Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Honey Show, 8th Nov, Christ Church, Rathgar

Options
  • 20-10-2014 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Here's a beekeeping event that might interest you.

The Dublin Honey Show is the highlight in the Dublin beekeeper’s calendar. Beekeepers compete for prizes for different honeys, wax, mead, cakes, candles and other hive products.

In addition, a range of different top-quality raw Dublin honeys will be on sale to the public.

This year we host two lectures which are free for Honey Show attendees:
    • At 12:00 noon, senior Dublin beekeeper Keith Pierce will give a talk on ‘Beginning with bees’. This will prove an excellent introduction to the craft for aspiring beekeepers.
    • At 2pm, ecologist and former TD Mary White will speak on the topic ‘Bees Work for Man but Does Man Work for Bees?’
    Finally, once again we will have a craft fair in the hall where you can come any buy your Christmas gifts.

Beekeepers - show rules, classes and the entry form are available here http://dublinbees.org/2014/09/08/the-2014-dublin-honey-show/. This year you can enter the show online at www.dublinbees.org/entryform.

The charge on the door of just €2 goes to our nominated charity, the Royal Hospital Donnybrook. See you at the show!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nekuchi

I'm SOOOOO excited about this!

I hear the honey sells quicker than a winning lottery ticket - what time do I have to get there to get a good choice of honeys to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

nekuchi wrote: »
    I'm SOOOOO excited about this!

I hear the honey sells quicker than a winning lottery ticket - what time do I have to get there to get a good choice of honeys to buy?

From what I remember of last year, the last of the honey was going by 2:00pm - at that stage it was a question of whether you could get honey rather than if you could get a choice...

Not sure what time doors open at...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

brianmc wrote: »
    From what I remember of last year, the last of the honey was going by 2:00pm - at that stage it was a question of whether you could get honey rather than if you could get a choice...

Not sure what time doors open at...
    Hi,

We will have plenty honey this year, so we may not sell out. Doors open at 10:30.

This year, once the association's honey is sold, members will be selling their own honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Anybody else going?

Me, for sure...

• Advertisement

solargain wrote: »
    Anybody else going?

I'll be there at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Will there be cut comb honey for sale? If so, how much roughly?

hfallada wrote: »

I don't know if there definitely will but there will certainly be some beekeepers entering sections in the competition. You should be able to make contact with someone who has some whatever about getting it on the spot.

hfallada wrote: »

Certainly sections for sale & probably cut comb. Arrive early to ensure you get some. Doors open 10:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nekuchi

Reesy wrote: »
    Hi, We will have plenty honey this year, so we may not sell out.
    I was there in the morning, for fear of getting no honey at all, and there was loads of association honey to go. What a brilliant year for honey!
    Unfortunately I couldn't stay too long but was wondering if any of the members sold their honey in the end?

• Advertisement

nekuchi wrote: »
    I was there in the morning, for fear of getting no honey at all, and there was loads of association honey to go. What a brilliant year for honey!
    Unfortunately I couldn't stay too long but was wondering if any of the members sold their honey in the end?

I think there was still some association honey for sale at the end of the day. Good year for the association apiary!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Great show , entries were up on last year

Advertisement