Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person came into my place landlord has no idea who

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

petes wrote: »
    Does your post man come in to your house?

my postman always rings twice:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

beauf wrote: »
    If theres a burst pipe you want a letter?

Hey hey Mr postman, I think the OP wants Mr Postman to come and have a look and see? He said something about the postman not delivering letters to his postbox, its miles away?
    The landlord cant be contacted as he was at a mooring, thats not a fixed abode, if thats the case he's probably adept at dealing with large volumes of water.

Tbh you wouldnt want to enter, unless you got specific instruction from the tenant, even if you told the landlord there was a biblical flood, but he'd have to wait for you to get home or bother to answer the phone, in the meantime, its ok, add ballast in the form of an extra tenant and some rubbish, that'll keep her afloat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Its not complicated.

How many sets of keys to your place? If there are say, 4 sets of keys, and none of the 4 know who it was, then it was unauthorized entry and should be reported to the guards.

Also the locks should be changed immediately or else I'm pretty sure that anything that happens until then is avoidable and not covered by insurance

OP, change the lock, give everyone a set of keys and leave the landlord a set outside the door, that way if anyone else comes along they wont have a set of keys to get in as theirs wont work.

Seriously, change the lock, inform the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

cerastes wrote: »
    OP, change the lock, give everyone a set of keys and leave the landlord a set outside the door, that way if anyone else comes along they wont have a set of keys to get in as theirs wont work.

Seriously, change the lock, inform the landlord

Unless they find the set you left outside

• Advertisement

Unless they find the set you left outside

Indeed. If this was after hours, Id probably comment more, but I think Ive said enough.
    Do let us know if you have anymore visitors OP or if you get the lock done, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Once a tenant occupies the property, a landlord is only
    allowed to enter the property with the tenant’s permission or
    in an emergency

Tenants might want to avoid getting charged for a new lock/ locksmith out of their deposit. (if the LL finds they have no key to new locks) Or any damage caused by the LL not being able to access the property in an emergency. So inform the LL and give them a key if appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

maybe it was post to be the post man!! or someone coming in to tell u that the word u were looking for is actually,SUPPOSED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

No i didn't Witch is even worse going to call into there office later and see what there going to say to me.

As the girls i live with are still very nerves being in the place when i am not there.

Some joke all the same from the landlord

Could it have been some kids in haloween costumes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

beauf wrote: »
    If the LL needs access for some emergency (burst pipe etc) but can't because of the lock change. I wonder what happens then.

How does he know there is a burst pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tigger wrote: »

Because he lets himself/herself in when you are sleeping;)

Just change locks op as said safer and will make you all feel a bit better.

LL as said has to request to enter or in emergency but sure sh1t happens.

Change lock or get a dog but I for 1 would not want to walk into a place with a few angry women....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Like as to get into my building where i live you need a keycode so they must have been a former person who lived in the building and in my place.

I am afard of the girls i live with if i leave the loo seat up they put a sticky note beside giving out and if its down i would get a sticky note LoL

I nearly have a sheet of paper in witch if i get 5 rainbows i am aloud to go out with my friends this week :P

doesn't really matter who or why. You have to ensure everyone in the houses security. So the locks will have to be changed. Make sure when everyone is in, or no one is due back you bolt the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Like as to get into my building where i live you need a keycode so they must have been a former person who lived in the building and in my place.

I am afard of the girls i live with if i leave the loo seat up they put a sticky note beside giving out and if its down i would get a sticky note LoL

I nearly have a sheet of paper in witch if i get 5 rainbows i am aloud to go out with my friends this week :P

Hard to know what to make of this...

Tigger wrote: »

Often water leaking into adjoining properties. During the severe cold a while back burst pipes especially over holidays was a big problem for tenants and LL. Especially if people where away.

Its just an general point about why a LL might need access. Its a secondary point to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would class my own safety as number 1 then anything else....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

gdavis wrote: »
    maybe it was post to be the post man!! or someone coming in to tell u that the word u were looking for is actually,SUPPOSED

That's rich coming from u when the word you're looking for is 'you'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Back on topic guys- and quit with the sniping at one another regarding spelling deficiencies etc. Take this as your one and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Contact landlord about changing locks -> change locks [/saga]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Any word back from the CCTV yet?

My money is on the landlord going in for a snoop around when they thought nobody was there and then denying it. Have often seen this. In their mind they are keeping an eye on their property for piece of mind. Also, if it was an intruder, then why didn't they take anything or spend more time looking for things like money etc?

Who runs the cctv? Would the landlord know them well? Could that be the reason why it is taking so long to carry out the straightforward procedure of looking at a video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

is it not obvious that it was the landlord having a quick look around? given the intruder had a key and the passcode? sure it could be an old tenant, but why would they do this and risk getting arrested? to pick up mail???

demand he changes the locks, at least he'll pay for the entry he shouldn't have done. if it was an intruder (which I doubt it was) then the locks need to be changed ASAP. I would say before the bank holiday weekend as a matter of urgency. isn't the intruder very likely to return over the bank holiday weekend when he hopes people will be away?

I was thinking if it was the LL, he won't want to change the locks. But then many LL's wouldn't be rushing to change the locks regardless. So that not really any indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Have to agree about changing the lock. Just inform the LL and get the extra keys cut. Could be done before dinner today. Nothing to worry about then.

I'd also be getting back onto the CCTV company to tell them that you've had an intruder and wish to inform the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have to agree about changing the lock. Just inform the LL and get the extra keys cut. Could be done before dinner today. Nothing to worry about then.

I'd also be getting back onto the CCTV company to tell them that you've had an intruder and wish to inform the gardai.

+1.

In that order of priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i would change the lock and inform the landlord that you have done so and offer him a key
    then get onto the local guards
    there are some sickos out there, could be a lot worse next time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Definitely get a new key cut today.Fight over who pays the bill after.

A friend of mine had a similar experience with someone entering with a key while she was still in bed one morning, she met him in the hallway upstairs. It turned out he was an estate agent in the wrong house. She called the guards and he waited for them and it turned out the key he had,which was for another house on the road, fitted her door. In the end it transpired that all of the houses in the estate that had the original door fitted in the 70's were all opened by the same key. Lots of homes had since had porches and PVC doors fitted but several still had the original door and all needed new keys.

It was pretty creepy but still it turned out there was a logical if unexpected explanation. Regardless of what happened in your case though there's only one way to ensure your safety and that would need to be your first priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Any update on who the person was?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard to believe the lock has not been changed... one place I lived in I came home one day to find all the doors open and things moved... called the ll immediately and insisted the lock was changed immediately. He admitted he had not taken keys in from previous tenants. A priority for simple safety.

Advertisement