Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the N/M11..... crisis point?

• 20-10-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭

We've heard that the M50 is now carrying traffic 1/3 above pre-crash peaks.

Logically the N11 is approaching that too.

Is there anything in the works from any agency of government to help this?

With carmageddon now stretching back to newtown/kilpeddar, has the N11 reached crisis point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Slowing the traffic down to 80 and 60 on the northbound/southbound N11 at Kilmacanogue is a joke. The filters there should be done properly to ensure that traffic can maintain at 100 all the way. That is a huge cause of a backlog and traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Car sharing, public transport (bus and train, and demanding a better service), home working, staggered work start times! Slow changes, but faster than building bigger roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A good while back DLR and Wicklow CoCo's had a plan for the M11/N11 between the M50/M11 junction and Kilmac. It involved some redesigned junctions, closing off some junctions (Herbert Rd.), a new link road and ramp metering.

See http://www.derekmitchell.ie/wp-content/up/07-139-039-M11-N11-Study-EOC-Mar-2010-Final-NRA-Approved1.pdf

No widening though as I don't think it's physically possible for many parts of the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DazMarz wrote: »
    Slowing the traffic down to 80 and 60 on the northbound/southbound N11 at Kilmacanogue is a joke. The filters there should be done properly to ensure that traffic can maintain at 100 all the way. That is a huge cause of a backlog and traffic.
    I would've thought the Bray South junction/ merge was the main cause of the slowdown myself, rather than Kilmac.

There's probably a case to be made for a 2nd overtaking lane, or an auxillary lane, from Bray South to the merge (in both directions), but it would require proper enforcement of lane discipline to have a real effect. And for south bound, something would have to be done about the Bray South exit as that tails back, and finally sort out Kilmac so the kamikaze's that insist on forcing their way out of the petrol station have to go to the junction.

There must also be some scope for a park and ride somewhere (or at all junctions) between Ashford and Kilmac to link in with either Dublin Bus or BE or Private Bus operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was under the impression its the speed limit at the dip at Silverbridge that causes a concertina effect resulting in stop start a few miles back. Its a well known traffic phenomena. http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/0af79271-cfb4-1215-041a6f3459ddcdfb/

I don't think its the merging causing the concertina because the traffic starts moving as you start the climb from silverbridge long before the Bray South Merge. In my experience anyway, although its not part of a daily commute for me.

Related to Silverbridge but not the daily concertina effect jams on the N11 but does anyone remember THIS night on the M50/N11 :D Was stuck in Shankill for 4 hours that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

From what I can tell (commute it every day) its both, the speed limit dip and the bray south jn that cause the problems. You often get a mini speed up between the two. But both certainly cause delays and if you're unlucky they merge into a big long mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Calibos wrote: »
    I

Related to Silverbridge but not the daily concertina effect jams on the N11 but does anyone remember THIS night on the M50/N11 :D Was stuck in Shankill for 4 hours that night.

I ll never forget that night. Husbands phone went dead and I was up the walls I thought he was in a ditch. After 11 by the time he got home.

does anyone remember THIS night on the M50/N11 :D Was stuck in Shankill for 4 hours that night.

Working in shankill & living in Wicklow at the time.
    I drove through rathmichael, across old conna, up to enniskerry and back down at rocky valley, no jam the other side of kilmac!!
    Home about 20 minutes later than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Cerco

I don't think that will ever be repeated. I am sure the Council learned lessons from that fiasco. Anyway now we have Uisce Eireann so I expect they would be more efficient. :D:):P

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

bubblypop wrote: »
    Working in shankill & living in Wicklow at the time.
    I drove through rathmichael, across old conna, up to enniskerry and back down at rocky valley, no jam the other side of kilmac!!
    Home about 20 minutes later than usual.

Exactly what I would have done

• Advertisement
Advertisement