Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The staggering price of weddings in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd say you should be able to get married for about €2000. (including rings, wedding dress, Groom can wear a regular good suit),
    lol!
    Am I off the wall ??

Yes. But fair play to you if you manage what you describe with that budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

€2,000 including a proper photographer would be very optimistic. I priced a good few when we were getting married and some were €2,000 for photos alone, prints and albums were extra. We spent a mid-range amount on ours and they were brilliant, and we have the best photos on the wall and were able to get prints and albums for our parents.
    I would be surprised if you can do food for a crowd within that budget along with drinks and photos, and ceremony etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yeah, I got married in the registry office which was 50 euros back then, dress was just under 100, his suit was about 250, we didn't have flowers, cake, cars, photographer or rings, I got the bridesmaids dresses second hand for 100 all in, we had the reception at home so I hired caterers, not sure what they cost but it was less than 400. I didn't have much money at the time and we didn't want to borrow so I had to work within my budget as best I could.

Fair play to you, that's the way to do it!
    fits wrote: »
    How much do people spend on the cake?

Crazy amounts, no matter how you look at it... ours was also in the region of 300 I think. I know it was lots of work, so I don't begrudge our baker. However, now looking back, I wouldn't have bothered. The most expensive cake I'd get now is maybe 22 Euro for a home birthday dinner from Gourmet Tart co. or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

lazygal wrote: »
    €2,000 including a proper photographer would be very optimistic. I priced a good few when we were getting married and some were €2,000 for photos alone, prints and albums were extra. We spent a mid-range amount on ours and they were brilliant, and we have the best photos on the wall and were able to get prints and albums for our parents.
    I would be surprised if you can do food for a crowd within that budget along with drinks and photos, and ceremony etc.

Photgrapher is coming to the actual ceremony part and taking half a dozen photos and then he's gone. We will pick the ones we want printed. (Probably only 1 or 2, how many wedding photos do you want??). Doesn't necessarily have to be a proper 'Wedding Photographer'.. just a guy with a decent camera and some idea of how to use it... and bring the memory stick to a digital printing booth.

At the reception, I'm providing the food and maybe one drink for a toast and that's it. I'm going to be leaning on the Pub owner to do me a good deal also. For example no venue fee .. and maybe even a few bottles of plonk for the toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

fits wrote: »
    How much do people spend on the cake?

Zilch. My cakes were traditional Bajan black cake and a chocolate cake which were gifts from my father.

Photgrapher is coming to the actual ceremony part and taking half a dozen photos and then he's gone. We will pick the ones we want printed. (Probably only 1 or 2, how many wedding photos do you want??). Doesn't necessarily have to be a proper 'Wedding Photographer'.. just a guy with a decent camera and some idea of how to use it... and bring the memory stick to a digital printing booth.

At the reception, I'm providing the food and maybe one drink for a toast and that's it. I'm going to be leaning on the Pub owner to do me a good deal also. For example no venue fee .. and maybe even a few bottles of plonk for the toast.

Ok, but have you looked into either of these cost wise?

I would skimp on a lot of things, but not a photographer and food. After the day is over the only things you'll keep are the rings and the photos, and the only things people remember are the food and entertainment. We had a talented family member with a good camera take photos of our day, but even though they are fine they do not compare to a professional wedding photographer. Wedding photography is quite specialized. You need someone who's able to corral everyone in for a group shot, who knows where the good spots are to capture some couple photos and who takes some candid shots. We have our photos on the walls and in frames and we see them everyday. Well worth spending a bit of time and money on. I looked at the cheap options and they were cheap for a reason. Professional photography isn't about a guy with a memory stick. The quality of our professional prints is miles ahead of the ones we got from a photo booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Most definitely don't skimp on the photos or rings (video if you're having one, we did and I'm so delighted. Even just to hear the ceremony back, hear the laughter in the house in the morning etc).
    Our wedding day was the bank holiday in August just past. It lashed for 4 solid days. The photos our photographer got were amazing, off camera flashes and stuff made them look magical. If we just stuck with 'a guy with a decent camera' we never would have ventured outside and they would have been a washed out, dark mess. What our photographer (Mark McGuire Photography) got was breathtaking.We paid over 2K for him and a second shooter but we got an engagement shoot( with a big framed print to use as a signing board at the wedding),photo booth (with a professional backdrop and photographer taking the photos),the 2 photographers for the day and a fab album. We have over 800 photos, completely ours, we are tying to whittle them down to 70 for the album, it is next to impossible because there are so many brilliant ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I'm a wedding photographer and ive picked up a few savvy saving tips from my brides, i'd be happy to share with you.
    1) local sale pages for pre-owned gowns or Barnados as someone mentioned above
    2) Many people bake wedding cakes in their spare time, you may be lucky enough to get one cheaper if you ask around on local facebook sale pages
    3)DIY as much as you can
    4)Don't be afraid to haggle, the worst they can say is no, no big deal you just keep looking, wedding planning is meant to be fun :)
    4)Track down a copy of "How to have a champagne wedding, on a bucks fizz budget" plenty of ideas and tips in there.
    6) I'm probably biased here as i'm a photographer myself but NEVER scrimp on wedding photography, you will regret it. The day goes by so quickly you will want the fond memories captured to look back on in years to come. Also make sure you meet your photographer and that they are insured.

Best of luck with all the planning, try not to be disheartened by the cost, it can be done on a lower budget if you really get stuck in and shop around.

ps REMEMBER ITS MEANT TO BE FUN - ENJOY X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

All my wedding pics were taken by friends and family using normal cameras, granted it was as polished posing wise as a professional would have been but the pics are grand. I don't think its essential to spend a lot on a photographer, you can still have a lovely reminder of your day without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you've got 2 grand and want to spend it on white doves (cos that's your thing) then great- go for it... If you haven't got the dosh for a 25 grand wedding ,cut back ,prioritise , save or what ever ! Just don't be amazed that 25 grand worth of wedding costs ..... 25 grand ...
    On the rings , I wanted a silver colour ,plain ... I was being sold platinum , white gold ect. One small local jeweler got me to try a silver one on, 30 euro later the ring was bought... And it means as much to me as if it cost 300 or 3000 euro...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Any word from the OP?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Probably gone off to the infamous wedding site to talk about printed loo paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

why did none of us think to send her to Bridesmaidgate? She'd get loads of money saving tips there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Markcheese wrote: »
    If you've got 2 grand and want to spend it on white doves (cos that's your thing) then great- go for it... If you haven't got the dosh for a 25 grand wedding ,cut back ,prioritise , save or what ever ! Just don't be amazed that 25 grand worth of wedding costs ..... 25 grand ...

This is what it comes down to - Irish people do not want to be seen to be spending less on a wedding than usual. They often want to spend less, but get the same amount, rather than go with a different format.

I think that may change though as an awful lot of people are fed up of the whole wedding carry on. I've heard anecdotally of a big upturn in refusal of wedding invitiations. Though that may be due to the upsurge in midweek weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yeah, I got married in the registry office which was 50 euros back then, dress was just under 100, his suit was about 250, we didn't have flowers, cake, cars, photographer or rings, I got the bridesmaids dresses second hand for 100 all in, we had the reception at home so I hired caterers, not sure what they cost but it was less than 400. I didn't have much money at the time and we didn't want to borrow so I had to work within my budget as best I could.

Wow, I'm amazed that you could do it for so little .......... fair play to you!!

Not sure about having no rings though ......... how many bridesmaids/groomsmen did you have?
    And what kind of honeymoon did you have to stay within that budget??

Heres a sample and optimistic budget. you get to 15k very quickly

100 guests x 60 euro a head 6000
    Ceremony 600
    Ceremony music 600
    Rings 2000
    Dress 1000
    Shoes 200
    Suit 500
    Band/dj 1800
    Salon appointments 200
    Hotel rooms 500
    Transport (may not be necessary) 300
    Photographer 1500
    Videographer?
    Bridesmaids/groomsman attire ?
    Gifts for parents, bridal party?
    Invitations?
    Gratuities 200
    Flowers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I have to say I've been to quite a few weddings (both here at home and abroad) and there is no better party in the world than a full-on full-budget Irish Wedding ........ budget tight weddings are fine (and sometimes people have no choice in the matter) but it does show and it's never as good (for either the guests or the couple) as a proper full-on big family and friends wedding no matter what anybody says .......... you really do get what you pay for in my opinion/experience.

We spent a fortune on our wedding and I would do it all again if I could, worth every cent!!

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm amazed that you could do it for so little .......... fair play to you!!

Not sure about having no rings though ......... how many bridesmaids/groomsmen did you have?
    And what kind of honeymoon did you have to stay within that budget??

Neither of us wear rings so they were no loss, married 6 years now and don't miss them. I had two bridesmaids and he had two groomsmen, it was a very casual affair so the guys just wore their own suits the same shade as himself. The honeymoon was heavily discounted, I worked in the travel industry at the time so saved about 80% of the cost. If I'd have to pay full whack we would have just married on our own and put our entire budget onto the honeymoon.

I love parties and I have to say I love big weddings but its easy as a guest. As the bride I hate the idea of being the centre of attention, a huge number of people would have overwhelmed me so we kept it to very close family and friends only. My wedding was small, just 25 people including us, but it was the people in the world I am closest to and anyone on top of that would have been just making up numbers. I don't agree bigger is better and that anyone who goes smaller will feel its second best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

It's really "horses for courses"... Some will love the huuuuuge country faire of 300 people, while others will just want a handful.
    The important thing is to do what you want for your wedding and the best you can within your budget... We had 110 or so, it was a good number because I remember every single person that was there. At over 200 I doubt that would've been the case, I would've been ok with less though, maybe 70... In retrospect we would've loved to have invited another 6 people or so that we didn't and we regretted it. I also wish we didn't bother with one set of OH's neighbours, but that's just me, OH would probably have them and another few... Was at a wedding recently, it felt really small and intimate, thought there were 60-70 guests, turned out there were 120 there.
    We paid for a mediocre videographer. It's kinda nice to have a video to look back at in years to come, but you can tell the quality from the price. Wish we'd just spent the extra 300 and hired someone decent.
    If all you need is a couple of decent shots, who's to say you need to fork out a grand and have hundreds of photos if that's not what you want! However, people who'll complain about the cost of weddings haven't added things one by one to see how easy it is to spend the "Irish traditional wedding budget".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

jimmii wrote: »
    . As soon as we mentioned we only wanted 20 people places were just like sorry not interested even if I suggested we pay the 60 person minimum they still didn't want it for some reason!

They want your deposit and they want the bar sales too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We were only chatting between friends the other night and it does seem like things are going backwards. As with everything it all turns and ends up doubling back on itself.

It seemed when boom times hit and people were like holy crap I have lots of money I am going to spend it on this on that and weddings went suoosh out of control!! Everyone had to be better than the last one, there was canapés on arrival with plenty of champers, hired in Irish Dancers to entertain guests through the night, the best of the best of hotels... Huge flowers and fancy cars..

Before It was just the basic's head to the church with a few good friends and then back to the local pub or hotel maybe for a shin gig or back to the family home.. Some frills and things but it was all more about family and friends and who you wanted there rather than this whole showbiz style days... The band, one chap who played at weddings said like you would have non or all this strobe lighting and six tower high sounds machines.. That all the band members would just have a laugh and that the crowd were always invited up to sing a song or two and again one of them was always a friend of the couples non of this lets blast you off the dance floor shenanigans.

Think the hotels and churches and everything just copped onto how much people were willing to pay, like everyone they took advantage, which is grand it is in everyones nature to thrive...

Reading through a few magazines I got lately and again tis all pointing back to going back to basics

I think there is definitely a trend for smaller numbers anyway. Know a few couples who have had large weddings, and they are just not as enjoyable. That said with our number limits, we wont be able to invite some people we want to ��

Do you just knock of some of the extended family then :)

It is a pain trying to figure out who to invite and who to not. Maybe you could try this whole thing of sending the invites out in waves, send them first to the people you really want to go or the ones you know are going to go, try and keep them in groups (I know this sounds mean but if you have a big family I would think is pretty handy) then see who says Yeah and who says Ne and then at least you know you could invite this and that person..

Half thinking of opting for the whole ohhh I picked the family names out of a hat and that's who got an invite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Op is here (to whomever asked...)... been watching... and contemplating...

A lot of the posts here read as 'yes its mad' or 'if you cant afford it dont' or 'we (as a vendor) have to make money too!'. It just reads as class warfare :/ To whoever said we arent in a recession, say that again when you get your first water bill on top of the rising cost of electricity, gas, household charge, and of course this lovely 20% mortgage theyre bringing in.

The surprising thing is, based on looking through the historical prices of venues, before the boom they were normal enough; 30-40 pound a head was big money in the big places. Then it jumped hugely. Then the 2007 recession hit and they didnt up them, but I have not seen anywhere that dropped them (at least not significantly...). But now they are going up again. Is it any wonder that so many places are being foreclosed on or are up for sale (Markree Castle, Village at Lyons, Powerscourt).

Ive been to 20 venues now, so ive seen a lot of what Ireland has to offer. Thats omitting the top places like Powerscourt, Shelbourne, etc because of course theyll be over the top. The worst Ive seen is Ashford castle, which now has a 26000/40000 rental fee in the low/high season (which includes all bedrooms and breakfast...) but nothing for dinner/drink/canapes which is 110 a head, plus another 2500 for room rental. Granted, thats the top ive found, but I thought that was out of this world. Who are these people that pay it?! And how many weddings do they even have a year at these prices?!

Most of the places that people have mentioned in this thread... Ive seen. And they were not good. Basic things, like dirty linen (on the days of weddings no less!), paint coming off walls/roofs, frayed carpets and worn out looking venues were just some of the things we noticed in these lesser places. Of course this would be a small investment on their part and would make the difference but if the hotels/venues cant even afford to fix up the places, then how do they expect people to pay these whopper packages for substandard services?!

The venues does gripe me. But so do other things; the cost of the photographer, often about 2k to 3k for a days work and a weeks worth of formating/editting and printing in a day where everything is digital, bands that charge 2k to 3k for a few hours work (and im a musician of 10 years, finding out these prices was mindblowing. Say whatever you want about having to learn songs, you play music cause you enjoy it and sure you make money, but thats just greedy I find, and we as the punters should consider ourselves foolish), cakes that cost 500-800 quid a pop for ingredients that cost 50 euros at most. We're already costing those parts out ourselves to keep price down with several friends who are photographers collaborating, several musician friends playing for free, and we're considering making the cake ourselves (she can bake. Thank god.), but I feel Im lucky to know these people where as others our generation wont have that luck.

Getting back to it... I feel that people in the wedding industry take advantage, as most people have said (bar a few that I would think are vendors themselves...) if you said its a party its probably about 2/3's of the price to saying 'wedding'.

The above poster here says that its the mentality that came along with the Celtic Tiger. This is what I meant about the 'generation above us', the ones that have had the jobs for 20 years, that got the houses for 1/3 of the price they are now, that were able to support a family of 4 on one income alone. Gone are those days, and its their fault, yet its this generation that is left with the burdens, in the housing market, in the jobs markets, in the wedding market. To doubt that is foolish. The idea of this all inclusive wedding is put upon our generation, or at least, we cant get the wedding we want because everywhere is expecting to make fistfuls of money. The thing is, I wouldnt mind paying 100 a head, but its the minimum numbers that kill. I dont want to invite 100 people and it feels like Id be inviting people I dont want. Im getting this from most venues or otherwise we're pressured into weekday weddings which of course we cant do because of the chapel (note; the chapel is the non changer). We're considering moving to a winter wedding simply due to the costs. But I feel like everyone is going to be moving that way soon cause this generation wants to get a house at some stage, and its the wedding that will suffer. I hope that vendors are ready for this cause Id say it'll mean a drop in bookings and, based on what we've all seen in the last few years, stubbornness against any kind of change will affect them and ultimately cost the properties... which then will get bought by property investors!

Our poor country :(

Well said, and tis all true unfortunately. I do understand you pay for higher archery things and all that goes but it does look more like places were getting away with charging way overhead for weddings just because as you say it is a wedding!! The minute the word comes out of your month you talking 1,000's. A dress maker said that before never tell a dress maker what you want the dress for just say it is a dress because the minute you say weddings, bridesmaid, ball gown they will charge based on that idea..

The best thing to do though is sod it, it does seem like this generation is getting a lot of stick and have to pick up the pieces from foolish mistakes others mad but don't dwell on it... Just carry on and concentrate more on how ye can do what ye want..

Most defiantly make your own cake much cheaper or even with Christmas coming up just get Nan (only saying that now cus everyones nan makes the best fruit cake) ask someone to make one and then just decorate it yerselfs, it last forever and no one takes that much notice of the cake..

• Advertisement

The 20% deposit for mortgages is definitely going to have a major effect on wedding spends. We probably would have eloped if that had come in before we booked ours.

OP what size wedding do you want and we could suggest venues?

Also what did you think you would be quoted at Ashford castle. Lol!!!! Last time I went there they wouldn't even let me in. Millionaires only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

xpletiv wrote: »
    Ive been to 20 venues now, so ive seen a lot of what Ireland has to offer. Thats omitting the top places like Powerscourt, Shelbourne, etc because of course theyll be over the top. The worst Ive seen is Ashford castle, which now has a 26000/40000 rental fee in the low/high season (which includes all bedrooms and breakfast...) but nothing for dinner/drink/canapes which is 110 a head, plus another 2500 for room rental. Granted, thats the top ive found, but I thought that was out of this world. Who are these people that pay it?! And how many weddings do they even have a year at these prices?!

Why are you going to view Ashford Castle when you are on a budget? You know thats a 5 star hotel right?

Your post is silly. You are not going to be able to hire a venue like that cheaply, it has nothing to do with Ireland. You need to adjust your expectations back to reality. Try pricing hiring a 5 star hotel in London for your wedding for comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

drumswan wrote: »
    Why are you going to view Ashford Castle when you are on a budget? You know thats a 5 star hotel right?

Your post is silly. You are not going to be able to hire a venue like that cheaply, it has nothing to do with Ireland. You need to adjust your expectations back to reality. Try pricing hiring a 5 star hotel in London for your wedding for comparison.

I agree, loads of people have said they have gotten married on very small budgets and provided great ideas but you seem to be focused on having somewhere fancy but not willing to pay for it?

Op is here (to whomever asked...)... been watching... and contemplating...

A lot of the posts here read as 'yes its mad' or 'if you cant afford it dont' or 'we (as a vendor) have to make money too!'. It just reads as class warfare :/ To whoever said we arent in a recession, say that again when you get your first water bill on top of the rising cost of electricity, gas, household charge, and of course this lovely 20% mortgage theyre bringing in.

The surprising thing is, based on looking through the historical prices of venues, before the boom they were normal enough; 30-40 pound a head was big money in the big places. Then it jumped hugely. Then the 2007 recession hit and they didnt up them, but I have not seen anywhere that dropped them (at least not significantly...). But now they are going up again. Is it any wonder that so many places are being foreclosed on or are up for sale (Markree Castle, Village at Lyons, Powerscourt).

Most of the places that people have mentioned in this thread... Ive seen. And they were not good. Basic things, like dirty linen (on the days of weddings no less!), paint coming off walls/roofs, frayed carpets and worn out looking venues were just some of the things we noticed in these lesser places. Of course this would be a small investment on their part and would make the difference but if the hotels/venues cant even afford to fix up the places, then how do they expect people to pay these whopper packages for substandard services?!

The venues does gripe me. But so do other things; the cost of the photographer, often about 2k to 3k for a days work and a weeks worth of formating/editting and printing in a day where everything is digital, bands that charge 2k to 3k for a few hours work (and im a musician of 10 years, finding out these prices was mindblowing. Say whatever you want about having to learn songs, you play music cause you enjoy it and sure you make money, but thats just greedy I find, and we as the punters should consider ourselves foolish), cakes that cost 500-800 quid a pop for ingredients that cost 50 euros at most. We're already costing those parts out ourselves to keep price down with several friends who are photographers collaborating, several musician friends playing for free, and we're considering making the cake ourselves (she can bake. Thank god.), but I feel Im lucky to know these people where as others our generation wont have that luck.

Getting back to it... I feel that people in the wedding industry take advantage, as most people have said (bar a few that I would think are vendors themselves...) if you said its a party its probably about 2/3's of the price to saying 'wedding'.

The above poster here says that its the mentality that came along with the Celtic Tiger. This is what I meant about the 'generation above us', the ones that have had the jobs for 20 years, that got the houses for 1/3 of the price they are now, that were able to support a family of 4 on one income alone. Gone are those days, and its their fault, yet its this generation that is left with the burdens, in the housing market, in the jobs markets, in the wedding market. To doubt that is foolish. The idea of this all inclusive wedding is put upon our generation, or at least, we cant get the wedding we want because everywhere is expecting to make fistfuls of money. The thing is, I wouldnt mind paying 100 a head, but its the minimum numbers that kill. I dont want to invite 100 people and it feels like Id be inviting people I dont want. Im getting this from most venues or otherwise we're pressured into weekday weddings which of course we cant do because of the chapel (note; the chapel is the non changer). We're considering moving to a winter wedding simply due to the costs. But I feel like everyone is going to be moving that way soon cause this generation wants to get a house at some stage, and its the wedding that will suffer. I hope that vendors are ready for this cause Id say it'll mean a drop in bookings and, based on what we've all seen in the last few years, stubbornness against any kind of change will affect them and ultimately cost the properties... which then will get bought by property investors!

Our poor country :(

The prices you quote are expensive but you don't have to have them. The cake, band etc aren't compulsory. You can leave them out altogether or go for a budget option. You've been given plenty of options but still seem to have your sights set on bigger. Remember that you're getting married, its not really all about the bling. You can have just as great a day without spending that kind of money. Having a big wedding isn't an entitlement, plenty of people have had to cut corners to make it suit their budget. I wouldn't be blaming those lucky enough to have been able to splash the cash during the boom years for your wedding woes.

Just a quite one re ashford castle cause for some reason thats the only part people have taken out of my post... curiosity as someone told me to try them without mentioning the millionaire thing. Getting that price back was astounding. We didnt view it.

• Advertisement

Just a quite one re ashford castle cause for some reason thats the only part people have taken out of my post... curiosity as someone told me to try them without mentioning the millionaire thing. Getting that price back was astounding. We didnt view it.

But Ashford castle would be known as a very expensive venue. Which some, not all, can afford and obviously does the business. I remember on one wedding dress show an American bride was getting married there. The budget for her dress was five figures, and then she decided to buy a second dress for her reception. That doesn't mean I would aim for that as a realistic budget for myself, I knew I had X to spend so I didn't bother comparing my budget to dresses that were far out of my league. Same with the ring, I saw rings five times more expensive than what I was happy to have my now husband spend, but I didn't bother asking about them because there was no point. Do you want to plan a wedding on a budget or have a rant about the cost of venues that were never an option for you in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

LOL. OP, you seem to want a lavish 5 star venue and pay 3 star price. Why on earth did you even enquire at Ashford when you are on such a low budget?! It's just silly - it's like going to a garage and asking a quote for a top of the range 7-series bmw when you can only afford a small hatchback.

You also mention the likes of Village at Lyons - another top venue and at the top end of the market. They are still having lots of bookings there and they can quote those prices because people pay them. This whole thing of I thought we were in a recession, why aren't prices cheap - yes we are coming out of a recession but there are still people with a lot of money around the place. Not everybody is strapped for cash so venues can still charge high prices. You need to lower your expectations if you can't afford it.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

But the clue is in the name, no? Its a castle.

I do get what you are saying about prices versus quality, but if people vote with their feet and your wallet and venues and vendors will reduce their prices.

I find it hard to believe that if you supplied a service that costs you €100 in labour and materials, and that people were throwing money at you to the extent you could charge €1,000 or more and still have to turn custom away, that you wouldnt maximise your profit margin and only charge €200 out of the goodness of your heart because there is a recession on.

You seem to want the champage wedding at beer prices. We would all love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I could take that post to pieces, but let me just go with the cake and photos, as I've made plenty of cakes, and I do some photography (neither to a professional standard).

Cake, ingredients you say are 50 quid? Not even close, for a cake that feeds 100 people. Try doubling it or more. Do you think they all mix themselves together than come out perfectly as a cake? You are paying for people's Time, Equipment and Expertise. A professional baker will have spent a fortune on equipment.. from industrial grade ovens, to decorating equipment. They will also have years of training behind them. Making and decorating a wedding cake, even a simple one, takes several days of work. Baking it perfectly, creating tiny detailed sugar flowers, getting smooth finish on the icing, assembling it all, transporting it. Why should they do all that work for the cost of the ingredients?

Photographers, similar. 20k of equipment, years of training and practice. "It's all digital" doesn't make it any easier! Professional editing takes hours and hours of painstaking work. Weeks you've said yourself. How much do you get paid per hour? 10 euro an hour would be pretty low for a professional anything. Two weeks of editing would cost 800 euro at that wage. They usually have an assistant on the day, and have the right training to be able to position people, adjust the camera settings for the light on the day (a massive variable in ireland!), choose the right lenses etc. And they get it right, without blurring out people, without having massive shadows on faces, or lens flare from a beam of sunlight... keeping the data intact and safe, cropping and editing them into something coherent at the end of the process. This isn't a product photoshoot, or a magazine, where you have all day to reposition and adjust light sources. It's very bloody hard work, and you only get one shot at most of it.

You don't need to have a cake, you don't need photographs. But if you want them, then they need to be paid for their time, equipment and expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

The ashford castle example is a prime example of whats wrong your perspective. there will always be people who can afford the more expensive things in life. And if theres a market for something, you can be damn sure someone is going to provide that market and price it accordingly. If I want to spend a million quid on my wedding, but the type of place that does weddings for that price only has 10 weddings a year, they need to price accordingly so they can be open for those 10 weddings. You need to stop questioning that. Its like a michelin * restaraunt that only has 25 seats. they wouldn't survive doing steak on a stone deals for 15 euro, itll be caviar and foie gras starters for 30e instead. but they damn well better deliver a meal worthy of the price, they wont survive long otherwise.

When viewing vendors posts on here, try and separate the advice-type posts (lot of good guys from all areas post great advice on here) from the "vested interest" posts (limited post count combined with a "see my site for details"). both types are in here.

If you want to stick an ipod on in the corner to make 100 people dance for 4 hours, you go ahead and do that. Ive seen it work on limited occassions, but more often than not Ive seen it fail miserably, Im not saying that because I want your business, Im saying it because its true. Will they be doing the conga round the gardens at 2am as the DJ has controlled the party up to that point? maybe not, but a good DJ/band can make your crowd do that. But if you dont have budget, then use your laptop, no problem. Do some bands charge 2k plus? yes. but most dont.

if someone says they got their mate to take the photos and that they were fine/great than thats ok, but I guarantee you they havent seen a pro guys shots where you will literally go "HOLY SH*T LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE" as people who come into your house for years stare at the quality/pose/colour/clarity/contrast. But you pay a premium for that. but as budgets only go so far, "my mate done photos and they were fine" is ok if you dont have the budget. no problem. do some photographers charge 1.5k plus, yes, but most dont.

Ive seen professional cakes where your jaw would drop and youd stand in amazement for minutes looking at it and talk about it for months on end "you want to have seen this cake at a wedding I was at", and you dont see these cakes on tv. theyre much nicer than that. you pay a premium for that though. do you have the budget for that premium? no? get your auntie to make it, its not a problem. do some cake makers charge into the thousands, yea, but most dont.

Having said all that, I agree with you on some things. Ive seen 100e/head venues where I think theres 40-50e/head places that are way nicer that I might have been in the night before. but someone is paying the 100e. the venue wouldnt be there otherwise. Thats life and applies to all markets and all services. someone will pay the higher price without asking are they getting value for money. When everyone asks the question, then the real price of things comes out. will never happen though. Everyone do your homework on everything youre paying for, ask it worth it, if you dont think so, dont pay it. But you dont get to complain about it, youre setting your expectations out of line with your budget otherwise.

Just seen this in todays indo,
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/four-irish-hotels-named-among-europes-top-10-resorts-30683044.html

ashford castle, the number 2 resort/venue in Europe.

Just seen this in todays indo,
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/four-irish-hotels-named-among-europes-top-10-resorts-30683044.html

ashford castle, the number 2 resort/venue in Europe.

There you go. They aren't after the €100 and under Irish wedding business. A venue like that competes on an international basis for events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

This is reminding me of most episodes of Don't Tell the Bride, where the bride knows they have 10 grand budget (which is free for the couple!!) but is out looking at country estate venues, picks 6 bridesmaids and tries on a designer dress of her dreams and then cries that she can't have it all!

Well clearly the last few posters havent actually read my post and jumped on the mention of a venue. When i enquired i hadnt heard of it but someone said it was lovely. Fair enough if they are playing on the international stage and I found since that its total luxury and way past my budget; but are all the places supposed to be for the ultra rich and famous?

My point is; 90% of the places here are still charging Celtic Tiger prices. Theres an expectation placed on Irish weddings that costs a bomb, and venues take advantage of that. I know i wont be because my budget wont allow it, but the expectation of venues to make at least 20k on a night, is shameful, and greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My point is; 90% of the places here are still charging Celtic Tiger prices. Theres an expectation placed on Irish weddings that costs a bomb, and venues take advantage of that. I know i wont be because my budget wont allow it, but the expectation of venues to make at least 20k on a night, is shameful, and greedy.

If people weren't paying that money the venues wouldn't be charging it though. It's not shameful and greedy, it's economics.

• Advertisement

Well then we as punters are morons.

/thread.

Our venue was 8K total for 104 guests and on site ceremony. 4 course meal etc etc. I only came across two venues charging €100 a head when we were looking. One was Clonabreany and then Ballmagarvey (who didn't even bother replying to my enquiry so we discounted that straight off). Most were around the €50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Don't you get most of it back in the form of cash in cards and presents anyway? Never been to a wedding but know what most people I'm friends with that have gone all gave €200+ in their cards.

Well clearly the last few posters havent actually read my post and jumped on the mention of a venue. When i enquired i hadnt heard of it but someone said it was lovely. Fair enough if they are playing on the international stage and I found since that its total luxury and way past my budget; but are all the places supposed to be for the ultra rich and famous?

Clearly they manage to get business at those prices so that's just the way it goes. The expectation re weddings is solely on the brides and grooms themselves who feel they have to have a day that fits a certain model. You'll find something that suits your budget and you'll be able to make it as special as you want it. Its not the venue that makes the day what it is, its the people, the atmosphere. Don't get disheartened.

Not even close!! Times have changed. A lot of the cash we received had the exact 'meal amount' in them. It total we got about €7K in cash gifts and spent over €20K.
    Then again they do say that when you invite more you'll get more but we just wanted people that we loved and vice versa, even though some expected that we invite the whole town.

Well then we as punters are morons.

/thread.

Id agree with you about anyone who doesn't do their homework and get value for money on any service, wedding or otherwise.

but anyone who's looking at international venues with 50k hiring fee with a budget for their local bar, might be out of their depth a little with the subject matter.

Jes this thread could last for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Milly33 wrote: »
    Do you just knock of some of the extended family then :)

It is a pain trying to figure out who to invite and who to not. Maybe you could try this whole thing of sending the invites out in waves, send them first to the people you really want to go or the ones you know are going to go, try and keep them in groups (I know this sounds mean but if you have a big family I would think is pretty handy) then see who says Yeah and who says Ne and then at least you know you could invite this and that person..

Probably not a good way to go unless you want to be remembered as trashy for the rest of your days
    :pac:

Cant see how that would be trashy, trashy would be walking up the aisle after sleeping with the best man mins before the wedding in a see through skimpy dress... Figuring out who to invite and ways to do it is far from trashy

• Advertisement

First round and second round invites just pi$$ people off and would be seen as trashy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement