Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes

• 20-10-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of drills of Kerr pinks in the ground at the moment. Should I leave them in the ground for as long as possible or dig them all up and put them in a wooden box in my garage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Slug Damage will be a big issue if you leave them in the ground. I would dig them up and store them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭fiestaman

qzy wrote: »
    Slug Damage will be a big issue if you leave them in the ground. I would dig them up and store them

Thank you, am I right in saying if I put them in a timber box in my shed they will be as good as digging from the drills. How long would they last in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago - so I am far from an expert. Over the weekend I emptied my second last container growing Sarpo potatoes. For three seed potatoes I got back about 12lbs of potatoes. If my reading of relevant web sites is accurate you cut back the vegetation on the potatoes and leave them in the soil for a week or two, then harvest. Clean them of heavy soil etc and store them in hessian bags in a cool dark(ish) place. Last year my October harvested potatoes lasted me till (the dreaded) Xmas. On whether to harvest them or wait - I'd say there is not anymore growing in them so it is up to yourself. For my own comfort I would harvest them sooner rather than later and store as above. Hope my post is of some help. G

Advertisement