Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinning and heading cuts

• 20-10-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

hav a small shrub that grown for a year now and part of its diseased.Am wondering should i use thinning or heading cuts to stimulate new growth.What will both cuts do?How do i perform them?Can either result in upward growth to maintain its height?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

hav a small shrub that grown for a year now and part of its diseased.Am wondering should i use thinning or heading cuts to stimulate new growth.What will both cuts do?How do i perform them?Can either result in upward growth to maintain its height?
    So many questions and so little time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Depends completely on what it IS, and what it is suffering from.

"Thinning" cuts, ie, removing branches at their base, usually results in a more shapely plant. "Heading" ie, shortening back, may cause sprouting in some shrubs, such as privet, but may just disfigure others.
    Don't cut a pyracantha, at all.

Sorry, need a lot more real information to answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

guelder rose and had leaf spot want to clear off a few diseased branches.When i cut the branches should the part thats cut off and exposed to air be brown a few days later

Advertisement