Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone or Samsung????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Second hand s4's, htc ones and xperia z2's are still worth as much if not more than second hand I phones..

I had a 4s on a plan for 2 years. I sold it for €450, upgraded to a 5S which cost me €100 and i was €350 up on the deal. You will not do that with a Samsung, Sony or HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Swanner wrote: »
    But to repeat, the OP asked about Apple or Samsung and that's what I was replying to.

You deleted part of my reply which said I was offering an alternative to the typical Samsung/Iphone users. Which is really just as valid as someone else saying get an Xperia.

I really have nothing more to add to anything else I've said. Hopefully someday you'll realise that the iPhone is not the pinnacle of smart phones. I'm just glad I did.

irishmover wrote: »
    I really have nothing more to add to anything else I've said. Hopefully someday you'll realise that the iPhone is not the pinnacle of smart phones. I'm just glad I did.

I've never said that I believe the iPhone is the pinnacle of smart phones. There are just too many hardware options out there to give any one manufacturer that accolade. Maybe if you had glanced past that red mist of hatred and anger you have for Apple you might have noticed that.

I will stand by my opinion however, that ios is the pinnacle of smart phone os's.

It's an opinion based on experience. Nothing more, nothing less. And the fact that it's in favour of Apple does not make it any less valid than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kieranhogan13

Samsung > Apple, however I have owened my One Plus One for 3 months now and its the best phone I've ever had. You should check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I've never said that I believe the iPhone is the pinnacle of smart phones. There are just too many hardware options out there to give any one manufacturer that accolade. Maybe if you had glanced past that red mist of hatred and anger you have for Apple you might have noticed that.

I will stand by my opinion however, that ios is the pinnacle of smart phone os's.

It's an opinion based on experience. Nothing more, nothing less. And the fact that it's in favour of Apple does not make it any less valid than yours.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea of red mist and anger towards Apple. It add's nothing to whatever it is you're trying to say. People do this all the time to try benefit their point of view and it really does nothing.

You've got an opinion on something that you don't know full about. I don't know full about it either but having used ios for 4 years and Cyanogenmod version of Android for 2 months I can safely say I won't need to return to ios. They offer nothing new for alot more money. For me, comparing all aspects including software and in particular price, owning a Oneplus One is a no brainer. I never owned a Samsung so cant compare to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

As a owner of an iPhone 5s, Note 3 (soon note 4 when its released), Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Xperia Z3, Nokia Lumia 1020, 625, Nokia N8, Nokia 808, Moto G (I'm crazy. I own a lot more phones going back to the Nokia 5110) My advice is if you can try before you buy. Emobile stores have phones on display go in and play around with them.

Don't listen to the brand whores on here. iPhones and Samsung s5/note 3's are great phones but are just two of many great phones on the market. All the above are great phones but don't rule out the lower price range phones like the Nokia Lumia 630, Xperia M, HTC Desire or the Moto G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

As you can see, there is no one answer. I've got an S4 at the moment and have never had any problems with it. I really like it as a phone and like its larger screen size. I know that's not going to be an issue with the new iPhones. When the time comes to change phones, I'll keep an open mind as to what Android handset I get. It might be another Samsung or maybe it'll be a HTC, a Sony or some other brand.... I like Android, I like that I can pop a micro SD card into most of the handsets, I like being able to drag and drop files on and off it without faffing around with iTunes. I feel they're better value for money than iPhones. Those are my thoughts. People who own iPhones will have plenty of valid reasons why they wouldn't like to change either and those reasons shouldn't be shot down either. It really is down to personal preference.

Is there any reason in particular you want to get another Samsung? How do you find using Android? Would you like to stay with that operating system or do you think you'd get on better with iOS?

As for what network to go with. You really need to go look at their websites and see what plan suits you the best. Do you want to get a phone with that network and pay it off as you go along? Would you consider buying a sim-free handset from a reputable online seller and then get a sim-free plan?

If you're looking beyond Samsung or Apple the other option is Windows.

I had the option of windows or android for a workphone and regretably on advice I opted for the android. I have played around with a few Nokia's since and really like the OS but as always it's difficult to really get a feel for it unless you get to use it for a few days.

I mention the "regretably on advice" as Stavro Mueller is on the button. Everyone has their own opinion of what an OS should offer so be careful about listening to others. Check out friends phones if possible.

Also the benefit of a SIM free phone is that you can always just sell it on and replace it if you don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

Samsung all the way longer battery life .... iphones are shyte

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

Also if you go with a windows phone everything you use with the phone has to be windows compatible! !

Caprica6 wrote: »

Well there you have it. Decision made :rolleyes:

Also if you go with a windows phone everything you use with the phone has to be windows compatible! !

Care to elaborate? :confused:

I briefly used a Windows phone for work and found it grand once I got used to how it worked. For me it's the lack of apps that would be a dealbreaker but for other people it'd not be an issue at all. The phone I had was a Nokia Lumia something or other at the lower end of the food chain but it was a surprisingly fast, responsive phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

traprunner wrote: »
    One other thing is that the iPhone holds it's value. Second hand androids are usually worth nothing. If on a contract you can privately sell your old iPhone and get an upgrade to the newest model and have money left over.

Sold my first S2 to a phone shop for 150e when it was a yr old. Sold my second one to a friend for 100e. Both gotten on bill pay for less than what I sold them for.

Yes you would get more for an iPhone but you pay more in the first place. Add in all the replacement screens and the Android saves you money

Wow. Did I hit a nerve or something ?

Not in the slightest

Some pretty sweeping generalisations you're making there.

They are my favourite kind of generalisations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Second hand s4's, htc ones and xperia z2's are still worth as much if not more than second hand I phones..

This:
    I had a 4s on a plan for 2 years. I sold it for €450, upgraded to a 5S which cost me €100 and i was €350 up on the deal. You will not do that with a Samsung, Sony or HTC.

nc19 wrote: »
    Sold my first S2 to a phone shop for 150e when it was a yr old. Sold my second one to a friend for 100e. Both gotten on bill pay for less than what I sold them for.

Yes you would get more for an iPhone but you pay more in the first place. Add in all the replacement screens and the Android saves you money

Yes, it is more expensive but look what is quoted above. It is quite standard that a hefty profit can be made. As for screen replacements....I never had to get one. However, I did send my iPhone 5 back last week to get the sleep button replaced. It was working perfectly but they still had it on a recall. While they had it they also replaced the battery. All this was completed in 4 days and was free. Who else would do that for a 2 year old phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Wow. I was here at the start of this thread and knew it would end up like this. Why can't people discuss which phones they prefer and why without inserting "such and such phones are shyte".

nc19 wrote: »

Debating the virtues of Samsung over Apple is one thing. Claiming that other Android phones hold their value as well as or better than Apple is nonsense. The fact that you had to throw in the potential cost of replacement screens to justify your position indicates that you also know this is nonsense.

I've had 5 iphones and i've never replaced a screen. In fact i've never needed to have any of them repaired in any way.

It's a simple fact that you will recoup a far greater percentage of your outlay on an Apple device over a 2 year period then you will on any other device in this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mikeholmes1

ann100 wrote: »
    I currently have the Samsung 4. I was thinking of changing to an iphone. Maybe the new iphone 6.
    Which is better Samsung or iphone?
    Also I'm with Tesco Mobile and the moment and coverage on the internet is very bad at times. And was thinking of changing to o2, vodafone or three.
    Which service provider is best coverage and best value?

Have had 3 samsung phones and have had major problems with all 3,have the s4 at the moment which isn't working,samsung have been a nightmare to deal with regarding fixing the phone,i'll probably buy an iphone this week even tho i paid 700quid to buy this phone less than a year ago,all in all i will never buy a samsung product again

Debating the virtues of Samsung over Apple is one thing. Claiming that other Android phones hold their value as well as or better than Apple is nonsense. The fact that you had to throw in the potential cost of replacement screens to justify your position indicates that you also know this is nonsense.

I've had 5 iphones and i've never replaced a screen. In fact i've never needed to have any of them repaired in any way.

It's a simple fact that you will recoup a far greater percentage of your outlay on an Apple device over a 2 year period then you will on any other device in this market.

The fact that you had to misqoute me to make your point speaks volumes. I did not say they hold their value as well as iPhones

Factoring in the cost of a screen(s) is hardly nonsense when it is a well documented flaw with all iPhones and is likely to happen to a large majority of users. I would say a good 75% of people I know with iPhones have had a smashed screen at least once vs about 10% of Samsung users.

Back on topic - OP buy what ever you want

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

peteeeed wrote: »
    if you have an ipad/mac then go with iphone as with the continuity of yosemite/ios 8 its all linked in very well
    Though you are sort of saying here that an iPhone won't work so great for a non-Mac owner then aren't you, which is 90%+ of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have been an iPhone owner for years..

Just recently switched to HTC One M8..

Beats all my iPhones hands down..

Wow. I was here at the start of this thread and knew it would end up like this. Why can't people discuss which phones they prefer and why without inserting "such and such phones are shyte".
    End up? We had an iPhone fan in right at the start doing it.
    For me it's quite simple. If you want a hassle free phone that works and is practically impossible for you to screw up by changing settings then get an iPhone. If you want a pain in the ass, get an android.
    Funny how you didn't notice and skipped to giving out about an anti-iPhone post at the end though, isn't it?

However, I did send my iPhone 5 back last week to get the sleep button replaced. It was working perfectly but they still had it on a recall. While they had it they also replaced the battery. All this was completed in 4 days and was free. Who else would do that for a 2 year old phone?
    Who else?
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm
    Absolutely everybody actually. By law.
    But don't let that stop you feeling special.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    End up? We had an iPhone fan in right at the start doing it.

Funny how you didn't notice and skipped to giving out about an anti-iPhone post at the end though, isn't it?

Nit picking? I had android phones and did find them a pain in the ass. It's not the same as saying that they that they are shyte at all.

Who else?
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm
    Absolutely everybody actually. By law.
    But don't let that stop you feeling special.

Jaysus...do you ever stop Apple bashing? It was over 2 years old. I was one of the first to get it. Therefore they did not have to repair it at all and could have told me to get lost especially since it was working fine. I didn't feel special. I just think it is great service.

Nit picking? I had android phones and did find them a pain in the ass. It's not the same as saying that they that they are shyte at all.
    Ah yes, "nit-picking". Roughly translates on the internet as "yes, you've proved me 100% wrong but that's only like, facts man".

Have had 3 samsung phones and have had major problems with all 3,have the s4 at the moment which isn't working,samsung have been a nightmare to deal with regarding fixing the phone,i'll probably buy an iphone this week even tho i paid 700quid to buy this phone less than a year ago,all in all i will never buy a samsung product again

If your beef's with Samsung, would you not consider trying another brand then? Lots of people rave about HTCs, Sony has its fans etc. Just wondering.

Jaysus...do you ever stop Apple bashing? It was over 2 years old. I was one of the first to get it. Therefore they did not have to repair it at all and could have told me to get lost especially since it was working fine. I didn't feel special. I just think it is great service.
    Fulfilling their legal obligations under EU consumer law is "great service".
    mmmk.
    Any chance you'd care to quote my supposed Apple bashing? (hint: I was "bashing" you for thinking something absolutely standard practice was amazing, not Apple)

• Advertisement

Ah yes, "nit-picking". Roughly translates on the internet as "yes, you've proved me 100% wrong but that's only like, facts man".

Don't know what your issue is but I'm in stitches laughing here. Some nice designs on those there androids but I wasn't too pushed on the operating system. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement