Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water protest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Sound. Not meaning to derail thread, but does anyone know when our actual use starts to be monitored for the bill?

Some people are telling me that its a fixed charge at the moment and at present, the actual amount of water use is not being taken into consideration. That will happen in 2015. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kettleson wrote: »
    Sound. Not meaning to derail thread, but does anyone know when our actual use starts to be monitored for the bill?

Some people are telling me that its a fixed charge at the moment and at present, the actual amount of water use is not being taken into consideration. That will happen in 2015. Is that correct?

Billing from the start of October. First bills in new year. Fixed charge for first 9 months. Will vary if connected to mains, sewage, or both. Also increases depending of number un house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I think that 1st November is the perfect opportunity for everyone to show the think enough is enough and not just b1tch about it on barstools or in living rooms. No harm in taking some action even if you're going to sign up to these charges. Get out for the hour or two. I couldn't make the trip to Dublin a couple of weeks ago but will be on the Sligo march. Let the people do the talking because it is working you know.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-water-crisis-as-1m-fail-to-sign-up-for-charges-30680206.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

You don't need to worry about things like that because we won't be paying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

sari wrote: »
    People are obviously free to protest all they like but this is coming in one way or another, protests aren't going to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Fixed "assessed charge" from 1st Oct 2014 for 9 months.

That period may be extended, we'll see.

Now, if you have a meter, and your actual usage is less than the assessed charge, then you'll get a rebate.

As 1m households have not registered, then many things may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Plazaman wrote: »
    I think that 1st November is the perfect opportunity for everyone to show the think enough is enough and not just b1tch about it on barstools or in living rooms. No harm in taking some action even if you're going to sign up to these charges. Get out for the hour or two. I couldn't make the trip to Dublin a couple of weeks ago but will be on the Sligo march. Let the people do the talking because it is working you know.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-water-crisis-as-1m-fail-to-sign-up-for-charges-30680206.html

Are there any protests against the 52% marginal tax rate on incomes over 32,800?

I would join that protest.

Geuze wrote: »
    Fixed "assessed charge" from 1st Oct 2014 for 9 months.

That period may be extended, we'll see.

Now, if you have a meter, and your actual usage is less than the assessed charge, then you'll get a rebate.

As 1m households have not registered, then many things may change.

Thanks for that, and if the usage is more? Charged more?

The "fixed assessed charge" sounds like a bit of a misnomer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Thanks for that, and if the usage is more? Charged more?

The "fixed assessed charge" sounds like a bit of a misnomer to me.

Not for the duration of the fixed charge

• Advertisement

A reminder of the other costs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

They should just bring a saddle and some ky for those prices and it's a pity I'll be in Sligo this weekend and not the following weekend. Would have liked to have joined the protest.

Itzy wrote: »
    They should just bring a saddle and some ky for those prices and it's a pity I'll be in Sligo this weekend and not the following weekend. Would have liked to have joined the protest.

Indeed, at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Or same as every other trade, you could hire your own plumber if you have a leak! Its not like the oil man is going to re fill your tank for free if its leaking, will your electric company pay for a fuse board if yours blows?

Personally I'm a fan of charges been clearly identified for government services. Hopefully the public sector will find some accountability!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

thebuzz wrote: »
    sari wrote: »

People are obviously free to protest all they like but this is coming in one way or another, protests aren't going to stop it.

The can bring in all the charges they want. But if some people have resolved not to pay these chargers, then they won't be getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

any one know what time and from where the protest starts.??

2pm from the gpo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Great show of strength from the people of Sligo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Yeah, it was an impressive turnout.

Good job they didn't hold it an or hour so later though. Absolutely pissed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Warm welcome for Enda up at Sligo Park tonight.

sligo2-630x470.jpg

Advertisement