Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestion in the evenings and at weekends

Options
  • 20-10-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I am having a serious issue the last couple weeks with speeds on my NGB line in the evening and at the weekend (when I use it the most!!!). I am paying for up to 7mb broadband but I am lucky if I can get close to 1mb when I go to us it.

Why are eircom selling "up to" speeds when they can't be reached ?
    Why do they allow customers to sign up to "faster" packages when you won't get the benefit of these speeds ?
    Surely this is false advertising ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

will56 wrote: »
    I am having a serious issue the last couple weeks with speeds on my NGB line in the evening and at the weekend (when I use it the most!!!). I am paying for up to 7mb broadband but I am lucky if I can get close to 1mb when I go to us it.

Why do they allow customers to sign up to "faster" packages when you won't get the benefit of these speeds ?
    Hi will56

Sorry to hear this. I recommend contacting eircoms technical support department on 1890260260 when slow speeds occur. Speeds are provided on the condition of 'up to' as the full advised speed (eg 8MB) will not always be obtained.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi will56

Sorry to hear this. I recommend contacting eircoms technical support department on 1890260260 when slow speeds occur. Speeds are provided on the condition of 'up to' as the full advised speed (eg 8MB) will not always be obtained.

Thanks
    Al
    Surely you should be reducing the advertised "up to" speed as it is not achievable during times when people are likely to be using the internet ?

Hi will56

Thanks
    Al
    Surely you should be reducing the advertised "up to" speed as it is not achievable during times when people are likely to be using the internet ?
    Hi will56

'Up to' means speeds of anything up to 8 -  it's an unspecific speed.

Al

Hi Al,

I signed up to my current plan which was an increase in my Up To speed. If I had known the speeds would remain under 1mb I could have avoided the increase in my bill

Why does the Eircom site now advertise uncongested broadband ?
    My speed drops off in the evenings and weekends which I would assume is a result of other users accessing the internet at the same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your papackage is 7mb there's a high chance you're on a legacy exchange, these are not uncongested.

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

I signed up to my current plan which was an increase in my Up To speed. If I had known the speeds would remain under 1mb I could have avoided the increase in my bill

My speed drops off in the evenings and weekends which I would assume is a result of other users accessing the internet at the same time ?
    I'm sorry to hear you have not experienced a faster speed from your upgrade. If you wish to downgrade your package back to the original one you can do this through our sales team on 1901. 

We have uncongested exchanges available,  this is why we advertise them. 

If you are in an uncongested exchange this should not be happening to you, the best channel to contact is our support team on 1890 260 260 when you are experiencing theses issues and they can troubleshoot with you to identify the issues. 

Al 

Hi Al,

I'm sorry to hear you have not experienced a faster speed from your upgrade. If you wish to downgrade your package back to the original one you can do this through our sales team on 1901. 

We have uncongested exchanges available,  this is why we advertise them. 

If you are in an uncongested exchange this should not be happening to you, the best channel to contact is our support team on 1890 260 260 when you are experiencing theses issues and they can troubleshoot with you to identify the issues. 

Al 
    Can you advise what exchanges are uncongested.
    I am based in Ballivor Co Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pity the bill is not quoted as "up to"

Advertisement