Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missing (BBC drama)

Comments

volchitsa wrote: »
    Wasn't there a scene at the start when Tony came back to the hotel bar this time, where he asked the husband if he wasn't still entitled to free beer, the point being that he got a far chillier reception than back when Ollie went missing?

I thought that was the husband anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.

it wasn't. that was in a bar in the town, not at the hotel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Please don't end like amber.

better ending would be if we (the viewers) were shown in flashback what actually happened to the boy , see how close the parents and police came to finding him , but ultimately being frustrated. Sort of a best of both worlds type of thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

better ending would be if we (the viewers) were shown in flashback what actually happened to the boy , see how close the parents and police came to finding him , but ultimately being frustrated. Sort of a best of both worlds type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I think he fell down the cement stairs in the basement
    as there was a lot of blood to be cleaned up.
    So maybe he was dead from the first night he was taken.

also wondering were molly and borg victims of the ring ?
    Borg was watching a woman on his laptop when tony broke into his apartment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

horgan_p wrote: »

I think amber was to show us all the people who are affected
    when a child goes missing
    right from the fone she had, to what happens to people who try to help.
    I thought it was amazing how many lives were affected
    in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Am I the only one to think there is something dodgy about Mark , the English cop?
    I have a feeling the the letter opener, will be found embedded in the journo....Malik .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck, can't watch the latest episode on iPlayer - even with Hola :mad:

I was confused enough anyway, without missing the last quarter of the second-last programme.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Feck, can't watch the latest episode on iPlayer - even with Hola :mad:

I was confused enough anyway, without missing the last quarter of the second-last programme.......

Same thing happened with my UPC box. If you fast forward past the part where it crashes the last 15 or so minutes will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fondue wrote: »
    Same thing happened with my UPC box. If you fast forward past the part where it crashes the last 15 or so minutes will play.

That didn't work for me, it still crashed the box :mad:

But happily, I persauded iPlayer to work, and got the last 15 mins :)

Not entirely sure I'm any the wiser, but at least I've seen it now.

I'm sure it'll all fall into place in the final episode....... hopefully.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just did a marathon of this today. Raging I've to wait until Tuesday for the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You and everyone else, SB. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Should have waited till next weekend to binge on it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Although I cant see any major twists or shocks in the final episode, I'm still hoping for a good ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Yeah 8 weeks s long enough to commit to a show so i really hope it's not a wishy washy ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Keep watching after the credits:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Missed first few mins!
    I hope it's good

Second series?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The hair transplants have slipped down to his chin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Did I just fall asleep for a week and miss an episode?

• Advertisement

Jesus he's class though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Another case! Will it be linked to Olivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Sweet Jeebus - what happened there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

So - was that Oliver at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Another case! Will it be linked to Olivers?

There isn't any details yet.

Tchéky Karyo's voice over said it was about when the missing come home and I think the signs were in German.

I wonder of Karyo is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

donalh087 wrote: »
    So - was that Oliver at the end?

That seems to be what they want you to ask but there will be no answer from them.

Like Amber, The Missing isn't about wrapping it with a happy resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh for goodness' sake. I'm really not at ALL happy with that conclusion. They are evidently going to drag the arse out of it for another season. I was eagerly anticipating the tying up of all the proverbial ends and instead we have a rushed and rather lazy ending in order to necessitate a whole other season which is totally unnecessary and gratuitous :mad:

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh for goodness' sake. I'm really not at ALL happy with that conclusion. They are evidently going to drag the arse out of it for another season. I was eagerly anticipating the tying up of all the proverbial ends and instead we have a rushed and rather lazy ending in order to necessitate a whole other season which is totally unnecessary and gratuitous :mad:

I thought it was really good. Gripping right until the very end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The Missing Renewed For Second season By Starz & BBC
    A new case, new characters and new location.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/the-missing-renewed-second-installment-starz-bbc-1201327215/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I thought that was it, game over? Ollie dead and Mr Hughes positively and irreversibly insane, meanwhile French Detective returns to our screens with a new series?

Non?

Ah, so dad gets a shave, was proved right after all, AND French Detective turns out to have been involved from the start? (I mean, just who was he chasing in that black car at high speed)?

Mon seigneur!! Ce ne est pas possible???!!!

We'll have to wait I see. I for one have never watched an 8 episode series, it was fab from start to finish. James Nesbitt is brilliant actor.

Kettleson wrote: »
    I thought that was it, game over? Ollie dead and Mr Hughes positively and irreversibly insane, meanwhile French Detective returns to our screens with a new series?

Non?

Ah, so dad gets a shave, was proved right after all, AND French Detective turns out to have been involved from the start? (I mean, just who was he chasing in that black car at high speed)?

Mon seigneur!! Ce ne est pas possible???!!!

We'll have to wait I see. I for one have never watched an 8 episode series, it was fab from start to finish. James Nesbitt is brilliant actor.
    My Tuesdays revolved around it for the past 8 weeks!

heldel00 wrote: »
    My Tuesdays revolved around it for the past 8 weeks!

...and mine. Non regrette rien :)

I agree that it was good, don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed it hugely. A lot of very subtle and intelligent clues en route but I don't feel that that was the conclusion tonight. Perhaps I'm wrong. I get the impression that a second season will revolve around Ollie being found given the closing credits.

Merkin wrote: »
    I agree that it was good, don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed it hugely. A lot of very subtle and intelligent clues en route but I don't feel that that was the conclusion tonight. Perhaps I'm wrong. I get the impression that a second season will revolve around Ollie being found given the closing credits.

But it was a girl on the swing? Non?

Kettleson wrote: »
    But it was a girl on the swing? Non?

Which I interpreted as fairly generic/stock imagery. They probably are not sure themselves where they'll go with their writing so best to give a non committal, open to interpretation 'spoiler'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Different story for the next series:

brand-new case, a new set of characters and a new location in the second season, which will also unfold over two time frames similar to the first season. Harry and Jack Williams are attached to once again write and executive-produce.

Link

I enjoyed it, we found out what happened fairly early in the episode. Was expecting maybe Olly would be found but it wasn't to be - we will never find out like Tony what happened... I think the writers have left it to us to decide or imagine what became of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Well, that was bleak and disturbing - great though. I've found a new respect for James Nesbitt. Looking forward to the new season, wherever it goes to.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Heavy Pierre

Pile of dung. Made Amber look like golden globe material. And that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

8 hours of investment from the viewers, only for the writers to say 'not telling!'

F**k off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Thought the show was excellent and provided the sort of ending that Amber should've. Fully believe Ollie is dead, however:

https://twitter.com/oliverwpk/status/544988871315165184

Just another red herring? Obviously the writers has left it at the viewers discretion - whether they choose to side with the Mother who has closure or on the Fathers side, who now seems to be trekking the globe in search of an answer. I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was a dream scene, much like Garrett's Wife's one. The Efit's resemblance is far too good, which makes me believe it was a dream scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I'm wondering if that boy in Russia was Ollie too? Looks way too similar to the newspaper age projection picture and just the way he was looking at the picture then at Nesbitt looked like some small glimmer of recognition, but I'm possibly just seeing what I want to there.

If Ollie is alive but the second season is new cast and characters, it could still in it's final episode tie in with the gang from Ollie's case and information could emerge that showed Ollie was alive and how he ended up in Russia.

Hopeful thinking probably though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

No look Ollie is dead, end of. The bit in Russia was just to show that whilst Emily moved on with her life, Tonys was ruined by the disappearance of his son and unless he found a body he would never accept the truth. The story is over, the writers did tell us what happened, and then showed that Tony just refused to accept it. It sounds like some viewers are doing likewise! :)
    I thought the ending was ok and just showed how what really killed Ollie was really bad decisions by the brothers - had Alain just moved the body to the side of the road and drove off, or had he stayed with the boy in the house until someone arrived, or had George not rang the complete psychopath to get involved, or had Alain not left the boot open, he would most likely have been fine. As a parent I found those scenes hard to watch as it was so frustrating seeing one bad decision after another. Overall the series was excellent, however I really don't think I can sit through a second one, especially where we are already told that the child in this case is abducted and what happens is even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I binge watched the entire season over the last two days. Excellent series, probably one of the best of 2014. I had always been indifferent to Nesbitt but he was amazing and I have a huge new found respect for him.

It was very tastefully produced imo, series like this can sometimes go down the route of being cheesy and overly dramatic (in all the wrong ways) but it was almost as though I was watching real events unfold. It was raw, emotional, and very powerful performances all round from the cast.

I wasn't overly impressed with the ending..I'd have liked to have known where Olly ended up but obviously it was purposely written that way to keep us guessing.

However, I think its very telling that Georges was in front of the van during the scene where the Romanians were showing him what they did with Olly, blocking our view. It could have been his dead body or it could very easily have been a crate with the boy inside, ready to be shipped away. I'm guessing this was also done purposely so they didn't have to commit to a specific ending after just one series, and have more leeway for the next ones events.

I'm really looking forward to the next series, and I hope like a PP says that it ties in with Olly's story even if there's a new cast and a new focus. Hands down one of the best series I've watched, I'm only gutted I didn't find it sooner!

@Betty. Funny how it all makes sense after a nights sleep. (Seriously I did dream about it!) :D

"You must never give up hope"....Because he's found something!! :D

Here's my theory: it would seem cruel to consign Ollies dad to a life of insanity.

The mobster whom the Mayor got to dispose of the body, well he's not the murdering psychopath that he might appear to be.

"He seen my face....I finished the job", is an excuse and further deception.

His sister in Russia was childless and heartbroken after an accident, and he did not have any intention to kill a defenceless child.

He was compromised in his obligation to the Mayor, and bringing Ollie to the Hospital would have exposed past wrong doings. So he heavily sedated Oliver to make him look dead, (perhaps even momentarily covering him in clear plastic), then showing him to the Mayor in the back of the van.

He then transfers the sedated Oliver to the black car that we see in the high speed chase and takes him to Russia.

Oh yes, Ollie is alive and well, but may now unfortunately be a member of the Junior Mafia!

Happy Christmas one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

... and all the blood was what then? Think you have to accept the reality here Kettleson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A terrific end to the series, and a very logical, well thought out explanation to what happened to Ollie.

My take on the ending is that Tony just refused to move on (with enough seeds planted by the writers to ensure that some viewers will refuse to move on too) :)

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    ... and all the blood was what then? Think you have to accept the reality here Kettleson!

Nah...that was a pot of red gloss paint that Ollie opened and was going to complete the drawing on the wall with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Mr E wrote: »
    A terrific end to the series, and a very logical, well thought out explanation to what happened to Ollie.

My take on the ending is that Tony just refused to move on (with enough seeds planted by the writers to ensure that some viewers will refuse to move on too) :)

I'm undecided. I have a gripe with the idea that the brother (juge d'instruction?) would not even look in the car boot to see the child first time. It struck me as completely implausible when it happened, so when the plot then depended on it that rather destroyed my "belief" in the storyline. They should have kept him away from taking the risk of meeting his brother, done it all by phone, wouldn't that have worked better?

Other than that (but it's a biggish gripe for me, I can't see how someone would tell anyone they had a dead child in the boot of the car and the person wouldn't even look! Never mind someone who's professionally involved) I did find the other loose ends pretty satisfactorily tied up. I liked it.

Have to say I found Nesbitt terrific at the end. To me he's lost the plot (Tony, not JN).

I hope (from a plotine PoV only) that it doesn't turn out that the boy is alive somewhere. Much as one would wish it IRL, that would be just too much to swallow in fiction. Like Sherlock Holmes coming back from the Reichenbach Falls.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

...or waiting for the next series to find out "Who shot JR".

I can see the T-Shirts now....

"Ollie alive and well" versus "Ollie in shallow grave".

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smurph266

Hm I dunno, it all seemed like a pretty ridiculously unlikely ending to me; there would have been blood marks all over the road where he had been hit by the car and the police were going over that area with a fine tooth comb but didn't find any, also a bit of an unrealistic reaction from the mayor, a corrupt but not evil, intelligent man: when his brother said he had killed a young boy through drunk driving he decides to just destroy the body? not to check its pulse, not place it somewhere to be found, not tell his brother to own up, hmm seems like a bit of a rushed, unsatisfactory ending after a long drawn out series

• Advertisement
Advertisement