Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards United States Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Have to agree with Necro on this one. Cena was able to use his US title runs as a stepping stone to bigger things. Plus the guy had his own version of the belt so an easy win for Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I have to go with Cena, he had a tremendous run as US champion and title was used as a launching pad towards his career.

I dont think Cesaro had a good run with US Championship to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cesaro for me. I felt he made the belt relevant. While Cena destroyed it and made it tacky

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The gritty Doctor beats out the muscular Cesaro in smashmouth fashion. Word Life. Our one and only 3 Way dance is down for decision next and it has a distinct WCW flavour...

Finlay

The Belfast Brawler

7.jpg

vs

Sting

The Icon

492694.jpg

vs

Goldberg

Who's Next?!

Champion-Goldberg-Entrance.jpg

I have to go with Sting, think he is better wrestler in the ring and the on the mic than two people.

I have to admit that I don't have great knowledge for WCW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Goldberg. Like Cena, the US Title was part of his rise to super-stardom.

Tough one. Going with Finlay though. Sting, I'd associate more with the WHC. Don't like Greenberg at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Goldberg. His run in 1998, of which the US title was a big part of was something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

finlay for me.

What's up cgh, welcome :) just looking for a reason as it's Round 3. Anything at all dude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Goldberg. His US title run set the pace for his WCW career, and helped define what made Goldberg one of my favourite people on the roster.

Goldberg as his US reign was during his rise to the top and Sting is more known for his World title reigns

The Man continues to dominate the competition, even in a 2 on 1 situation. Tough one to call coming up next....

Lex Luger

The Total Package

03_luger_display_image.jpg

vs

Rick Rude

Simply Ravishing

Rick_Rude_001.jpg

Most of Lugers best work was involving the US strap but I much prefer Rude and he had better matches imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Got to go for Rube. Have little or no memory of Luger as US champ.

Gotta give it to Rude, Luger annoyed me with his Hulk Hogan Mk II gimmick and the total package nonsense.

I'll round it off with a vote for Rude. Never rated Luger in WCW or WWE.

Rude

The 5 time and longest reigning US Champion of all time is dumped out unceremoniously in a whitewash with the Ravishing One advancing. It's an All-WCW clash again....

Raven

The Leader of the Flock

98wcwus1.jpg

vs

Lance Storm

''And that's from Calgary....Alberta, Canada''

storm_vcrppv.jpg

Raven. A more interesting, diverse character. Storm was talented in the ring but had as much charisma as a snail.

• Advertisement

While I agree with your sentiment Necro, I can't choose Raven over Storm in this tournament. Dunno if people realise this, but he held the US Title for only one day!!! It's actually an over achievement that he got this fAr. Storm made serious strides with the US/Canadian title and I'd argue it was the peak of his career.

Storm. For the reasons Omack gave.

If you think he lacked charisma, watch his run in 2000. Great heel.

Storm. For reasons already given

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Lance Storm, he was great during this period and as already stated Raven's reign was only a day.

Storm as reasons stated by Omack, plus Raven is better remembered as ECW champ or hardcore champ in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Raven. The flock was tbh a bunch of jobbers but I found them soo entertaining during WCW heady days. US champ Raven leader of the flock.

I will go with Lance Storm since Raven only held the belt for one day.

And with that, Raven flocks out of the United States Tournament. Perhaps a lenghtier reign would have seen him go on further but it's the Canadian who advances to the quarters. Our penultimate Round 3 bout is down for decision....

Steve Austin

The Hollywood Blonde

SteveAustin008.jpg

vs

Eddie Guerrero
    Lie.Cheat.Steal

491854.jpg

Tough one. Eddie had a decent run, but I think more of the CW/tag team and WWE title when I think of Eddie.

Austin showed even back then he was a star in the making. The match with Muta was really good, the matches with Dustin Rhodes, Steamboat, all tremendous.

So yeah, Austin.

• Advertisement

I have to go with Eddie, he was over as **** when he won United States Championship back in 2003 and it was clear that Eddie will eventually win the big one down the line which would happen at No Way Out 2004.

Austin was great, but I am not very familiar with his early WCW run.

Advertisement