Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for anyone in Canada on IEC Visa or heading over on IEC Visa

Options
  • 20-10-2014 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,

I got my IEC POE this year. I'm thinking of heading over around February but nothing set in stone yet.

Did anyone already there or heading over on IEC Visa have a job arranged prior to departure? If so, how did you go about getting it? Or any tips on how I should go about getting one while still in Ireland? I've contacted several recruitment agencies and they all said to contact them again once I'm over there which is perfectly understandable. It's just that I would feel a lot better if I had a job lined up. Not bothered it it's only temporary or working through an agency.

My area of work is secretarial / admin but I willing to turn my hand to anything.

Vancouver would be my place of choice but if I was offered a job elsewhere I would seriously consider it.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully accepted!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I came over to Calgary on an IEC 8 months ago without a job lined up. My experience was in office admin/customer services. I contacted a recruitment agency on Wednesday, met with them on Thursday and they had me in a temporary job on the Monday :eek: Happened so quickly. I am still with the same agency but in a temp to perm position now and will be taken on by the company soon.
    In Calgary there is definitely no shortage of temp work just to get you started while you look for something permanent. Can't speak for Vancouver though...
    maybe ask in the 'Irish in Vancouver' facebook page?
    Best of luck with the move! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

Hi JenL, thanks for replying. Just a few quick questions if you don't mind. From researching online I know that when you're temping through an agency they take a portion of your wage but how much (percentage wise) do they take? How are you finding Calgary? Is there much going on there? Also, what's the transport system like? Thanks!!

Advertisement