Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missing (BBC drama)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

heldel00 wrote: »
    Jesus I can't stand the mam in this. She bugged the bejaysus outta me in Mr. Selfridge too!

Yeah I can't take to her either. Something terribly mannered and self conscious about her. Though it must be a terribly difficult role to play, to be fair. But I suspect she would probably grate on me anyway. She reminds me of Zoe Wannamaker, and she had that effect on me too.

On the boat thing, how believable is it that they wouldn't see a single speck of blood (or brains) and start really testing his alibi in that light? There must be evidence that Emily stood in the empty train station for hours that night.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ Few things are a bit loose for my liking. Like the whole story and investigation has hinged on the woman in the charity shop keeping the name of a person who left in a scarf YEARS ago and the dad spotting it on someone on Facebook????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jesus I can't stand the mam in this. She bugged the bejaysus outta me in Mr. Selfridge too!

I think she is gorgeous though

Ok, I think that I've figured out who is responsible or at least involved in the abduction... possible spoiler
    the mayor. He was good friends with Garrett, probably was involved with the embargo and other little things such as wanting to be kept up to date on the investigation. Also he is a recurring character and it always has to be a recurring character
    . What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Personally I think she plays the role really well. It can't be an easy role to play, what with losing her son, having her hubbie go off at the deep end and then constantly being reminded of her son in everything around her. I have a feeling this will end like Amber although we may at least find out who was behind it in this one - can't see any happy ending though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think she looks very reminiscent of Kate McCann ,Madelines mother, when she went missing initially. She has the same haircut, same hair colour,similar clothing,same build,similar gait and posture and facial expression. I find that aspect of her character a bit disturbing and I can't help feeling it cannot be unintentional. The scene where she prayed to st anthony in the church was similar to a scene with the mccanns as well.I think there's a few touches in there to ad to the emotional weight of the drama and it leaves me a bit uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

glasso wrote: »
    Ok, I think that I've figured out who is responsible or at least involved in the abduction... possible spoiler
    the mayor. He was good friends with Garrett, probably was involved with the embargo and other little things such as wanting to be kept up to date on the investigation. Also he is a recurring character and it always has to be a recurring character
    . What do you think?

Yes, I've thought that from fairly early on.

Merkin wrote: »
    Yes, I've thought that from fairly early on.

Yep, has to be. Always fairly easy to spot as has to be a character that is there in the background in every episode. Sort of like in broadchurch where it was
    the female cops wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Or husband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

donalh087 wrote: »
    Or husband.

Ex or prospective?

• Advertisement

Or husband.

that's what I meant :) (the husband of the cop in broadchurch, not in the missing).

Or husband.

It couldn't be, wasn't he called over to help with the investigation initially, although it was odd that he had his child with him at the time if he wasn't holidaying in the area at the time.

It couldn't be, wasn't he called over to help with the investigation initially, although it was odd that he had his child with him at the time if he wasn't holidaying in the area at the time.

But he was there the very first night, wasn't he? Or was that after a few days? If so it was very quick, IMO.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

In episode 2 the journalist says to Emily
    "I know what you did ,you and Tony and I'm going to prove it "

There must be something to this .

53 mins 40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJGQWRjF34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yep, has to be. Always fairly easy to spot as has to be a character that is there in the background in every episode. Sort of like in broadchurch where it was
    the female cops wife
    Or husband.

Guys, I think donal's post was correcting an error in the spoiler tag of glasso's post. I don't think he was suggesting that either of the mother's husbands was involved.

I reckon the journalist may have been referring to Garret.

volchitsa wrote: »
    But he was there the very first night, wasn't he? Or was that after a few days? If so it was very quick, IMO.

I think it was after a few days. They were out walking and spotted a little boy that the mum mistook to be little Oliver, they rushed over and the police guy introduced himself as the childs father and their liason officer. I wonder if they'll draw upon the fact that the man she falls in love with just happens to have a little boy just like Oliver or just present it as coincidence.

What did the journo have over the police officer we saw at the beginning who leaked the papers to him and who went to prison?

What did the journo have over the police officer we saw at the beginning who leaked the papers to him and who went to prison?

that hasn't been revealed yet - think that it was something to do with the journo's knowledge of something that happened in Morocco.

we also don't know what piece of information the cop now in prison didn't log as evidence.

I guess we will find out the answers to both on Tuesday night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think it was after a few days. They were out walking and spotted a little boy that the mum mistook to be little Oliver, they rushed over and the police guy introduced himself as the childs father and their liason officer. I wonder if they'll draw upon the fact that the man she falls in love with just happens to have a little boy just like Oliver or just present it as coincidence.

I think it was to do with someone being killed in Morocco.

OK, thanks Whimsical.
    Re the "coincidence", we already know that his career has been irreparably harmed by his relationship with her, that he is suspected by his colleagues and superiors of profiting from a vulnerable woman - he has resigned from the force because of being passed over from promotion due (he says) to this cloud that hangs over him) And he didn't tell her. Which again I found interesting in terms of the dynamics of the relationship and how she can never escape the consequences of Ollie's disappearance. She's just as trapped as her ex-husband, despite trying to make a new life for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Is tonight the last episode?

allym wrote: »
    Is tonight the last episode?

no. next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Right who owns the feckin' coin?

The husband of the hotel owner is real shnakey lookin and skulkin about the place a bit too much for my liking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭jayjbe

It's a sobriety coin the hotel owner was talking about. But can't remember was it hers, or husbands or fathers?

jayjbe wrote: »
    It's a sobriety coin the hotel owner was talking about. But can't remember was it hers, or husbands or fathers?

As right! Well remembered. Case closed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

The missus watches this and from what I ve seen its as slow as constipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feckin UPC box botched the recording so I missed the last 15 mins :mad:

Am I right in thinking its not repeated on normal telly?

Should I go looking online for it, or will I get away without that last bit??

The husband of the hotel owner is real shnakey lookin and skulkin about the place a bit too much for my liking!

isn't he dead at this stage or maybe I just haven't noticed him around in the present day? guess that he was involved then. but who else was involved? who had yer man in prison killed? don't think that the hotel owner has that much pull. interesting that the mayor and the hotel dude have the same last name - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_%28TV_series%29 - "Deloix"

well it's very good actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Was it a coin or a coat button?

• Advertisement

Was it a coin or a coat button?

It's the thing the hotel hubbie had for sobriety. He is still alive as you could see him skulking outside the hotel when Tony went back (in the present day). At this stage it seems clear there was a ring (hubbie, Mayor, Garrett, Borg) so only question that remains is where is Oliver! Acting in this is fantastic, especially from the 3 lead characters, James, Frances and the lad playing Julien. One thing I didn't understand was the killing of yer man in jail - was that related - would he have told others that he hid evidence? I thought only the journo would have known about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Feckin UPC box botched the recording so I missed the last 15 mins :mad:

Am I right in thinking its not repeated on normal telly?

Should I go looking online for it, or will I get away without that last bit??

strangely I had it recorded and watched about an hour later and the UPC box konked after 45 min- am over to the UPC forum to complain

Stick with 'Agents of Shield'

isn't he dead at this stage or maybe I just haven't noticed him around in the present day? guess that he was involved then. but who else was involved? who had yer man in prison killed? don't think that the hotel owner has that much pull. interesting that the mayor and the hotel dude have the same last name - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_%28TV_series%29 - "Deloix"

Good detective work there Lawrence. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

strangely I had it recorded and watched about an hour later and the UPC box konked after 45 min- am over to the UPC forum to complain

Exactly what happened to mine!

Reported it last night.

What a PITA.

ah will catch up on the iplayer anyhow, no biggee but UPC cannot be relied on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Missed it last night, can someone remind me which episode number it was. Hopefully can catch up on youtube later in the week or at weekend.

penultimate episode 7

I missed it too (was out last night and forgot to record it on the sky box) and though it's apparently on Youtube it's not available to watch "for copyright reasons".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

volchitsa wrote: »
    I missed it too (was out last night and forgot to record it on the sky box) and though it's apparently on Youtube it's not available to watch "for copyright reasons".

I have watched two or three episodes on youtube. Usally on the sat/sun/mon before the next episode in broadcast.

Check back on thread for one of my links. If you cant watch that one, it may give a link to the most recent.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    One thing I didn't understand was the killing of yer man in jail - was that related - would he have told others that he hid evidence? I thought only the journo would have known about that?

The mayor is being kept up-to-date on the progress of the new investigation isn't he....

The mayor is being kept up-to-date on the progress of the new investigation isn't he....

ahhh mais oui! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

he also has the same surname as the hotel owners

dubmick wrote: »
    he also has the same surname as the hotel owners

noted already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Eden hotel husband and wife are starting to look a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    It's the thing the hotel hubbie had for sobriety. He is still alive as you could see him skulking outside the hotel when Tony went back (in the present day). At this stage it seems clear there was a ring (hubbie, Mayor, Garrett, Borg) so only question that remains is where is Oliver! Acting in this is fantastic, especially from the 3 lead characters, James, Frances and the lad playing Julien. One thing I didn't understand was the killing of yer man in jail - was that related - would he have told others that he hid evidence? I thought only the journo would have known about that?

AFAIK the husband was there in 2009, when Tony went back to France, but looked the worse for wear! I haven't noticed him in the present day scenes.

One of the inmates overheard police officer saying he'd tell them what they wanted if his son came to visit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yeah the black dude at the next table

K-9 wrote: »
    AFAIK the husband was there in 2009, when Tony went back to France, but looked the worse for wear! I haven't noticed him in the present day scenes.

I'll need to watch it back but you could be right - it may have been 2009 where I saw him outside the hotel (looking shifty) as Tony went in.

Wasn't there a scene at the start when Tony came back to the hotel bar this time, where he asked the husband if he wasn't still entitled to free beer, the point being that he got a far chillier reception than back when Ollie went missing?

I thought that was the husband anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

The husband was walking about last night smoking despite the non smoking signs which i presume went up around France between 2006-2009. Gotta be a bad egg ( or should I say ouef), baddies always smoke

Advertisement