Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround sound died a death

• 20-10-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, my samsung surround sound HT-Z320 died a death so currently left with only the speakers with two of them wired underneath the carpet. The connections are pin type

kino-domowe-uszkodzone-samsung-ht-tz315-2747744375_3_orginal.jpg

so question, is it possible to get a new/second hand player and simply plug in these speakers, they have a 3omh impedance and are 160-340W rated input.
    Would say getting a separate Amp be ok or are the speakers poor enough quality that this would be a waste of money.

On a side note, I had googled the whole soundbar versus 5.1 debate and to be honest I'm none the wiser. So if push comes to shove and I decide to either get a new surround sound or to avoid routing cables a soundbar, are soundbars a reasonable replacement for 5.1 systems.

Are soundbars/plates as a salesman in my local harvey norman described them, the new surround sound system. Can they really replicate 5.1 or indeed 7.1 as one claims.

To be honest I can't help but think that a soundbar is just a plug-in extra speaker for our TV or do you truly get a virtual 5.1 surround sound. I'd very much appreciate any feedback from forum members who have a soundbar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Hi folks, my samsung surround sound HT-Z320 died a death so currently left with only the speakers with two of them wired underneath the carpet. The connections are pin type

kino-domowe-uszkodzone-samsung-ht-tz315-2747744375_3_orginal.jpg

so question, is it possible to get a new/second hand player and simply plug in these speakers, they have a 3omh impedance and are 160-340W rated input.
    Would say getting a separate Amp be ok or are the speakers poor enough quality that this would be a waste of money.

On a side note, I had googled the whole soundbar versus 5.1 debate and to be honest I'm none the wiser. So if push comes to shove and I decide to either get a new surround sound or to avoid routing cables a soundbar, are soundbars a reasonable replacement for 5.1 systems.

Are soundbars/plates as a salesman in my local harvey norman described them, the new surround sound system. Can they really replicate 5.1 or indeed 7.1 as one claims.

To be honest I can't help but think that a soundbar is just a plug-in extra speaker for our TV or do you truly get a virtual 5.1 surround sound. I'd very much appreciate any feedback from forum members who have a soundbar.

You can actually use a independent 5.1 av amp to power your speakers with a minimal amount of hassle. The problem is that you're sub will need to be replaced. Outside of that you can get a 5.1 av amp + speakers but use the cables for the reverse speakers cheaply enough, probably sub €200 2nd hand.
    The sound bar is as you described it:5.1 vs 3.1 or 3.0
    The sound bar is a virtual representation of surround sound - ie mimicking the emersion of 5 speakers into a singular bar. Note the "mimicking" term. No sound bar in demo has ever replaced my 5.1 or 7.1 and I have heard almost all of them.

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just an update, bought a second hand samsung surround sound system on Adverts.ie. Simply plugged in the speakers from my old system which were still in place and all worked no problem.

Advertisement