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    True, I was thinking the same originally as Gettrick did say to Reed that he would drive as Reed had a drink taken but it kinda suggested they were planning to take Reeds car. I didn't pay enough attention to the shot of the car pulling up outside Reeds house but it's probably fair to assume it must have been Gettricks car alright, not Reeds.
    Agree with ahlookit, it's been great fun watching the show and then discussing it on here after. It certainly makes an argument for watching shows on tv rather than via boxset (which seems to be more the norm these days)!
    Maybe we can do it again for Sherlock! :D

Line of Duty is back in the Spring or so, though I don't know if Keely Hawes will be in this one. Gripping stuff that gets better each series, moved to BBC1 now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Did he forget a wallet? He said last week he'd forgotten cash. Swiss francs + Switzerland written on the photo a pretty good narrative device to get them there in my opinion.

*Cough cough*

Tracing the credit card was a good shout on here last week, I was surprised they didn't use that, the photo just seemed a bit too easy and not something Gettrick would do.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

K-9 wrote: »
    Line of Duty is back in the Spring or so, though I don't know if Keely Hawes will be in this one. Gripping stuff that gets better each series, moved to BBC1 now.

Cheers K9, not one I've seen up to now but sounds like I need to have a look! :D

The first series seemed a little rushed, almost as if they cut a couple of episodes because of budget cuts, still worth a watch. The third series was bloody damn good television.

The BBC have done a lot of good stuff over the past couple of years. Happy Valley, River, Line of Duty, The Missing, even Silent Witness has picked up a bit again. I'd be happy paying a TV license to them.

I havent watched Line Of Duty either, but heard good things about it. Think the first season or two are on Netflix. Its on RTE at the moment too, so good chance its on RTE player.

Going back to Keely Hawes for a minute, she was brilliant all through this season. As someone mentioned, the scene where she was reunited with the real Alice was excellent. Well played by the young actress too.

• Advertisement

Going back to Keely Hawes for a minute, she was brilliant all through this season. As someone mentioned, the scene where she was reunited with the real Alice was excellent. Well played by the young actress too.

My mum won't believe me that Keely Hawes played Harry's sister on The Vicar of Dibley. It was on the other night and all but she's still not buying it.

vlcsnap-41484.jpg

My mum won't believe me that Keely Hawes played Harry's sister on The Vicar of Dibley. It was on the other night and all but she's still not buying it.

In fairness, someone on here thought Sophie wasn't Sophie so people can get confused...

The BBC have done a lot of good stuff over the past couple of years. Happy Valley, River, Line of Duty, The Missing, even Silent Witness has picked up a bit again. I'd be happy paying a TV license to them.

Happy Valley was brilliant. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it. Watched the first episode of River the other night on Netflix. Looks promising. Dark though. But I'm guessing anyone who sat through The Missing can cope with dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thought that was brilliant, the BBC are really producing some savage TV shows at the moment. Thought this was much better than Happy Valley, although that's really good too. Great finale to season 2. Julien Baptiste is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mollymollu

I missed last nights finale....anyone know if it is being repeated??

Happy Valley was brilliant. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it. Watched the first episode of River the other night on Netflix. Looks promising. Dark though. But I'm guessing anyone who sat through The Missing can cope with dark.

I really like River and Line of Duty. I haven't seen Happy Valley, i'll have to look it up. BBC Dramas are just top class.

Luther was another good British Drama though i'm not sure if it was BBC/UTV.

Scott and Bailey is decent too.

A good Australian drama which i highly recommend to anyone is Wentworth. Its a remake of an old series Prisoner: Cell Block H.

Oh god i sound like i watch far too much television :eek:

• Advertisement

This River sounds interesting.

A second for Luther. It was BBC. There's talk of a film, who knows? Spooks got made into one and did fine.

And I can't recommend Line of Duty enough, there was more Adrian Dunbar in the 3rd series which is always a good thing! Each series has independent story lines but the 3 main characters are there from the start, you kind of feel invested in them if you watch all 3 series. The 3rd series really is top notch tele! It's the most watched drama on BBC2 in years so we can't all be wrong!

Trying to think of the legal drama that was on BBC2 in the late 90's, early 00's? Was a big hit.

K-9 wrote: »
    Trying to think of the legal drama that was on BBC2 in the late 90's, early 00's? Was a big hit.

This Life? Think it was much earlier than that though, early 90s I think. Was a great show.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    This Life? Think it was much earlier than that though, early 90s I think. Was a great show.

I can remember watching it in 98/99 anyway, personal reasons makes those years stand out.

Only reason I'm saying it was, Line of Fire was the most watched BBC2 drama in 15 years, but the papers never said what it beat. I've a feeling the last series of This is Life was 98/99.

State of Play was probably BBC1.

You're much closer than I was on the dates K-9. 96 and 97 were the years apparently (at least according to WIKI).
    In terms of ratings, it seems the ratings are only recorded since 2002 and Line of Duty beat Wolf Hall (source The Guardian).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Really enjoyed this series of the Missing. Better than the first one, and not just because James Nesbitt wasn't in it.

Line of Duty is the best series I have seen in years. Superb storylines, script and acting.

Happy Valley is very good and well worth watching but tough going mentally, especially season two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Really enjoyed this series of the Missing. Better than the first one, and not just because James Nesbitt wasn't in it.

Line of Duty is the best series I have seen in years. Superb storylines, script and acting.

Happy Valley is very good and well worth watching but tough going mentally, especially season two.

Happy Valley is great. Thanks for the tip on Line of Duty - watching Broadchurch at the moment and it's fantastic. Well worth checking out

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Happy Valley is great. Thanks for the tip on Line of Duty - watching Broadchurch at the moment and it's fantastic. Well worth checking out

Stop after season 1 of Broadchurch, just pretend season 2 never happened. Season 1 was fantastic though.

enjoyed the missing
    anyone know where to vies season 1?

enjoyed the missing
    anyone know where to vies season 1?

If you're prepared to wait, it'll probably be on Netflix & RTE at some stage, as a number of similar BBC dramas wound up on both.

For what its worth, I think season 1 was good, worth watching, but I thought season 2 was much better.

Its on DVD, £10 on amazon, or 3 for £24 as part of a deal they have going with some other good stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A283926%2Cn%3A%21425639031%2Cn%3A%21425641031%2Cn%3A655852%2Cn%3A5620846031%2Cp_72%3A184316031&page=2&bbn=5620846031&ie=UTF8&qid=1481106686

There are also less legal ways of obtaining it, which boards will get very upset about if anyone mentions them here :D

If you're prepared to wait, it'll probably be on Netflix & RTE at some stage, as a number of similar BBC dramas wound up on both.

For what its worth, I think season 1 was good, worth watching, but I thought season 2 was much better.

Its on DVD, £10 on amazon, or 3 for £24 as part of a deal they have going with some other good stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A283926%2Cn%3A%21425639031%2Cn%3A%21425641031%2Cn%3A655852%2Cn%3A5620846031%2Cp_72%3A184316031&page=2&bbn=5620846031&ie=UTF8&qid=1481106686

There are also less legal ways of obtaining it, which boards will get very upset about if anyone mentions them here :D

Nice one, I might just get that for the missus as a chrimbo box :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump..

.. spin-off 'Baptiste' is coming soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sunday 17th February

Advertisement