Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help.activating IEC work permit ONLY, is health insurance still needed at POE?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

I know that with the IEC work program, it states that you should enter Canada with your letter, sufficient funds and health insurance for the duration of your stay.
    My situtation is that I would like to go to Canada just to activate my work permit before the expiry date so I won't miss out, and return to work at a later date.

To do this, I will be entering with my letter, funds AND ONLY travel insurance as my stay would only be 5 days at max.
    Is this possible to do and would I be required to let the guards know at POE that this is my intention, thus the lack of proof of the 2 years health insurance?

Has anyone else done this before and what was asked or replied, about not having health insurance at the POE?

Any information about your experience or suggestions for my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Sammie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

I would imagine that you would have to have your proof of insurance with you as it's a condition of getting the Visa that you must have it. I could be wrong this is just my opinion. However, I have read here on boards of people who weren't asked to prove their insurance when they entered. I think the best thing to do would be to ring someone at the Embassy and ask them. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Your return ticket would be enough since it'd be very close to your arrival date

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

COYVB wrote: »
    Your return ticket would be enough since it'd be very close to your arrival date

That's not true at all. You keep giving misinformation on these threads.

OP, if you're activating your visa, whether you're entering canada for 2 hours or 2 years, you must* have proof of health insurance valid for the duration of your visa.

*whether they'll ask to see this proof is 50/50.

All insurance companies offer a 'cool down' period of 7-14 days. My advice is buy the insurance, and cancel it as soon as you get home.

You can take the chance of not having health insurance, but you run this risk of being refused entry at the border.

I'm not giving any misinformation at all. I've been here almost 6 years, I know how it works

I'm not giving any misinformation at all. I've been here almost 6 years, I know how it works

You don't "know", you've had experience. One person's experience. One single person.

Please do not act as if you're the Almighty God of Immigration Law Knowledge. Everything you say is "in your experience". Be aware of that & use your language accordingly.

• Advertisement

You don't "know", you've had experience. One person's experience. One single person.

Please do not act as if you're the Almighty God of Immigration Law Knowledge. Everything you say is "in your experience". Be aware of that & use your language accordingly.

My experience, the experience of everyone I know, and the experience of every single post on the subject I've seen on this forum. They don't ask for insurance at immigration because it is not a condition of entry into Canada, as strange as that sounds given the fact that it's listed as a requirement on the IEC paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

My experience, the experience of everyone I know, and the experience of every single post on the subject I've seen on this forum. They don't ask for insurance at immigration because it is not a condition of entry into Canada, as strange as that sounds given the fact that it's listed as a requirement on the IEC paperwork

I arrived in Canada 8 months ago on an IEC visa and was asked for everything on the Eligibility Criteria including insurance and proof of funds.
    To be eligible to activate your IEC according to Canada immigration website you must show you have insurance....

Eligibility Criteria for the Working Holiday
    accept to purchase, prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health-care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;

Link here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?lang=eng

However your situation is a bit of a catch 22 as if you want to just go to Canada to activate your visa and then go home/elsewhere for a few weeks/months chances are you are not abiding by the T's & C's of the insurance as they usually have a limited time that you can be out of Canada. Maybe you could ask the insurance company if they would 'pause' your insurance when you leave Canada until you're ready to move over?
    Best of luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seriously, that's just incorrect. Health insurance is a condition of entry, in that if you don't have it, you can be refused your visa. If you have insurance that's only valid for a year, they can issue a visa that's only valid for a year. We were asked for proof of insurance at the border, as were most people I know.

You've been here 6 years - presumably you haven't applied for an IEC visa within the last few years, so you may not be familiar with the current requirements.

Sure, the OP can chance not getting it, but s/he has to accept the risk of being turned away at immigration in that case. Unless you work for immigration services, you're in the wrong advising him/her to ignore the requirements of the IEC visa.

My experience, the experience of everyone I know, and the experience of every single post on the subject I've seen on this forum.

just striking out the irrelevant parts.

Are you authorised to speak on other people's behalf?

No, you are not.

Everything that is not something you, yourself, has experienced is about as valuable here as a statement I make saying the border guys got me to recite my nine times tables, name the last 3 presidents of Ireland & hop on one leg clockwise 3 times.

You *Think*, you Do Not *Know*. Accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sammiek

Thanks for all your input guys! Anyone know where I can meet new friends in Vancouver (a site), I wanna visit for a couple of days but would like to know someone there as I would look extremely lost and silly if I were to hang on my own.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

You could try the 'Irish in Vancouver' Facebook page to see if there are any meet ups happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sammiek

Has anyone activated this through a train/bus depot? I may go through customs this way instead of through the airport. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Sammie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Sammiek wrote: »
    Has anyone activated this through a train/bus depot? I may go through customs this way instead of through the airport. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Sammie

If you travel by land, the activation will be done wherever you cross the border and not at the destination.

Advertisement