Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a quick question...

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

i hear a lot from opposing doctors and senators etc that e-liquid contains toxins found in tobacco.... but has anyone actually seen a broadcast or read a report that names the supposed toxins? it also grinds my gears when i hear bull**** that claims sweet flavours like Cotton Candy, Bubblegum etc are not intended for adults.... i don't know about most adults, but i didn't stop enjoying candy when i turned 18...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

ya the sweet flavour this is very annoying, but its as outlandish as a lot of the other anti vaping stuff you hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

i hear a lot from opposing doctors and senators etc that e-liquid contains toxins found in tobacco.... but has anyone actually seen a broadcast or read a report that names the supposed toxins?
    Yup, I've read plenty of reports that name the toxins, you'll find many references here. The toxins exist, but generally in concentrations far lower than workplace exposure limits (i.e. in amounts considered to be safe enough to work around in industries that are very lawsuit-friendly).
    You'll see the media regurgitate a study's press release which exclaims "Ecig Vapour Contains Lead!" without mentioning that the amount of lead vaped if extrapolated to a two-pack-a-day smoker's equivalent of vaping is 14 times less than the amount of lead the pharmaceutical regulator itself says is safe enough to inhale per day.

"Ecigs contain Chromium, a CARCINOGEN!"
    Yep, they do - over the course of a day about the same amount as 1/3rd of a teaspoon of black pepper, or a little over 1g of oats. 178 times less than the guidance amount allowed for inhalation per day.

"Ecigs contain Nickel, a CARCINOGEN!"
    MmmHmm, as much as resides in 1/10th of a gram of milk chocolate. 15 times lower than the guidance amount allowed for inhalation per day.

Buzzwords. Surprised they haven't sprung the "Ecigs Pre-Infected With AIDS-Ebola Hybrid!" line yet.

Soon, I suppose, soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I have no agenda here, I am a vaper who hopes it is just as benign as everyone thinks, but this study, while not conclusive does raise some serious concerns.

This study was done on the effects of vapor on bronchial tissue and it seems that it may cause changes in the tissue similar to the effects of cigarette smoke which lead to cancer.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/20/2_Supplement/B16.abstract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

pueblo wrote: »
    I have no agenda here, I am a vaper who hopes it is just as benign as everyone thinks, but this study, while not conclusive does raise some serious concerns.

This study was done on the effects of vapor on bronchial tissue and it seems that it may cause changes in the tissue similar to the effects of cigarette smoke which lead to cancer.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/20/2_Supplement/B16.abstract

Did you read the abstract? The cells were specifically chosen to mutate fast and become cancerous, and the media which had an effect in promoting the growth of cancerous cells was the higher nicotine level which they were using to simulate the levels a smoker's cells get exposed to.
    The lower nicotine concentration was selected to mimic the average plasma nicotine levels in ENDS users and did not demonstrate toxic or anti-proliferative effects on the cells.
    Treatment of H3mut-P53/KRAS cells with low nicotine ECIG- and TCIG-conditioned media did not further enhance the degree of invasion observed in the untreated group

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

grindle wrote: »
    Did you read the abstract? The cells were specifically chosen to mutate fast and become cancerous, and the media which had an effect in promoting the growth of cancerous cells was the higher nicotine level which they were using to simulate the levels a smoker's cells get exposed to.

That's what I thought I got from it, wasn't sure though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

grindle wrote: »

I didn't read the abstract carefully enough obviously :rolleyes:

I wonder what constitutes high or low levels of nicotine?

Advertisement