Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules Game Discussion

• 20-10-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

Australia v Ireland is coming up soon.

There are no Collingwood players in the Aussie squad.

Can someone briefly educate me enough on this that I can effectively mock my Collingwood supporting mate when the time comes? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Zico wrote: »
    Australia v Ireland is coming up soon.

There are no Collingwood players in the Aussie squad.

Can someone briefly educate me enough on this that I can effectively mock my Collingwood supporting mate when the time comes? :)

Pendlebury was the only one I think that was going for it, but he is injured. Bar that, the rules stated you had to be all australian selected at some stage, so that limits the numbers again. Plus with the season Collingwood had, I'd say Buckley wants his players to get back training early and not be worried about a makey uppey game. Mick Malthouse is doing the same with Carlton players, and even the three Irish lads at Carlton wont be involved.

To be honest, its not much to mock your collingwood mate about, I'd say if you did, he'd shrug his shoulders and say who cares! Its not big at all in Australia, and I'm surprised the series is still going, given the apathy both Irish and Australian fans and players have to it.

If Australia dont win this one with the team they have out, then they may as well forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

bruschi wrote: »
    If Australia dont win this one with the team they have out, then they may as well forget about it.

^^ This exactly. I haven't paid much attention to the international rules over the past few years and the last time out was a joke. However, the Aussies have an amazing team this time round and this has the makings of a great game which could potentially give a much-needed kick up the hole to the series. On the flip side, if this Aussie team don't put in any effort and get thrashed, this could be the end of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

^^ This exactly. I haven't paid much attention to the international rules over the past few years and the last time out was a joke. However, the Aussies have an amazing team this time round and this has the makings of a great game which could potentially give a much-needed kick up the hole to the series. On the flip side, if this Aussie team don't put in any effort and get thrashed, this could be the end of the series.

Just seen the names on the Irish team coming out. Far from their strongest team. Aussies are 4/9 to win the one off. Ireland 13/8 on Paddy Power.
    I personally think 4/9 is one of the best bets ever given that the Aussie team is made up of their best players. What do you guys think. $1,000 wins approx $450. Too good to be true....????

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Just seen the names on the Irish team coming out. Far from their strongest team. Aussies are 4/9 to win the one off. Ireland 13/8 on Paddy Power.
    I personally think 4/9 is one of the best bets ever given that the Aussie team is made up of their best players. What do you guys think. $1,000 wins approx $450. Too good to be true....????

I dont have a thousand bucks to bet, but if we are talking virtual money, then yes, absolutely do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

seipeal1 wrote: »

Yeah I think the Aussies will win but the one off test makes it a bit dodgy. In previous years it has taken them until the second test to really get to grips with the round ball kicking. Plus, irrespective of the talent of the group, a lot of the Australian squad is playing IR for the first time.

And while under normal circumstances one player shouldn't make much of a difference in a 15 a side game, Hanley should be comfortably the best player on display which is a huge bonus for Ireland.

But the absence of Tuohy, Sheehan, Marty Clarke, Flynn, Glynn, Walsh and a few more means that the Irish squad is significantly weaker than it has been in the last 2 series.

Genuinely excited to see the likes of Dangerfield, Gray and Selwood in particular play in this.

• Advertisement

changed the title to suit the discussion.

is there that many who are playing for the first time? I know a good few would have played the junior equivalent when that was going, so it may not be totally their first ever time. And in any case, quality will still always shine through, Adam Goodes in the series here a few years ago proved that.

I think Australia will win comfortably, and should do really. If they cant win with the side they picked, and with the side Ireland have picked, then they will never win one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Have heard almost 30K tickets sold, surely the huge Irish presence in Perth have bumped this up.

If Australia don't win or come close to winning this one I fear this may be canned. Aussies are really bad sports when they lose.

Speaking to some friends back in Oz they would like to see a State of Origin set up to replace in Rules Series IN AFL, (ie. Victoria v NSW)

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Speaking to some friends back in Oz they would like to see a State of Origin set up to replace in Rules Series IN AFL, (ie. Victoria v NSW)

Really? Surely Vic would win that easily every year? It'd be more one sided than the international rules!

Really? Surely Vic would win that easily every year? It'd be more one sided than the international rules!

Yeah maybe so but the last few games against Ireland has been 1 way. My friend is stat analyst for SANFL so is pretty clued up on local views.We always have a good bit of banter but he reckons Aussies could not give to ****s about the Series. Since the changed the rules to suit Ireland the Australians have never come close to beating us.

I'd be interested to know and hopefully someone on here can tell me if this game has stirred up any interest with the locals and media in Australia.

I remember going to MCG in 2008 to watch Ireland beat Australia. 50K went to that game. Still have the snaps. We won. That was a 2 game series. The first was in Perth also. Neither games where on normal TV and it got very little coverage. To watch it you had to have foxtel

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe so but the last few games against Ireland has been 1 way. My friend is stat analyst for SANFL so is pretty clued up on local views.We always have a good bit of banter but he reckons Aussies could not give to ****s about the Series. Since the changed the rules to suit Ireland the Australians have never come close to beating us.

I'd be interested to know and hopefully someone on here can tell me if this game has stirred up any interest with the locals and media in Australia.

I remember going to MCG in 2008 to watch Ireland beat Australia. 50K went to that game. Still have the snaps. We won. That was a 2 game series. The first was in Perth also. Neither games where on normal TV and it got very little coverage. To watch it you had to have foxtel

Yeah the Aussies don't really care about the international rules. I have an app that I get all my AFL news from and all it has recently is stuff about the draft etc, barely anything about the international rules. All the lads I work with are AFL crazy but not one of them would know who's on the Aussie team this year. I talk about it occasionally to try drum up a bit of attention but it's been fairly boring the past few years so I can see why they don't care. Hopefully it'll be better this year.

Yeah the Aussies don't really care about the international rules. I have an app that I get all my AFL news from and all it has recently is stuff about the draft etc, barely anything about the international rules. All the lads I work with are AFL crazy but not one of them would know who's on the Aussie team this year. I talk about it occasionally to try drum up a bit of attention but it's been fairly boring the past few years so I can see why they don't care. Hopefully it'll be better this year.

Yeah to be honest I hope Australia win this. If they don't I can see the Series being canned. But then again if it is not competitive then whats the point in playing. Club Championship games are in full swing in Ireland and its downtime for AFL professional players after a long battling season.

Hopefully Australia's change to only have All Australians might give them the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Same as lads above. Have some really hardcore AFL mates and not one of them has even mentioned the game. Only talk has been around draft.

Tbh, not overly interested myself. Hard to get up for it when no game here in Melbourne and none of mates interested in watching, so zero banter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

is this game on irish tv?

roll wrote: »
    is this game on irish tv?

TG4, Saturday morning at 9.15am

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Australian TV coverage on BT Sport 2 now.

Well done Australia. If this series was ever to survive they had to win. They showed up today. The big boys are pretty handy with the round ball it has to be said and they took it serious too which is a credit to them. From a personal view as a Port fan, Wingard and Gray played well for Oz.

Typical Australia media lol, not a mention about the game beforehand but now they won its on all the mainstream media.

Least our lads got a free jolie outta of it! Although in Perth they are likely to bump into their neighbour lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

This is on again soon.

Saturday 21st November.

I haven't heard a word about it anywhere yet. The GAA must be keeping their hype powder dry for now.

Korat wrote: »
    This is on again soon.

Saturday 21st November.

I haven't heard a word about it anywhere yet. The GAA must be keeping their hype powder dry for now.

very muted this side alright considering it is coming up soon. The aussie side is decent again this year, so unless the Irish team picked is a marked improvement on last year, I'd expect Australia to win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Aussie squad coached by Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn):

Eddie Betts (Adelaide)
    Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
    Luke Breust (Hawthorn)
    Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)
    Dustin Fletcher (Essendon)
    Andrew Gaff (West Coast)
    Brendon Goddard (Essendon)
    Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
    Dyson Heppell (Essendon)
    Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
    Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
    Leigh Montagna (St Kilda)
    David Mundy (Fremantle)
    Robert Murphy (Western Bulldogs)
    Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
    Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions)
    Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
    Nick Smith (Sydney Swans)
    Jake Stringer (Western Bulldogs)
    Harry Taylor (Geelong)
    Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide)
    Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-16/2015s-international-rules-squad-revealed

No Collingwood again. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

Saw the first ads on tv for it this week. I have had my tickets for about a month. It's going to be Dustin Fletcher's last ever match so I couldn't miss it.

Advertisement