Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F-1 to J-1 visa

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I will be travelling to the US in january on a study abroad programme for 5/6 months. For the purposes of this I will have an F-1 Student Visa, but my dream would be to find a job and continue on in the states for the rest of the summer on a J-1 visa.

I know that it is not permitted by US law to hold two visas at the same time, so my question is would it be possible to apply for a J-1 visa prior to going in January, and have it to commence when my F-1 visa finishes?

I emailed USIT and they basically said that I couldn't, but I got the feeling that they were discouraging it because it would be complicated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I think USIT are telling you the truth.

The point of the J-1 is is a summer work/travel experience...and not an extension visa. The J is almost in a separate category that you need to come home, apply for separately then go back to the states for....the other thing is...you have go via sponsors (USIT or IIRC etc)

My advise...enjoy your F-1, it's more than a lot of people can hope for. The immigration system here is broken, and it is almost impossible to play it

Advertisement