Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards United States Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Didn't know Austin in his WCW run so have to give it to Eddie, plus he had a great gimmick back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Eddie Guerrero. It's not the title I associate with either of them but I am more familiar with Eddie's reign than Austin's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm torn on this as I love both guys. Austin in WCW was somewhat unknown to me (sacrilege! ) so for that reason I'll vote for Eddie. It really was another stepping stone moment like with Cena & Goldberg. The Lie, Cheat & Steal gimmick was a personal favorite of mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Tough one. Eddie had a decent run, but I think more of the CW/tag team and WWE title when I think of Eddie.

Austin showed even back then he was a star in the making. The match with Muta was really good, the matches with Dustin Rhodes, Steamboat, all tremendous.

So yeah, Austin.

Couldn't state my thoughts better. Austin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A true belter of a contest bewteen two very popular stars. It ends up 4-2 to Eddie Guerrero. Can he go further yet again? Our last bout pits David against Goliath...

Daniel Bryan

YES! YES! YES!

76984801.jpg

vs

Big Van Vader

The Mastadon

492924.jpg

• Advertisement

Ask me about Vader and a WCW title I won't think for a second look passed the WCW WHC for that reason I'll give my vote to Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

D-Bry for me. I'm a big Vader fan and he had some good matches but Bryan brought credibility to the title. It felt important and you got some excellent matches for the title. Matches with Miz, a triple threat with Miz and Morrison, the match vs Ziggler was brilliant and solid matches with Di Biase.

It put him on the path to bigger and better things and thats what a title like that should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I will go with Vader, Bryan's run with United States Championship was forgetable and he didnt become a star till after WrestleMania 28 and Vader was one of the biggest stars of WCW and I always thought he was great for his size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Going for Bryan it helped up the ladder to the position to where he is now and had a good feud with the Miz.

Vader. Bryan may have had some decent matches for the title but I still remember it rotting around his waist for lack of defenses. Not his fault, granted but not exactly top US Champ material either.

• Advertisement

Think I'll have to go with Big Van Vader myself to be honest. He never actually lost the belt but rather was stripped of it and when I think of Bryan and the US title scene I think of him being bumped to the dark match at Mania.

3-3. Next vote takes their man into the last 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Daniel Bryan. I associate Vader more with the World strap, and to be honest, never realised he held the US title before this tournament!

It's quarter finals time and it's about to heat up. The format is going to be a blind bracket meaning you'll only see who's drawn with who as we go. Who'll keep on the path to the championship? Each 1/4 final match will last 6 hours and most votes will win. Reasons are optional but encouraged.

Lance Storm
    Daniel Bryan
    Semi Finalist 1
    Semi Finalist 2
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????
    Finalist 1
    Finalist 2
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????
    Semi Finalist 3
    Semi Finalist 4
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????

Lance Storm

''And that's from Calgary....Alberta, Canada''

storm_vcrppv.jpg

Vs

Daniel Bryan

YES! YES! YES!

76984801.jpg

Daniel Bryan for me.

Went against both of these lads in the last round. Another toughie though. Bryan for me. Had a series of decent matches for the title.

It has to be Lance Storm. Made the title a focal point of WCW for the first time in years. Had loads of storylines around him and could work fantastically too. He was one of the top heels when he converted the US Title to the Canadian Title. Bryan couldn't even get on PPV as US Champ sometimes, remember his snatch at mania got bumped to a dark match and all.

Voted against him in the last round. But I'll go Storm here. The Canadian title was a novel idea.

Loved Lance's run with the "Canadian" title, so im gonna go with Lance T.

After being 2-0 down, the man from the Great White North claws it back to take the bout 3-2. Will our next match be as tight? Time to find out.

Lance Storm
    Daniel Bryan
    Semi Finalist 1
    Semi Finalist 2
    Dolph Ziggler
    John Cena
    Finalist 1
    Finalist 2
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????
    Semi Finalist 3
    Semi Finalist 4
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????

Dolph Ziggler

The Show Off

TLC11_Photo_004.jpg

VS

John Cena

The Doctor of Thuganomics

034.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

john cena for the win brother ! great match for the title against big show at mania

• Advertisement

Cena as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cena.

Was very entertaining as US champ.

Gonna echo the sentiments of the lads, Cena as US champ was a great fit. Kick started him into stardom. Dolph on the other hand had flipped between IC and US titles so much that I forget which reign is which.

Another vote for Cena. Love the whole future world champ having a credible run with a mid card title thingy. Plus the spinners belt introduced by Cema, even though they get tagged on, are a unique part of WWE history.

Yep, another Cena vote here. Dolph has had a great run, probably getting here ahead of other more deserving candidates, but it ends here. What more can I add about Cena's reign that hasn't been said? Certainly a deserving semi-finalist - can he go the whole way?

Reluctant Cena vote. Suppose he was a better champ than Dolph

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I'll go with John Cena too for the same reasons plus I haven't seen much of Dolph Ziggler.

The show is definitely off for Dolph Ziggler as stop/start booking takes its toll on the popular star. The Doctor of Thuganomics books himself a spot in the semi final. 1/4 Final number 3 is going to split a few posters I think. Voting expires at 2pm.

Lance Storm
    Daniel Bryan
    Lance Storm
    John Cena
    Dolph Ziggler
    John Cena
    Finalist 1
    Finalist 2
    M . V . P.
    Goldberg
    Semi Finalist 3
    Semi Finalist 4
    ????? ?????
    ????? ?????

Montel Vontavious Porter

Mr. 305

2418401224_6776903a40.jpg

Vs

Goldberg

Who's Next?!

Champion-Goldberg-Entrance.jpg

Goldberg for me. The run with the US Title in WCW was quite comparable to Cenas, and along with the unbeaten streak gave Goldberg the platform to become a huge star. MVP peaked at the US Championship in WWE, had some excellent matches but for me his run wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Goldbergs.

• Advertisement

Gotta go with MVP. Much preferred his run, full of competitive matches, rather than the squashes Goldbergs run was full of.

Advertisement