Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE DECIDER. HUGE MATCH. DUNDALK FC V CORK CITY

• 20-10-2014 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

This quite simply is the biggest most important game any fan will see until at least next April. Doesn't matter if you support Man Utd, Liverpool, Madrid or Barcelona. None of your teams games for the next six months are as big as this one. This game has all the ingredients to make it a classic.

The people's Champions Dundalk up against an ugly but dogged Cork side. The Leesiders one point ahead but playing away at a ground where they've been battered bruised and ripped apart twice this season. Dundalk could have kept their lead going into the final game of the season but unfortunately the elements in Bray were against us and we were forced to abandon our super slick sexy football for a more direct approach which resulted in us gaining merely a point.

Almost a thousand Cork men, women and children shall descend upon Dundalk more in hope than expectation. Deep inside their brains when they ask themselves in that funny accent they have 'Can we really do this?', each and every one of them will know that Dundalk will not be denied.

5000 people will have the privilege to watch this titanic battle between the two best teams in the country. Lets hope the game is decided on merit and not by a crappy referee decision. Looking forward to this. A couple of hiccups from the mighty Lilywhites over the last week or so but I'm still confident we can bring home the bacon for the first time since 1995.

Who will lift the league trophy on Friday evening? 79 votes

Dundalk FC
    0%
    Cork City
    100%
    Tippexmada999CollibosherUnearthlygernonPigheadhomerjay2005NailzRikandMonkeyTennisNIMANWhite HorseclickhereDuff_Puma_Sr. PirotecnicSunset Vdfx-murpho999frostie500 79 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Can't believe that
    A. Dundalk have not won the league by now and
    B. they are going into this game in second place.

PS. Thread title needs more capital letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've a few buddies going up to it, it'll be a cracker alright.

Theres something about trying to hold on away that makes any football nervous so I'd prefer to be Dundalk going into it but thats just me, they have to win and that mentality might stand to them whereas City know a draw will do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Cork City
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Can't believe that
    A. Dundalk have not won the league by now and
    B. they are going into this game in second place.

PS. Thread title needs more capital letters
    Believe it buddy. This is real life. This is happening. One point down going into the final game of the season. We have given the neutrals exactly what they wanted. As somebody posted here the other day this is like the excitement of a cup final multiplied by 100. Do Cork play for a draw? Do Dundalk go all out early and blitz Cork or play a patient game systematically breaking them down before striking late for a glorious victory? Will RTE give this game the proper build up it deserves? So many questions. Such intrigue. MASSIVE GAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cork City
    Is it possible to want neither to win it?

Bigger game in the Play Off tbh.

Cork City
    Bigger game in the Play Off tbh.
    You're off your rocker. The playoff game is like a boards 5 a side friendly on astro turf when compared to THE DECIDER. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you stayed at home to watch the Dundalk game rather than watch Shels huff and puff before ultimately failing to claw back their two goal deficit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Is it possible to want neither to win it?

Yeah, you could want them to draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pighead wrote: »
    You're off your rocker. The playoff game is like a boards 5 a side friendly on astro turf when compared to THE DECIDER. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you stayed at home to watch the Dundalk game rather than watch Shels huff and puff before ultimately failing to claw back their two goal deficit.

This part made me smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

astro turf

Ha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id put Dundalk as favorites but I couldn't vote for anyone but City.

Dundalk's previous games against city wouldn't give me any confidence but from what i've seen we let ourselves down in those games. We have the better form and its been a while since we have been beaten but then that was by Dundalk.

Cork City
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id put Dundalk as favorites but I couldn't vote for anyone but City.

Dundalk's previous games against city wouldn't give me any confidence but from what i've seen we let ourselves down in those games. We have the better form and its been a while since we have been beaten but then that was by Dundalk.
    Well said. It does indeed seem that Cork have a mental block when it comes to getting away results against the big teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Looking forward to seeing the Palestinian flags on show on Friday!

I want Dundalk to win purely for the thread that Pighead will start in celebration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kenny to bottle it again V Cork ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Funny Accents? and you're from Louth:pac::pac:

All the pressure is on Dundalk. If they lose this it will top down as the greatest bottler team of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cork City
    I hope we get a repeat of conditions from last Friday. That would make it an extra level of fun.

Cork City

All the pressure is on Dundalk. If they lose this it will top down as the greatest bottler team of all time.
    The phrase 'bottle it' has lost all sense of what it originally meant due to overuse. It seems that every single person who loses a sporting event is now classed as a bottler. Sometimes through a mixture of luck or simply the other guy/team being better on the day you lose. Nothing to do with bottling it. Bottling it to me is when you have built up a healthy lead and start losing all around you due to nerves/inability to handle the pressure. Facts are this Dundalk side have lost once since May (against last season's champions).

Don't think you Cork guys are giving your own side enough credit. Your end of season run of victories has been very impressive. Our form is decent but you have overtook us due to a fantastic six wins on the trot. Our last six games have seen us win three, draw two and lose one. Hardly bottling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The phrase 'bottle it' has lost all sense of what it originally meant due to overuse. It seems that every single person who loses a sporting event is now classed as a bottler. Sometimes through a mixture of luck or simply the other guy/team being better on the day you lose. Nothing to do with bottling it. Bottling it to me is when you have built up a healthy lead and start losing all around you due to nerves/inability to handle the pressure. Facts are this Dundalk side have lost once since May (against last season's champions).

Don't think you Cork guys are giving your own side enough credit. Your end of season run of victories has been very impressive. Our form is decent but you have overtook us due to a fantastic six wins on the trot. Our last six games have seen us win three, draw two and lose one. Hardly bottling it.

whoever gets the result deserves to win the league.

Don't have any hatred for Dundalk always found them decent club and admire what they have achieved with maybe limited resources at times even meet their fans home and away and found them sound.

I was a little lad in though in 1991 when Dundalk won the league at Turners Cross and it still hurts.

For that I want revenge. It may not come, but if it does it will be sweet.

I think its about its about 55% chance Dundalk will win it and 45% Cork chance, I give Dundalk slight favourites, but I think we can nick point too.

Its going down to last kick imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Well said!!

1 more clean sheet for City Friday night and the league is ours!

Cork City
    whoever gets the result deserves to win the league.

Don't have any hatred for Dundalk always found them decent club and admire what they have achieved with maybe limited resources at times even meet their fans home and away and found them sound.

I was a little lad in though in 1991 when Dundalk won the league at Turners Cross and it still hurts.

For that I want revenge. It may not come, but if it does it will be sweet.

I think its about its about 55% chance Dundalk will win it and 45% Cork chance, I give Dundalk slight favourites, but I think we can nick point too.

Its going down to last kick imo.
    Couldn't agree more. We definitely have the soundest fans in the league.

It's set up perfectly and judging by the queue outside Oriel Park this morning this will be a complete sell out. This is what supporting your team is all about. There is a part of me that is happy that we have a final day decider. Obviously if we had it already in the bag I would have taken that gladly but at the same time the excitement this game will generate is almost worth the last day nerves associated with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

4-0 to the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cork City
    I hope we get a repeat of conditions from last Friday. That would make it an extra level of fun.

What was the biggest lead they have had this season?

in fairness to them, whatever about the Rovers game, the last night in Bray was not a night for football and very few teams would have come out of their with a handy win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I voted for Cork because I would enjoy Dundalk losing it.
    I actually think Dundalk will win but I would find it hilarious if they don't. I hope Kenny threatens to take his team off the pitch again too.

Cork City
    Game has just sold out in the past half an hour. No tickets left. Apparently some Cork City supporters made the trip up to Oriel Park but were refused any due to their quite obvious Corkness. No hiding that in fairness.

Wonder if they'll try and get in some temporary seating like we did for the EA Sports Cup Final where we outplayed Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cork City
    Game has just sold out in the past half an hour. No tickets left. Apparently some Cork City supporters made the trip up to Oriel Park but were refused any due to their quite obvious Corkness. No hiding that in fairness.

Wonder if they'll try and get in some temporary seating like we did for the EA Sports Cup Final where we outplayed Shamrock Rovers.

whats the total capacity and what could the stadium hold with extra seats?

Cork City
    whats the total capacity and what could the stadium hold with extra seats?
    If it is sold out as it is now then there will be the guts of 5000 at it. If they bring in extra seats I'm guessing that it will be for maybe 1000 extra tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

CCFC to take it down in 2011 stylee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At no stage this seaon have I thought we would win the league and I still don't. Its a strange one, I know I will be absolutely gutted if we don't despite having no expectation at any stage.

One clean sheet though. Its a pity I have no faith in our defence to do exactly that.

Big games needed for Colin Healy and Dan Murray, the 2 most experienced guys on the pitch. I hope Gearoid Morrissey can start as well. His calm head and ball playing will be vital.

Bus organised, tickets in hand. Ready to roll north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm sure Cork fans are sweating to win their first Premier title but I can see Dundalk beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Will make a change with the pubs in Cork to be packed for something different than GAA or Rugby :pac:

Definitely looking forward to it.

Cork City
    Current Title Odds

Dundalk FC 10/11
    Cork City FC 10/11

That's pretty close! Poll's a sham by the way. Lot of jealousy permeating these boards. Surprised and disappointed at a few posters who have plumped for Cork. One can only hope they pressed the wrong button.

Statement from the club:
    Due to an incredible demand for tickets this morning, Dundalk FC have suspended ticket sales for Friday’s Cork City match.

We will update this page if and when further tickets are released for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

glass-liquor-bottles-1007563.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That's pretty close! Poll's a sham by the way. Lot of jealousy permeating these boards. Surprised and disappointed at a few posters who have plumped for Cork. One can only hope they pressed the wrong button.

I picked Cork because Dundalk fans convinced they won the league in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't consider either club to be rivals so not bothered but would like Cork to do it if pushed to pick a team.

Only needing a draw is a massive boost for Cork IMO and they've kept a lot of clean sheets. Dundalk looked nervous against us and Bray as well.

Ironic that for all the fanfare about goals scored, the goal difference is meaningless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Dundalk could have kept their lead going into the final game of the season but unfortunately the elements in Bray were against us and we were forced to abandon our super slick sexy football for a more direct approach which resulted in us gaining merely a point.

Just for the record, it was a horrendous night of weather when Cork City played in the Carlisle Grounds too. Cork City won 2-0.

Cork City
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    I picked Cork because Dundalk fans convinced they won the league in July.
    So you're not a fan of belief then? Tut tut. Such a losers attitude. As old Grandad Pighead used to say 'Belief in oneself is one of the most important bricks in building any successful venture.'

Cork City
    eigrod wrote: »
    Just for the record, it was a horrendous night of weather when Cork City played in the Carlisle Grounds too. Cork City won 2-0.
    Nonsense. It was barely drizzling. Are ye men or mice down there. Check out Soccer Republic this evening if you want to see proper monsoon conditions.

• Advertisement

Steven Kenny style excuses being vomited by piggy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Last time City won the league it was first versus second on the final game of the season and Dan Murray lifted the cup to make us Champions of Ireland. :)
    Hoping for the same again.

C'mon City, C'mon City, C'mon City, C'mon City!!! :D

The difference being is that Derry chased us all the way, we slipped up in the 2nd last game. They came to Cork needing just a draw. The rest is history.

Cork City
    Go to 1.33 of this video to witness some glorious scenes. We had to travel down to Turner's Cross back in 91 and play in front of 10000 home fans. A win would see us lift th eleague title. If Cork won they were champions. Into the Lions Den. Had we got the bottle? Of course we had. Tom McNulty forever a Dundalk hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I thought bottle didn't matter to you only a few hours ago? :confused:

• Advertisement

Cork City
    kfallon wrote: »
    I thought bottle didn't matter to you only a few hours ago? :confused:
    Things change fast fallon. Basically the rules are: If Dundalk lose it's not because we bottled it. It's because of a mixture of bad luck stars misaligning and a possible FAI conspiracy.
    If Dundalk win then you can claim that bottle was all important and the result proves you've got it in spades.Admittedly, it's a very technical subject and I can see how confusion may arise but if you follow the above criteria you should be able to understand where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hope Cork pull this off because Dundalk have been wrecking my head since last season.

In saying that, a Dundalk triumph would be worth it just to see Pighead's posts afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

monkey9 wrote: »
    In saying that, a Dundalk triumph would be worth it just to see Pighead's posts afterwards.
    We should see a good post regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It's a shame Sky don't cover LOI. They'd be perfect to hype the sh_it out of this one.

Erm, Dundalk to squeak it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cork City

Your posts read like a Ross O Carroll-Kelly book.

Word is a good 500 home tickets are headed south. Shoddy organisation from Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cork City
    I am dying for this one. Hope Dundalk do it to be honest, they've been great since the season started while City haven't impressed me much at all... although that overhead was a thing of beauty from Healy. I'm gonna be a an armchair fan for this and give Dalymount a miss on Friday, wonder will many other attendances suffer from it? It's like a cup final times 10 to be fair, very seldom you get games of this magnitude. I'm hearing loads of non LOI fans taking an interest too. Hope the areas of Cork and Dundalk do a some good trade out of this too pub wise. It better be back page news too and not buried away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Went for Cork due to the fact that a draw will do it for them and their recent record of grinding out 1-0 or 2-1 wins. Im surprised that Cork have got this close to the title. When I saw them in March they looked a useful if very cynical side I thought then that they might get a European spot but they really have done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cork City
    I have an inkling for Dundalk on this one.
    If they click on the night they will be too good for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Hopefully cark batter them

• Advertisement
Advertisement