Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Vaping' around Pregnant women

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd vape in the smoking area. IMO, if she's in the smoking area, she hasn't a leg to stand on.

As for vaping in the restaurant, you'll probably get more nicotine in the spuds than the 2nd hand vape.
    Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I hope you're now more informed, as you were clearly "completely ill informed about what exactly is in them" before. I acknowledge that the OP was posted elsewhere before it was moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

grindle wrote: »
    Pregnancy doesn't actually grant women some strange hormonal mix of dictatorial superpowers, although the condition does get wielded that way quite often.

You might have missed the bit where I said especially considering how sick I was? If you vomited 20+ times a day for over 5 months you might have a better understanding of why I have very little sympathy for someone who got offended. It might be irrational of some pregnant women, not of all. Personally speaking I honestly wouldn't have been able to cope with the smell at all and I would like to think people might have a bit more empathy than to assume I had "dictatorial superpowers." The smell was enough to make the op cough. It was bothering her. She was eating. And yes she was pregnant. I honestly don't know anybody who would get offended in those circumstances.

Actually in fairness I have learnt quite a bit from this thread: I still don't think vaping at a table where people are eating is acceptable though :) interesting about the WHO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

cyning wrote: »
    It was bothering her. She was eating. And yes she was pregnant. I honestly don't know anybody who would get offended in those circumstances.
    It depends how you are asked.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It depends how you are asked.

Which is a fair point too :) I guess it's hard to know wether the aunt got overly offended, or the op was overly sensitive. The situation could likely have been handled better by both sides.

Which is a fair point too :) I guess it's hard to know wether the aunt got overly offended, or the op was overly sensitive. The situation could likely have been handled better by both sides.
    I'm guessing the aunt was the "smoke after a meal" type, who saw the e-cig device as enabling her to do so without leaving. And as there's no smell of tobacco, didn't think anything of it.

I may have missed it, but did the OP say what the smell was of? It could have been tobacco flavour which nullifies by point above, or it could have been a fruit flavour one.

However, the "shouldn't have that thing around a pregnant woman" line irks me into thinking that perhaps the auntie wasn't the one who was the ignorant one, as the OP seems to think that it contains harmful byproducts. That, and she mentions "smoke" when there was no smoke.

Finally, if she had asked the aunt not to vape near her, I'm sure the aunt would've complied. The coughing and getting the husband to ask probably got the aunts back up. Personally, if you ask me nicely I usually move, but coughing and spluttering gets ignored. Or makes me vape like a train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Well no. I've read the WHO report after listening to a piece on the radio. I don't pretend to be an expert on e cigs or vaping. Is it regulated? I thought it wasn't so I'm sorry if I was wrong. I actually do think they have a place. They are infinitely better than cigarettes.

I just don't think if I'm sitting down to a meal in a restaurant that I should have someone beside me using one. As I've said I wouldn't ask someone at a different table not to use one. But my family? I would. Especially if I was pregnant. Although honestly when I was pregnant I doubt any of my family would have been that inconsiderate considering how sick I was.

But not sick enough to have to miss the restaurant visit cos restaurants never have any smelly stuff that might upset little didums.
    God the entitled make me sick, get this idea into your heads, your in a public place, their will be other people their. These people may not share your sensibilities. Deal with it or stay in your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

tommy2bad wrote: »
    But not sick enough to have to miss the restaurant visit cos restaurants never have any smelly stuff that might upset little didums.
    God the entitled make me sick, get this idea into your heads, your in a public place, their will be other people their. These people may not share your sensibilities. Deal with it or stay in your own house.

That's unfair. Cyning wasn't the OP who was in a restaurant, she was just saying that when she was pregnant she was quite ill, and her family wouldn't have done anything around her to set her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I think the whole thing could have been avoided if a couple of things had have happened. If the OP had have been a little less precious about the whole "the smoke around my unborn baby", if the Op's husband had have told his wife "no you talk to Aunt" and if the Aunt was a little more aware of the people around her. I used to be a very bolshie smoker "I will smoke where I want if you don't like it move" type of thing but as a vaper I am a bit more sensitive to people and the smell. Some people like the smell of strawberries or orange or whatever sweet smell is wafting from my gob after a blast of my e cig, some people don't like it and if that's the case I will curb my excesses (it's yet to happen). I would be the same around anything smelling of cinnamon makes me nauseous and gives me a headache almost straight away and I'm not pregnant.
    But on the other hand anyone that started down the road of "you don't know (insert scare tactic regarding e cigs)" would be swiftly told to pi55 off.

Thoie wrote: »
    That's unfair. Cyning wasn't the OP who was in a restaurant, she was just saying that when she was pregnant she was quite ill, and her family wouldn't have done anything around her to set her off.

I'm just wondering how upset by the smell this woman was ( please remember I'm responding to points made, not personal attacks) that she could go to a restaurant and not get a little sick but get completely freaked by the slight smell from the vapor. I suspect she has a thing about smoking behavior and it was more the 'smoke' that offended her than any real thing. In other words the OP was irrational about it and from the story acted out of proportion to the incident.
    Their is a problem with the acceptance of vaping, we have spent years denormalizing smoking, nothing to do with the danger of secondhand smoke btw and all about reconditioning society to reject smoking. It would be stupid not to expect this conditioning not to carry over to vaping but otoh it needs to be remembered that vaping is NOT smoking. Rejecting vaping is telling people that they might as well stay smoking.
    Mind you when a friend of mine was dieing from cancer I never vaped near them or in their house even though they didn't mind and in fact encouraged me to do so. I was aware of the danger nic is for tumor growth. I don't vape in resturants untill the meal is over and then only stealthly ( I tend to use flavorless all pg juice when going out). I will vape loud and proud in bars and cafes. different circumstances and different atmosphere. Like most things context is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm just wondering how upset by the smell this woman was ( please remember I'm responding to points made, not personal attacks) that she could go to a restaurant and not get a little sick but get completely freaked by the slight smell from the vapor. I suspect she has a thing about smoking behavior and it was more the 'smoke' that offended her than any real thing. In other words the OP was irrational about it and from the story acted out of proportion to the incident.
    Their is a problem with the acceptance of vaping, we have spent years denormalizing smoking, nothing to do with the danger of secondhand smoke btw and all about reconditioning society to reject smoking. It would be stupid not to expect this conditioning not to carry over to vaping but otoh it needs to be remembered that vaping is NOT smoking. Rejecting vaping is telling people that they might as well stay smoking.
    Mind you when a friend of mine was dieing from cancer I never vaped near them or in their house even though they didn't mind and in fact encouraged me to do so. I was aware of the danger nic is for tumor growth. I don't vape in resturants untill the meal is over and then only stealthly ( I tend to use flavorless all pg juice when going out). I will vape loud and proud in bars and cafes. different circumstances and different atmosphere. Like most things context is everything.

I agree with your points about the OP, but Cyning, who you quoted, didn't go to a restaurant while sick and ask people to stop vaping.

• Advertisement

I'm not the op. I have said I probably sympathise more with the op than other people probably because of my own experiences. I'm not entitled. I have said that I would never ask someone at a different table to not vape. I have said I would ask friends or family. I have said I've learnt a lot from this thread... Is that not what you would like? What I did to deserve that I'm not entirely sure?

I was aware of the danger nic is for tumor growth.
    This bit. Linkage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Linkage.

It's not recognised as a trigger but can fan the flames as it speeds up the process of cell division (ergo speeding up the frequency of mutations as well as healthy cells) and apparently delays the natural timeline for cell-death, including mutated cells which now have a larger window of opportunity to mutate multiple times and form a clump of dead cells for newer mutated cells to form around, resist the body's natural defences.

The figures that exist (decades old) have had nicotine plasma concentrations 100 times higher than those measured in ecig users, and cell division was found to happen 20-25% faster at those levels.
    How much lower that would be with ecig use can only be told through specific testing. Another job for Farsalinos in the future I'd imagine, nobody else would want to touch it unless they had a fair idea it would come up with a negative outcome (for ecigs) and thus a positive outcome for their career by confirming governmental or lobbying biases.
    We have to wonder why there have been no studies on that - instead tests always focus on finding minute, considered-to-be-harmless amounts of chemicals, or on stating the obvious ("Stimulant raises heart-rate." Wow. "Inhaling vapourised viscous liquid leads to temporary resistance of airways confirming viscous nature of viscous liquids." Riveting.)

I'm not the op. I have said I probably sympathise more with the op than other people probably because of my own experiences. I'm not entitled. I have said that I would never ask someone at a different table to not vape. I have said I would ask friends or family. I have said I've learnt a lot from this thread... Is that not what you would like? What I did to deserve that I'm not entirely sure?

Ahh you have me wrong, I was working on the assumption that you put out the point about the smell making her sick. I never read it as you being the one feeling sick. I was talking about the situation not the people involved if you get me.
    I have no idea if you felt sick or if the op felt sick I'm just extrapolating to make a point.
    Sorry you felt it was about you personal. I had hoped that isolating the bit with bold would make it clear it wan't you personally I was responding to.

grindle wrote: »
    Corrected link; http://www.carcinogenesis.com/text.asp?2013/12/1/1/106680

Interesting. It's unclear how much nicotine stops the medicine from working, as a lot of veg have nicotine in them. I believe "instant" black tea has a very high percentage of nicotine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Maybe late weighing in here but I'm a vaper for nearly two years and it has changed my life.
    You were being a bit precious in this instance and should have handled it a lot better IMO.
    There are politer ways to ask someone not to do something thats causing you stress, whether the danger is real or imagined (in this case).

That said, and this is very important, I try my very best not to vape in front of children, don't vape on buses or trains or the cinema, not because of their stupid ban but because I think its bad form plain and simple. In short, don't be an a$$hole if you're vaping and if you're asked to stop blowing vape in someones face then fking well do it. It matters not a jot that the vape is harmless (well so far from what we know from actual science, not the govt run newspapers), it matters that you're causing someone distress by your habit.
    Especially those who are already on an emotional rollercoaster, like pregnant women.

Advertisement