Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So-called Football Fans Commenting During Matches

• 20-10-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Bit of a rant here...

I can't get my head around the so-called football fans on this forum commenting all throughout the games. In the QPR-Liverpool game yesterday there were 42 pages before the game was over - how do any of you get to watch the game when all you do is comment on everything that happens? It's the same for all games concerning Liverpool or Man United. Plus the threads are full of Liverpool/United bashing by each other's fans - very little from the opposing "smaller" teams they are playing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You see, we have these things called smart phones. Now, what this incredible technology allows people to do is to access this wonderful creation known as "The Internet" from their hand held device. Using this cosmic array of brilliance, some people manage to type a short message, similar to that of a text message, and post it online during a football game.

On top of this mind blowing stuff, there are also posters who can't watch the game for X, Y or Z and visit the threads for match updates as they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

hadoken13 wrote: »
    how do any of you get to watch the game when all you do is comment on everything that happens?

Multi-tasking.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You see, we have these things called smart phones. Now, what this incredible technology allows people to do is to access this wonderful creation known as "The Internet" from their hand held device. Using this cosmic array of brilliance, some people manage to type a short message, similar to that of a text message, and post it online during a football game.

On top of this mind blowing stuff, there are also posters who can't watch the game for X, Y or Z and visit the threads for match updates as they happen.
    Multi-tasking.

More like spending more time with your head in your phones rather than watching the game. Or is it like the Simpsons episode with Homer watching the NFL during Lisa's play with one eye on the play and the other pointing down at the screen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Most posts will be regarding goals/fouls/misses. All of which lead to a break in play, allowing people to post without missing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

People are getting defensive in here but i agree with the OP. I hate watching the match with someone who's constantly on their phone. It's a weird dependency on constantly knowing what strangers think and if any of them slagged your club. Some people like the 'banter' and boasting and all the other stuff around being a football fan rather than watching an actual game from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Match threads are the most retarded thing in forums. The rush to write YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS or whatever and then the same post 15-20 times in a row in the space of 30 seconds.

Best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gimmick wrote: »
    Match threads are the most retarded thing in forums. The rush to write YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS or whatever and then the same post 15-20 times in a row in the space of 30 seconds.

Best avoided.

it's all part of the fun, the rough and tumble, the banter if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

In fairness the QPR-LFC match was so poor yeterday , you could have written and posted War and bleedin Peace during it.

Also, can we ban the word banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

RayCon wrote: »
    In fairness the QPR-LFC match was so poor yeterday , you could have written and posted War and bleedin Peace during it.

Hang on, you can't have War & Peace, and NOT have Banter! Sure that's all that book was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

'HE POSTS WHEN HE WANTS, HE POSTS WHEN HE WAANNTS'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I agree that watching a match takes a fair amount of concentration - even at matches, you'll see a lot of supporters who seem to prefer to do anything other than watch the game.

As bizarre as commenting during matches is people commenting afterwards in great detail, and with great conviction, on players/tactics/etc in matches that they (a) haven't seen or (b) have only seen goals/5 minute highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lets be honest football isnt the most exciting sport about. The ball is only ever in play for about 50-60 minutes per game. You need something to entertain yourself during all the waste time.

Lets be honest football isnt the most exciting sport about.

lol, back to the rugger forum with you, or god forbid, the stick fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I stopped posting during United matches a long time ago. Before them yes, half-time yes and after the match yes. All it takes is a controversial incident or comment and you will find yourself missing too much of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Best avoided.

This is pretty much it. A 50 page matcj thread could be cut down substantially without all the
    Yeeeeeesssssss
    Get in

And of course
    LOL (capitals for extra effect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

lol, back to the rugger forum with you, or god forbid, the stick fighting.

I dont understand what point you are trying to make

RayCon wrote: »

Only if it's replaced with "bants".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This place will be interesting this week. Liverpool real will be like a Liverpool Utd game as Ronaldo plays for real and then on Saturday round 2 we have liverpool suarez against Utd ronaldo.

Only if it's replaced with "bants".

bantz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People watch TV and comment on it online, it doesn't have to be sport, it is easy to have a set up with your TV in front of you, a smart phone, a tablet, laptop or PC either on you or beside you - depending on device and to watch and comment.

In Sport there is action but it is like the broadcaster showing a reply, there is always time to post something and not miss the action.
    It is also a social way of watching a game, not everyone wants or likes going to a pub or wherever to watch a match with a group of people.

Thing is too, you have familiar people posting and a lot of people like seeing a name they recognise cos you get an idea of someone over time.

TL,DR, it is a modern way of watching sport and some other TV programs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Doesn't bother me too much people talking threw out games can add to the atmosphere as well especially if your watching a game on your own.

What I am sick of though is every match thread involving either United or Liverpool turning into a **** fest between both sets of fans.

Someone mmentioned that there's no place for the supportes of the "smaller" teams in these games I mentioned the very same thing to someone recently on here so I agree!

Soccer forum is about much more than just Manchester United and Liverpool it's a shame cause it's turning myself and I'd imagine a lot more people off viewing and posting in threads.

Doesn't bother me too much people talking threw out games can add to the atmosphere as well especially if your watching a game on your own.

wat?

wat?

I watch a lot of games at home and me girlfriend has very little interest so I guess reading the reactions on here ads to game for me.

hardly an atmosphere though.

heh, I'd be the same at home with the wife, she doesn't like football, and there's usually an "atmosphere" when it goes on, if you get me.

hardly an atmosphere though.

heh, I'd be the same at home with the wife, she doesn't like football, and there's usually an "atmosphere" when it goes on, if you get me.

Well it adds to the enjoyment of the game let's say. I like reading and seeing the reactions to what's going on and seeing what people think compared to meself. If that wasn't there it be me shouting at the TV by myself ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anybody else think op is doing boards wrong?

I mean there is only 19 pages for that QPR V Liverpool thread not 42?

Also there are breaks in play so you can comment but only do it at home, if I am out watching a game or at the game phone is in pocket.

Then you have people who are watching games via a stream on a 2nd monitor and also have boards open so not hard to comment then either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How can the threads annoy people if they're off watching the game and not online anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I can't get my head around the so-called football fans on this forum commenting all throughout the games.

It must be great craic going to games with you.:rolleyes:

I think you're missing something fundamental about watching sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Zico wrote: »
    It must be great craic going to games with you.:rolleyes:

Do you allow discussion at half-time?

It's a fairly big difference commenting on a game while it's on than while it's at HT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In neutral games, I do like a chat, to see fan reactions, etc. I tend not to talk so much during City games, but an occasional look at the chat in breaks in play is pretty fun. I guess I'm not super-serious about PL football like some.

They're pretty easily avoided if you don't like them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lolz-atron thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Bit of a rant here...

I can't get my head around the so-called football fans on this forum commenting all throughout the games. In the QPR-Liverpool game yesterday there were 42 pages before the game was over - how do any of you get to watch the game when all you do is comment on everything that happens? It's the same for all games concerning Liverpool or Man United. Plus the threads are full of Liverpool/United bashing by each other's fans - very little from the opposing "smaller" teams they are playing.
    Mocha Joe wrote: »
    People are getting defensive in here but i agree with the OP. I hate watching the match with someone who's constantly on their phone. It's a weird dependency on constantly knowing what strangers think and if any of them slagged your club. Some people like the 'banter' and boasting and all the other stuff around being a football fan rather than watching an actual game from start to finish.

Best avoided.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    This is pretty much it. A 50 page matcj thread could be cut down substantially without all the
    Yeeeeeesssssss
    Get in

And of course
    LOL (capitals for extra effect)

All good posts IMO, have voiced my opinion on this topic before, very very lame those match threads, if people need to have company during a match try going to the pub or inviting a friend over if you have any!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would never post when im at a game.

If I'm watching it by myself on the telly Ill follow the match thread to see other people's reactions.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

All good posts IMO, have voiced my opinion on this topic before, very very lame those match threads, if people need to have company during a match try going to the pub or inviting a friend over if you have any!

You've never lived more than a Ryanair flight from home have you?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd only ever post at half time or full time. I would agree with the OP slightly its better to just watch the match. A lot of posts are rival supporters waiting for something to happen so they can be the first to post hahaha, lol or whatever is the usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Go to the match not better advice if you're gonna be that preachy, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Very smug post and really stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's a sport that offers plenty of opportunities during the 90 minutes to post, tweet or even order a pint. Once I'm enjoying it I don't mind how anybody else watches games from a selfish perspective. Don't really see how that makes us "so called football fans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Very smug post and really stupid.

Very well constructed post and not at all stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Soccer is an extremely stop start game that is often ball-achingly boring. I presume match threads alleviate that boredom for some people.

• Advertisement

Aux armes..citoyens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

bantz

#topbantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

City's best bet here is to pull someone put of the crowd like the mars ad. They're not going to win it themselves. They are making loverpools conversion rate look good
    Samich wrote: »
    Thoght that was in!!!!!!!!
    recyclebin wrote: »
    5 minutes for city

3 for united
    efb wrote: »
    Paddy Kenny Und player of the year
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    wmfot0.jpg
    Drumpot wrote: »
    5 mins injury time in city game . .WTF . . Dont ever want to hear of fergie time again . .
    mike65 wrote: »
    ITS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dzeko
    2-2, come on!
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    I'm almost happy they (may!) have lost it just to see the look on his face.
    Holy ****, imagine this...
    patrickc wrote: »
    2-2 wooot
    String wrote: »
    Oh sh*t! Surely they have one more chance!?
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Ha, had to happen didn't it :D
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ha! Great header :pac:
    CL7 wrote: »
    Dzeko: "Lets do this".
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Did you miss that whole thing with Barton? Plus subs and three goals, makes easily five minutes. I thought it would have been more.
    how much injury time left in manchester?
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    They got one, but still don't think they'll get two.
    5 mins injury - now 2 mins remaining

brill stuff for the netural!
    Turtwig wrote: »
    If it stays like this it will be almost a twin to the Barca Chelsea SF.
    I saw many people leaving, imagine having left and City to win it with the last kick of the ball...
    nooooooooooooo
    CL7 wrote: »
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    davycc wrote: »
    3-2
    I don't ****ing believe it
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Wow, just wow
    Helix wrote: »
    holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes ****ing yes
    OMG!!!
    HOLY SH!T AHOFBVPOQANWE ;ILEHVBG
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    UN****INGREAL
    Not best in terms of quality for sure, but all I'll say is we are both watching the the Premiership.

Sh*t....
    OOPS!
    CITY CHAMPIONS!

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ THOSE THAT LEFT :D
    ollie1 wrote: »
    holy crap
    Nasri has been &^%4ing awful today. A limp Toure would of been better.
    efb wrote: »
    OMG
    Duff wrote: »
    :O :O
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek:
    mike65 wrote: »
    kun-aguero_1976994c.jpg
    chupacabra wrote: »
    From a lifetime Manchester United fan. Well done City, well deserved. Looks like you CAN buy a Premier League trophy afterall ;)
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Blow it f*cking up.:D
    muff03 wrote: »
    Holy God almighty!
    OMFFFFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Ah well..fair play..congrats City...
    Amazing final day
    jive wrote: »
    The lad with the tattoo is delighted
    Oh god
    Yakult wrote: »
    ****ING EPIC!
    Saw that coming. Probably the greatest ending day of any season ever. Insane.
    Unbelievable, greatest end to a season ever.
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    nice comeback
    That's a bit mad, Ted
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Haha, that has to be the latest league winning goal ever (even later than Thomas at Liverpool in 89)?
    Bloody hell.

I've never seen drama like that. Congratulations Manchester City. That's exactly how I would have wanted to win it too.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me...Are you kidding me..
    Lapin wrote: »
    Wow

Just

Wow
    'Football....bloody hell'
    I can't believe it.
    iMuse wrote: »
    lmfao get in
    copacetic wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus, nearly bottling drama loving bastards! Pleased for qpr at least that didn't send them down.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    :(
    Phoenix wrote: »
    What a game!
    we will never see anything like that again
    Manchester City Champions. What a game.
    well done city, did anyone back them when losing there?
    uhoh pitch invasion
    Bottlers win the title..

Tomorrows headline...
    fullstop wrote: »
    Cissé celebrating with Nasri :D
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    My jaw is still on the floor.

I ****ing love football.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As a Pool man, fair f*cks to City.. what a comeback!

Glad to hear QPR are safe too after all that
    what a final day
    What a match - cant stand either team :p
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Jaysus its like an All Ireland final down there
    kev9100 wrote: »
    The awkward moment when the noisy neighbours win.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Football hey??!!!

That was mental!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Bunch of fcuking saps if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Wow. Hope you feel good about yourself after trawling through so many posts and not making a post.

UnjWDkE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow. Hope you feel good about yourself after trawling through so many posts and not making a post.

UnjWDkE.gif

It's almost like there are many ways to make a point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's almost like there are many ways to make a point...

Fact #493 about Gowly, personal favourite is in gifs.

0U7DOyn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Some of us can multitask, try it op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I've even posted from football stadia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I can't get my head around the so-called football fans on this forum commenting all throughout the games......

Yeah, discussing football on a discussion forum about - football.

Outrageous carry on altogether.

Down with this sort of thing.

Another thing. Has anyone figured out the point of post #44 yet? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement