Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free Honey?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I was out shopping yesterday and choosing which honey to buy (of the commercial kind) when a lady next to me asked if you can get gluten free honey.
    Is there gluten in honey?

She eventually found one that claimed to be gluten free, but is that just like the warning on a take-away tea saying 'caution, contents hot'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

nekuchi wrote: »
    I was out shopping yesterday and choosing which honey to buy (of the commercial kind) when a lady next to me asked if you can get gluten free honey.
    Is there gluten in honey?

She eventually found one that claimed to be gluten free, but is that just like the warning on a take-away tea saying 'caution, contents hot'?

No gluten in honey that I'm aware of.

Maybe theres gluten in some of the really dodgy honey-like syrups that you sometimes see... but I wouldn't expect gluten even in the average supermarket honeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lots of people want to buy gluten free products as it's the latest fad in dieting.
    It's probably a good marketing ploy for honey sellers to label theirs as gluten free as that's how it is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

No such thing as gluten in honey, a lot of products are marked gluten free, as this is what they could any way. Gluten free is a life style choice for some people and a life saver for others. I bet the one with the gluten free label was lots more expensive. typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, there are some very niche circumstances in which a honey product may not be gluten-free, but it would be pretty clear if it wasn't. If it's pure honey, it's gluten-free.

Goes to show what happens when people follow fad diets that they don't even understand themselves. As said above, she probably paid double the amount for the one marked gluten-free, and it was probably half the quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement