Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room 'problem'

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi,
    im not sure if i am posting this in the right section as i am new to this but sure, her it goes.
    i am currently renting a room along with two of my friends who are also renting in the same house. the place we are renting is an extension onto an estate house and the two parts (old and new) are joined by a sliding patio door. (both can be accessed from the one entrance) however this door is alway locked, only allowing us access to the 3 bedroom extension with or own living area and bathroom. this is the part that im unsure about. the landlady was wondering why my bedroom door was locked, because she wanted to let people sleep in the room that i was renting, i dont really like the idea of this going on during the weekends when im returning home to galway for the weekend :/ should this be allowed? in the add for the letting it mentioned 5 days a week but we where never told about other people staying in my room. there is no contract or anything signed either if that makes any difference.
    any help with this situation is appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

keith o h wrote: »
    hi,
    im not sure if i am posting this in the right section as i am new to this but sure, her it goes.
    i am currently renting a room along with two of my friends who are also renting in the same house. the place we are renting is an extension onto an estate house and the two parts (old and new) are joined by a sliding patio door. (both can be accessed from the one entrance) however this door is alway locked, only allowing us access to the 3 bedroom extension with or own living area and bathroom. this is the part that im unsure about. the landlady was wondering why my bedroom door was locked, because she wanted to let people sleep in the room that i was renting, i dont really like the idea of this going on during the weekends when im returning home to galway for the weekend :/ should this be allowed? in the add for the letting it mentioned 5 days a week but we where never told about other people staying in my room. there is no contract or anything signed either if that makes any difference.
    any help with this situation is appreciated. :)

It's the landlady's house, she can legally do as she pleases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you took the room and it stated in its terms- that it was for a 5 day week- it is for a 5 day week, and what happens outside of these 5 days is the business of the landlady

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

in the add for the letting it mentioned 5 days a week but we where never told about other people staying in my room.

So you thought it would be a five-day rental, and you would have access the other days too???

• Registered Users Posts: 13 keith o h

the fact that theres noting signed would this have and effect? and the fact that shes not issuing me with receipts for the rent paid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

This isn't a rent a room scheme and the landlord should be reported to revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Beaner1 wrote: »
    This isn't a rent a room scheme and the landlord should be reported to revenue.

From the details supplied by the OP (thus far) it does in fact meet the requirements of the rent-a-room scheme. The landlady would have to declare the income in an annual tax return- but providing she keeps under the new 12k limit (it went up in the budget last week)- there is no tax due on it.

we are paying €80 each a week, and what ever she is making on the weekend for the 3 rooms (we where also offered a 4th room if we knew anyone that would take it) would be coming very close to the €12,000 limit

there has to be some law against handing over €240 a week between us and not getting any receipt for out money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If you took the room and it stated in its terms- that it was for a 5 day week- it is for a 5 day week, and what happens outside of these 5 days is the business of the landlady

OP, if the landlady wants to let someone else sleep in the room (and presumably the bed you sleep in 5 nights a week) will she be changing the sheets before and after? I'm sure you don't want to sleep in sheets someone else has slept in and that goes for the person who would be sleeping in the bed at weekends.

Even if it's within her legal rights to have someone sleep in the room at the weekends it sounds a bit iffy. also the part where she is limiting access to the house. Here's an interesting link:

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/a-magic-mirror-to-earning-potential-rentaroom-scheme-30296793.html

From the article:

This is because the Government stipulates that in order to qualify for the scheme, the area the lodger occupies must be linked directly into and be a part of the main residence. There must be an internal passage from the lodger's living area into the main abode, or else it is considered to be a self contained apartment and therefore liable for full taxation.

In Carmel's case, the lodging accommodation – which comprises a modern and well kitted bedroom, bathroom, and a kitchen/living area – has its own front entrance, its own rear access and a private rear garden patio.

The necessary linking door into her main residence is through the front hall of the main residence.

Note the bit in bold. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same house with a different owner letting out the rooms. If you and the other lodgers don't have full access into the house at any time then you are living in a self-contained apartment. I would check this out with Threshold or the PRTB.

this is it, there is no changing of the sheets happening... there is a link passage alright through to the main house via a ''patio type'' sliding door however we are not allowed into the main house so im pretty sure she has her ass covered by having this door there.. by the looks of it and there research i have done, i dont have a foot to stand on in this case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

this is it, there is no changing of the sheets happening... there is a link passage alright through to the main house via a ''patio type'' sliding door however we are not allowed into the main house so im pretty sure she has her ass covered by having this door there.. by the looks of it and there research i have done, i dont have a foot to stand on in this case :(

If you're not allowed into the main house you're effectively renting a 3 bedroom apartment 5 days a week, sliding patio door or not. If the sliding door is locked then you don't have access to the full house. Is it locked with a padlock or some other lock you can photograph? If not you can still check out your situation with Threshold. If all the occupants go to Threshold together and explain about the locked patio door you may have a stronger case. PRTB might not recognise you as private tenants so there's no point going there until you are more sure about your situation but your landlady is sailing very close to the wind. She's running a rooming house of sorts, you're not in a normal house share with the owner occupier.

Do you pay her in cash or through your bank account? If she's getting cash from you all and the people she wants to stay at weekends (in unwashed sheets :rolleyes: ) then she can rake as much money in as she likes, especially if she's not inclined to give receipts. If you're all paying €80 a week she's getting €12,480 per annum for this which brings her well over the new rent a room limit. If she rents out the rooms at weekends she will be getting more money again. Do you pay bills etc. on top of this? If so are they a lot? What way is the electricity paid? Is there a separate bill for the "apartment" or does she just tell you what you owe. It wouldn't surprise me if she's dividing her bill by 3 and getting the lodgers to pay it while she gets off scot free.

It might a be a good idea for you and the others to sit down, do your sums and see if you could afford to get together and rent a place - it might not be much more than what you're paying as it is and you would be able to stay there 7 days a week.

Letting different people stay in the bed at weekends and not changing sheets is risky. I'm sure she vets everyone very well but there's always a risk of bedbugs especially if she's not in the habit of changing sheets between occupants. If you're renting the room for 5 days a week it's probably not a good idea to leave stuff there at weekends.

Check your situation first before putting pressure on her to give you receipts because she might throw you out and she may feel entitled to do this. You need to know your rights in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Rent of 240 * 52 is €12,480 so well above the current €10,000 per anum threshold and even the new threshold which comes into force in January. Do you pay any bills on top of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

there has to be some law against handing over €240 a week between us and not getting any receipt for out money?

Has anyone requested receipts?? It's the first thing I would do.

I've always been curious about 5 day lets. I imagine you would leave a lot of clothes and belongings in your room at the weekend. But it sounds like the landlady is renting the room at weekends rather than wanting her privacy. It seems very strange.

It's not a room, it's a standalone premises with its own entrance and facilities.

the door is locked and we are not given any key for this door, its just the normal lock youd see on any patio door. she is skating on very thin ice to be coming in under the 12k alright especially with weekend rents iswell.. no there is going to be nothing left in the room anymore and my own bed sheets will be coming home with me if this is whats going on. it was only today when i was questioned why i had the bedroom door locked that she informed us that there would be other people staying here at the weekend. if the door was never locked we might not of even known what was going on.

If anyone walked into my bedroom on a Saturday morning, they wouldnt think it was a holiday with all the dirty clothes on the floor!! Did she give you any indication of this before? Ask you to take belongings home with you at the weekend? Encourage you to not store valuables in your room? Also has anyone requested receipts?

From the PRTB
    What is a dwelling? TOP
    A "dwelling'' is a property let for rent or valuable consideration as a self-contained residential unit.
    It includes any building or part of a building used as a dwelling and any out office, yard, garden or other land appurtenant to it or usually enjoyed with it.
    It excludes a structure that is not permanently attached to the ground and a vessel and a vehicle (whether mobile or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I don't really understand what your problem is, you agreed to a five day rental and pay rent for 5 days but you have a problem with the landlady using the room for the other two days? The simple solution would be to rent the room for seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

we are paying €80 each a week, and what ever she is making on the weekend for the 3 rooms (we where also offered a 4th room if we knew anyone that would take it) would be coming very close to the €12,000 limit

That's pretty cheap for Dublin. Do you really want to rock the boat?

You have no evidence that the LL is not comply with her tax obligations: she is not required to make less than 10 / 12k, she is simply required to pay tax if she exceeds that. By all means you should be asking for receipts.

never told anything about what would be going on there over the weekend and never told to bring all of out belongings with us. i was just curious as to where i stand with not being informed about all of this. for example i had a bag left in the room over the weekend with some of my belongings that i did not need to bring home, if i didnt lock the door and she had different people in the room and my belongings has got stolen as a result where would i stand then. just found it a bit weird that this was going on and we where not aware of this happening. its not really that cheap to be honest, we where paying €100 a week for 5 night in a hotel in the center of cork and we are now just outside of the city. cold damp place that smells every money when we come back here for the week. but sure this is what i got myself into, soon time to get back out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

never told anything about what would be going on there over the weekend

Because its none of your business, you agreed to rent the room for five days, its your room for those five days and for the remaining two days its not yours.

You should also be taking all your belongings with you when you vacate the room for the weekend.

The 5 day thing is typically used to give the owner a break to have the house to themselves at the weekend. It's very unusual to have them using another persons room over the weekend. It's ****ed up really. I'd strip the bed every weekend and make it as difficult as possible.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    The 5 day thing is typically used to give the owner a break to have the house to themselves at the weekend. It's very unusual to have them using another persons room over the weekend. It's ****ed up really. I'd strip the bed every weekend and make it as difficult as possible.

I agree. Its mostly owner occupiers who request 5 day lets so they dont have tenants underfoot at the weekend. When you move into a place you bring your stuff with you and you're not going to pack it up and bring it home every weekend. I'd be concerned about leaving confidential information, personal letters lying about the place. Not to mention clothes, food, toiletries. Having someone else sleeping in your bed and using your towels is just wrong.

If I were you OP, I'd leave. You didnt sign any agreement and if you can find somewhere else, RUN!

Whosthis, i get the point. No need to be writing pretty much the same thing but in different words twice, your coming across like a person who is doing the very same thing.. Beaner1 im glad you see it the way i do :) its exactly the way it came across to me, giving the owner a break at the weekend. and i like your idea of making it as awkward as possible. found it strange iswell that we came home to a cold place when it is usually warm when we come in, the more i looked into it i figured somebody had been in around the rooms, toilet and living area, and turned off all of the valves on the radiators for some strange reason. seem a bit odd knowing she does be snooping around the rooms during the day when we are gone :/

Whosthis, i get the point. No need to be writing pretty much the same thing but in different words twice, your coming across like a person who is doing the very same thing.. Beaner1 im glad you see it the way i do :) its exactly the way it came across to me, giving the owner a break at the weekend. and i like your idea of making it as awkward as possible. found it strange iswell that we came home to a cold place when it is usually warm when we come in, the more i looked into it i figured somebody had been in around the rooms, toilet and living area, and turned off all of the valves on the radiators for some strange reason. seem a bit odd knowing she does be snooping around the rooms during the day when we are gone :/

She might just be turning off the heating trying to save money. Ask her if anybody is actually staying in your bed.
    Still, I'd suggest that you are not in a licencee situation and I'd ask to be registered with the PRTB.

id imagine she would save on heating another way other than turning off all the rads in our place? cut the time that the boiler if left on for down or something. i will have all my questions ready for her tomorrow and find out what is the proper story is with the place.. find out the info that we where never informed about.

id imagine she would save on heating another way other than turning off all the rads in our place? cut the time that the boiler if left on for down or something. i will have all my questions ready for her tomorrow and find out what is the proper story is with the place.. find out the info that we where never informed about.

Not if she's running the heating from the one boiler for both houses. I don't understand why she would want a five day rental if you don't share any living space. Might be the savings in electricty etc or the fear of weekend parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Peter File wrote: »
    Rent of 240 * 52 is €12,480 so well above the current €10,000 per anum threshold and even the new threshold which comes into force in January. Do you pay any bills on top of the rent.

The 10/12k is total money handed over so includes any bills. If the OP and their housemates pay bills to the landlady on top of rent she is seriously over the limit if Rent a Room even applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Landlord is taking the piss. A five day rental is one thing. But renting the rooms over the weekend. wtf. What would happen if you came home last thing on sunday and the weekend renter overstayed, hate a late night friday and woke up with some stranger fecker booting you out of your bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Landlord is taking the piss. A five day rental is one thing. But renting the rooms over the weekend. wtf. What would happen if you came home last thing on sunday and the weekend renter overstayed, hate a late night friday and woke up with some stranger fecker booting you out of your bed.

But this is what the OP signed up to from the beginning? Landlady advertised a 5 day rental, OP saw it and thought it was a great idea so signed up?

I don't see the issue here myself. What did you think would be happening the remaining two days?

Also, jumping to conclusions about tax avoidance on the landlady's part is ridiculous... No one here has any idea what the woman is declaring/not declaring. It's completely beside the point!

'Person A' rents a room for five days and is 'shocked' when they they find out what is happening the remaining two days? What did you think would happen?

No sympathy from myself, you shouldn't have signed up in the first place. Also, asking her to register for the PRTB is laughable based on 'a locked sliding patio door'. You can't take advice from people on a web forum who can't even see the premises.

It seems simple to me and you should move out and get your own place. But my guess is you won't find a place for less than €80 per week, hence the reason why you chose this place in the first place. This is what comes with cheap rent in a 5 day rental...

That's my 2c anyway.

Advertisement