Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn covered in Toadstools

• 20-10-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

My rear lawn is absolutely covered in Toadstools! Is there anything that I can do to prevent this?, I noticed that the growth of the grass this year was very poor, in recent years I've had to cut it once a week but this year I probably cut it less than half a dozen times! Would there be a drainage issue, I had it relaid approx. 4 years ago and a drain was put in but it is in much worse condition than ever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They don't last for long and its just part of nature.
    Are you sure they are toadstools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had them for the 1st time this year, big brutes too, strimmer soon sorted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They don't last for long and its just part of nature.
    Are you sure they are toadstools?

Actually they look like Mushrooms, but a little browner. Would a toadstool be red on top? If they are Mushrooms would they be edible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

A lot of mushrooms are extremely bad for you. A lot are edible. But even the edible ones might make you trip out. Probably best leaving them all alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

mattb74 wrote: »
    My rear lawn is absolutely covered in Toadstools! Is there anything that I can do to prevent this?, I noticed that the growth of the grass this year was very poor, in recent years I've had to cut it once a week but this year I probably cut it less than half a dozen times! Would there be a drainage issue, I had it relaid approx. 4 years ago and a drain was put in but it is in much worse condition than ever.
    Do you have many trees in the garden?

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    Do you have many trees in the garden?

Yes, a 10 year old white birch. Getting very big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would you get them when never had them before?

This year is the first that mine appeared and they were big 'uns.

I have a couple of trees in the lower part of my garden, and thats mostly where they appeared. HAving said that, after I strimmed/cut them, they didn't regrow. Maybe time of year seen to that?

They come from spores, so could be wind carried etc.
    This year lots of things grew where they didn't previously because of the long hot summer.
    Up to this point it has been too dry for fungi to grow, they usually need a bit of moisture.
    I like the look of them personally, as they mark the changing of the seaons but I can appreciate that others may not.
    They won't make any difference to your lawn if thats what you are concerned about, they are really only here for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

mattb74 wrote: »
    Yes, a 10 year old white birch. Getting very big.

Birch tree roots and fungi have some sort of symbiotic relationship . This is the reason I believe.
    Have a Google of mycorrhizal fungi hebeloma and lactarius, it's interesting reading, and good to know how mother nature works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 C.

Fairy Washing up liquid(2 -3tbl spoons) mixed in ten litres of water should get rid of them.. Poke holes in ground beside toadstools and pour in mix. Dont allow liquid to frought-up when mixing.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll give the fairy a try. Growing bigger by the day

Fairy liquid is full of phosphates, the grass will grow like you put down 10-10-20!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Fairy liquid is full of phosphates, the grass will grow like you put down 10-10-20!

I never knew this. Can I use it as a fertilizer for grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 C.

2 to 3 table spoons shouldnt do much harm although i do agree. If you ever see the growth fairy liquid puts on grass when the gully pipe at sink blocks and spills onto lawn . Nice lush grass after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hah! Easily known this is an Irish thread rather than anywhere else in the world. Anywhere else this would be "can I eat these", but here it's "how do I kill it".

I'd do a spore print (stand one up on a piece of paper overnight) and bring to a mushroom identifier. If the spore print comes out pink, it could be a Miller Mushroom, which is edible. Win!

Advertisement