Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios8.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone having issues with Continuity on 8.1? I notice when I've got Safari fired up on the iPad I can see the Safari icon on the bottom left of my phone screen. Once I close the iPad cover though the icon disappears from the iPHone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Continuity on 8.1? I notice when I've got Safari fired up on the iPad I can see the Safari icon on the bottom left of my phone screen. Once I close the iPad cover though the icon disappears from the iPHone.

I think that’s how Handoff is supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

All the pics are there and up to date in my photo app but when I go to upload a pic online, not just facebook, the last few days of pics are all missing..

Has anyone tested the Bluetooth to see if those issues have been sorted?

I have the same problem! For facebook, they do show up if you go to the actual website through a web browsing app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

EmmetOT wrote: »
    I have the same problem! For facebook, they do show up if you go to the actual website through a web browsing app.

yea seems to be grand through safari but trying to upload a pic through an app - none of the up-to-date pics are showing.

I think that’s how Handoff is supposed to work.

you sure? Not much use if I've to leave my iPad with the cover open just so I can access a website from my phone when out and about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

That's what iCloud Tabs is for. It displays all tabs that are open on other apple devices, and has been available for a while now. Continuity is mainly for situations where you actively move between devices that you are using.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, Handoff, as the name suggests, is about handing off something you are in the middle of doing on one device to another one. So you start writing an email on your iPhone, run up stairs and finish writing it on your Mac. It requires both devices to be in proximity, hence Bluetooth 4. Without the proximity requirement, it would be quite annoying as your iPhone would be promoting you about something you were doing on your Mac at home hours ago.

Handoff is just one of the features of Continuity. The others are SMS relay and phone calls. SMS relay works over iCloud but phone calls require devices to be on the same WiFi network.

Yup I get it but I should still be allowed just pick up after I've closed the cover of my iPad. I'd understand if the icon vanished when I moved out of range or off the local wifi network. Infact if I switch off my iPad the safari icon also disappears from the phone. I still feel there's a bug there.

squonk wrote: »
    Yup I get it but I should still be allowed just pick up after I've closed the cover of my iPad. I'd understand if the icon vanished when I moved out of range or off the local wifi network. Infact if I switch off my iPad the safari icon also disappears from the phone. I still feel there's a bug there.

I think the idea is that you click on the icon, handing over the task, then sleep the iPad. Handoff uses Bluetooth, not Wifi, which I assume turns off when you sleep the iPad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

EmmetOT wrote: »
    yea seems to be grand through safari but trying to upload a pic through an app - none of the up-to-date pics are showing.

Maybe delete FB and reinstall. I just checked it there on the FB App and all my most recent photos are selectable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

So annoyed 8.0.2 was working fine but shur 8.1 is the big one. Now no internet available on wifi or vodafone. (the vodafone signal is on four bars and the wifi indicator says full service) No mail, safari, twitter, messages... I was going to do a restore but it asks to disconnect the Find my iphone, but when I go to do that it can't verify as there is no internet connection. I thought it might verify through the mac mini it's plugged into but seems to only be from phone.

Do I just have to wait until 8.1.1 whenever the heck that might be?

Actually, I was trying to restore from my itunes but even if I try to do it from the phone I will still be stumped at the turn off find my iphone part, won't I?

Thanks for any help at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

So annoyed 8.0.2 was working fine but shur 8.1 is the big one. Now no internet available on wifi or vodafone. (the vodafone signal is on four bars and the wifi indicator says full service) No mail, safari, twitter, messages... I was going to do a restore but it asks to disconnect the Find my iphone, but when I go to do that it can't verify as there is no internet connection. I thought it might verify through the mac mini it's plugged into but seems to only be from phone.

Do I just have to wait until 8.1.1 whenever the heck that might be?

Actually, I was trying to restore from my itunes but even if I try to do it from the phone I will still be stumped at the turn off find my iphone part, won't I?

Thanks for any help at all.
    Have you tried a hard reset? If that doesn't work try reset network settings before you go and restore the phone.

brophs wrote: »
    Have you tried a hard reset? If that doesn't work try reset network settings before you go and restore the phone.

THat's the next step isn't it? i'll goggle it but is that when you hold the power button and home button for three seconds or soemthing? THose network settings, does it refer to my wifi/router network or my phone network vodafone. I have the pin for my phone and the code for my router but i don't want to wipe something that where I have to reenter a code or something and I've no idea what it is. Is the reset network thing fairly "safe' or a can of words? Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

I tried to update, now my iphone 6 just has a charger sign below a red itunes logo... anybody any ideas on how to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

alcof89 wrote: »
    I tried to update, now my iphone 6 just has a charger sign below a red itunes logo... anybody any ideas on how to fix it?

Plug it into iTunes on your laptop and it'll restore it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

THat's the next step isn't it? i'll goggle it but is that when you hold the power button and home button for three seconds or soemthing? THose network settings, does it refer to my wifi/router network or my phone network vodafone. I have the pin for my phone and the code for my router but i don't want to wipe something that where I have to reenter a code or something and I've no idea what it is. Is the reset network thing fairly "safe' or a can of words? Thanks for your reply.

The reset (hold both buttons) doesn't change/delete any settings on your phone, it's a bit like restarting a pc, usually clears a lot of faults.
    Reset network settings does what it says (both wifi and cellular) It wont ask you for cellular codes after either, but it does delete all stored wifi networks so you'll have to reconnect and enter wifi passwords.
    As adviced definitely do this before a restore (it much quicker and easier).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't really call this smooth based on usage on an iPad 2. It's a bit jittery, but somewhat inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can't really call this smooth based on usage on an iPad 2. It's a bit jittery, but somewhat inevitable.

Is it better than ios 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Really like that they brought back the Camera Roll. Hated that other thing that they had. Runs nice and smooth on my 5c. Yet to see what it's like on my iPad mini.

brophs wrote: »
    flyguy wrote: »
    The reset (hold both buttons) doesn't change/delete any settings on your phone, it's a bit like restarting a pc, usually clears a lot of faults.
    Reset network settings does what it says (both wifi and cellular) It wont ask you for cellular codes after either, but it does delete all stored wifi networks so you'll have to reconnect and enter wifi passwords.
    As adviced definitely do this before a restore (it much quicker and easier).

Sorted! the reset network settings fixed it! Cheers a million per cent. I was bloody miserable not being able to send and receive messages and use the internet! I was reaching for my phone to google something or other and oh yeah, my phone doenst' work. So happy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I'm in the middle of a reset & it's estimating a full restore in 54mins... Should've done the network settings first :O

I'm still on 7.1.2 here with my 5S, after I downgraded from 8.0 while I still could. Any reason why I shouldn't install 8.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm still on 7.1.2 here with my 5S, after I downgraded from 8.0 while I still could. Any reason why I shouldn't install 8.1?

No reason, never had no problems with 8 or 8.1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is it better than ios 8?

May have been unclear. I'm on a second gen device that I bought as refurb from Apple. Hmm, Safari's inclined to hang a bit now.

Really like that they brought back the Camera Roll. Hated that other thing that they had. Runs nice and smooth on my 5c. Yet to see what it's like on my iPad mini.

+1
    I actually complained to apple about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm on 8.1 but I only have the option to disable 4G, not 3G. I have terrible 3G coverage at home. I've done some research on it, and it seems like it may be carrier settings. I'm with Vodafone. Does anyone with Vodafone have the option to disable 3G as well as 4G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

iOS 8 is the most flawed iOS I have ever used so many bugs I am shocked that this was passed by Apple I really hope it is a once off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    I actually complained to apple about that.

kc what was the big diffence between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The temp one had the last 30 days or so only and then all older photos where in the moments tab. Preferred it that way. Left it less cluttered.

• Advertisement

You didn't have direct access to all your photos. They had no "camera roll" folder. So you only had recent photos and then you had to go into the moments tab and search in there.

Advertisement