Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best time to order nucs

Options
  • 20-10-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I started out beekeeping this year and ordered two nucs from different breeders via my local association - one arrived and the other is still to be delivered! (have a deposit on it). I'm anxious to find at least two extra nucs next year - when is the best time to make contacts? before or after the new year? And if i needed a native/local queen when is the best time to order these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Any time is a good time to make contact. Early spring you will pay a premium for overwintered nucs because they will turn into a full colony shortly afterwards and can produce honey ( if they don't swarm out) 2015 nucs with 2015 queens will not be available until end June around here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is the end of October not a bit late for getting a nuc?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patoinsf

Keep in mind the nuc you got this year and the over wintered one you get next spring may both need to be split next summer which would give you the two extra colonies you want with no cost. So unless you are sure you can deal (if necessary) with six hives take your time and let nature provide you with the extra colonies.

Advertisement