Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person came into my place landlord has no idea who

Options
  • 20-10-2014 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

I just got out of bed and went for a shower on Friday mooring got a knock on the front door didn't pay attation to it as i was in the shower at this time.

So about 2 mins later the front door opened and some one walked in my place and then closed the door to the bathroom fully and then walked around for a bit and walked back out while i was standing in the shower going what is going on here.

So i called my landlord this mooring to see if the housemates called them to get the washing machine fixed and could it be the repair man. Found out there was post to be no one at all post to be in my place on friday and there shocked by it as well.

Like i am a lad myself and was a bit freaked out but if it was one of the girls it would have been a lot worse.

I am in look there is CCTV right outside my door and there going to get it looked at for me.

But would i be wrong asking for a new lock to be put on the front of the place ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Well I'd wait to see what shows up on the CCTV first.

I assume nothing was taken? Why would someone come in and walk around without taking anything?

If it wasn't one of your housemates, are you sure they haven't given spare keys to partners etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Would ya not lock your doors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I just got out of bed and went for a shower on Friday mooring got a knock on the front door didn't pay attation to it as i was in the shower at this time.

So about 2 mins later the front door opened and some one walked in my place and then closed the door to the bathroom fully and then walked around for a bit and walked back out while i was standing in the shower going what is going on here.

So i called my landlord this mooring to see if the housemates called them to get the washing machine fixed and could it be the repair man. Found out there was post to be no one at all post to be in my place on friday and there shocked by it as well.

Like i am a lad myself and was a bit freaked out but if it was one of the girls it would have been a lot worse.

I am in look there is CCTV right outside my door and there going to get it looked at for me.

But would i be wrong asking for a new lock to be put on the front of the place ?.
    Maybe the Landlord is selling the place but does not want to tell you as you might refuse viewings so they just say nothing and walk in whenever they want? or maybe the Landlord is planning evicting you and has an agent showing new tenants around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Sorry to hear about this, must have been quite startling.

You are well within your rights in my opinion to ask for a lock change at the landlord's cost. The landlord may be blameless in this, in that they may not have knowingly given access to or allowed access to the property, but ultimately you as a tenant are entitled to peaceable and secure occupation of the property, and that can't happen with spare keys to the property knocking around in god knows whose hands. The landlord should be happy to pay for a lock change if that resolves this to your satisfaction.

By the way, any more unwanted visitors and you should call the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Could it have been the post man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Gmol wrote: »
    Could it have been the post man?

Does your post man come in to your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Put a chain on the front door, and keep it chained when you're home alone (your flatmates probably won't mind as long as you don't leave them standing there for ages). Do it neatly, and be ready to repair the holes left properly when you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I extramly confused by this as I was speaking to the landlord and I know for sure the place will never be sold and the front door was locked at the time as it allways is.

I was speaking to one of the girls who I live with and there in shock about who might have been in the place as where both deeply confused about it now.

Like if it was some one to fix something in the place they would have said is there anyone here when they walked in.

Just going to wait now and see what the CCTV comes up with but I will be calling into them tommarow for a update.

For spellings sorry have disllexa I can't see if that's the right spelling of such word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The washing machine repairman (or the postman) would hardly have a key anyway.

Former tenant looking for post? Both cheeky and creepy of them to open the door and march in if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

petes wrote: »
    Does your post man come in to your house?

Nope, he always rings twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thoie wrote: »
    Put a chain on the front door, and keep it chained when you're home alone (your flatmates probably won't mind as long as you don't leave them standing there for ages). Do it neatly, and be ready to repair the holes left properly when you leave.
    Pretty big assumption there, Id certainly find it a bit annoying to be left standing outside waiting for one of my flatmates to let me into my house every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thargor wrote: »
    Pretty big assumption there, Id certainly find it a bit annoying to be left standing outside waiting for one of my flatmates to let me into my house every single time.

If I knew I might be there on my own sometimes, I'd have no objection to someone else who was there on their own putting the chain on. In general you'd have a rough idea of when people are likely to come home Mon-Fri, and could make sure the chain was off then. Once a second person is home, you can leave the chain off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would put a new lock on straight away even just for peace of mind.

Could be a ex tenant looking to grab anything you just don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have any of your flatmates given a key to their partners? could it have been one of them? Is there any chance it could have been your landlords wife/partner checking up on the place (without the knowledge of the LL) ex tenant coming that still has a key coming in looking for post and just having a snoop while they were there? I think its strange that they came in and closed the bathroom door while you were in it. Also nothing was taken? All very weird!! Hope you get to see the cctv footage of who comes in! But you are well within your rights looking for locks to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Could be a ex tenant looking to grab anything you just don't know

Well then why didn't they grab anything when they were (supposedly) there?

I wouldn't go rushing into getting a new lock until the CCTV is reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well then why didn't they grab anything when they were (supposedly) there?

I wouldn't go rushing into getting a new lock until the CCTV is reviewed.

locks are not expensive and if I were a thief thinking house is empty and next thing notice somebody there I would make a quick exit also like what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

might be one for this thread

probably an ex tenant, chancing their arm, was there anythig worth taking? I would ask landlord for a mortice lock to be put on the door if there isn't one already and all housemates can get a key. Many landlords won't bother changing the front door lock so potentially one of tens of people may have made copies/kept their keys from previous tenancies.

Like as I said there was a knock on the door before they came in witch is strange. As the front door was locked I know for a fact. Also I think I even heard a key turning in the lock.

There is Notting worth while in the liveing areas. Just a Crap tv and the UPC box and that's about it.

The post box is miles away from me so can't be a post man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Regarding the knocking.. Thieves often knock a door before looking for a way in. If the shower wasnt running and it wasn't obvious somebody was home I'd highly suspect an ex tenant or some scumbag who managed to get a key to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like as I said there was a knock on the door before they came in witch is strange. As the front door was locked I know for a fact. Also I think I even heard a key turning in the lock.
    If you answered, they would've probably asked for directions. As there was no answer, they let themselves in. I'm guessing ex-tenant looking for something they left behind. Either way, unless you can ID the person, I'd get the lock changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking, you need the landlord's permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Victor wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, you need the landlord's permission.

Honestly what Landlord wouldn't be clamouring to get the locks changed themselves after hearing a report like this? Landlord should've been organizing the locks to be changed that very day in my view, for both their sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Did you find out who it was OP?

zefer wrote: »
    Did you find out who it was OP?

No i didn't Witch is even worse going to call into there office later and see what there going to say to me.

As the girls i live with are still very nerves being in the place when i am not there.

Some joke all the same from the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Something similar happened to me a few years back, I was in my room studying when I heard someone in the house. It turns out when the others had left earlier in the day they left the door on the latch, so some random guy was able to get in and have a bit of a look around before I copped on and he ran out of the place. Sh*t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

No i didn't Witch is even worse going to call into there office later and see what there going to say to me.

As the girls i live with are still very nerves being in the place when i am not there.

Better tell all the girls to sleep with you now until the locks are changed ......... just to be on the safe side :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

There is Notting worth while in the liveing areas. Just a Crap tv and the UPC box and that's about it.

The post box is miles away from me so can't be a post man.

The postman takes letters from the postbox, not deliver them to the postbox, Im sure your letter box is within the same building?

It may well be a bit of a joke but you've known about it for a few days, why are you waiting for the landlord to do something if they are delaying, or have you just reported it to them, by way of asking if it was them? if thats so, then they dont seem to think you are requesting new locks.
    As said, locks are cheap, get at least one replacement, for piece of mind.
    Technically you cant change locks, so either tell the landlord you need to do this and get his/her agreement or if they dont, insist the locks are changed, if there is no follow up, then get a lock, fit it, keep a key for the landlord, keep the old lock and upon leaving for good in the future, replace landlords lock and keep your own, you might be able to use it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If the LL needs access for some emergency (burst pipe etc) but can't because of the lock change. I wonder what happens then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

beauf wrote: »
    If the LL needs access for some emergency (burst pipe etc) but can't because of the lock change. I wonder what happens then.

Unless the request is formal and recordable (ie an email/letter) then it may as well have not happened. The Op said he asked the landlord if it was him, he's given the landlord an out as the landlord said no and now he or she probably thinks thats the end of it. Now any reasonable person would have changed the locks when new people move in, but Id say thats less commonly done.

In this circumstance the OP needs to get the landlords agreement and maybe do or get it done themselves if the landlord isnt going to get a move on, as its their stuff/security at stake. While it should be the landlord doing it, why wait, they can get them to agree over the phone to repay the lock amount, or if the OP is onto some good deal and doesnt want to upset the apple cart, they can just get the landlords agreement and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If theres a burst pipe you want a letter?

Advertisement