Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played Ashen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone played Ashen ?

Not yet, but looks very decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I was on the fence, but just so happened to land on a couple of decent reviews for it today that swayed me to pick it up over the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing Steam Sale starting today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'd say so but who looks at it anymore?

If you can't figure out which games to try out, just found this list:

Top 250 Hidden Gems (ranked by gamer review score)

Can personally attest that Blue Revolver is amazeballs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you can't figure out which games to try out, just found this list:

Top 250 Hidden Gems (ranked by gamer review score)

Can personally attest that Blue Revolver is amazeballs!
    There are too many Zachtronics games on that list :(

Bleed 2 is definitely my personal shout out from that list though.

Its prequel is also super fun: Like Vanquish meets Contra with just a touch of Meat Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skerries wrote: »
    I'd say so but who looks at it anymore?

Now I just use it more to shop around. I know some have already started but with Steam starting will have most/all of the stores, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Remember folks, The Steam sale is starting around 6pm so hopefully some good deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Harvest the cards/free items, sell them, pick up some small indie for next to nothing, and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There are games that rarely appear on the grey or cheper sites so steam sale still has a purpose imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

So they're going to complete the Walking Dead season 3...

and it's going to be exclusive to the Epic game store.

I think I'm ready to give up Overwatch; just haven't been excited to play it for a while now.

Will give Monster Hunter World a shot.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think I'm ready to give up Overwatch; just haven't been excited to play it for a while now.

Will give Monster Hunter World a shot.

Did you go with monster Hunter after???? Will pick it up later in the month..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Put 25 into Monster Hunter World over the christmas, already a candidate for my personal top 10 games of all time.
    Loving the craft/fight/loot loop of the game , combat is just pure genius.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got around 30 minutes into Monster Hunter before i turned it off. Not sure what it was, i just didn't like the feel of it. Bit quick to judge it i know, but if something doesn't grab me immediately at the moment, i find it goes in the backlog for a while.

I felt the same about the start but after watching quite a bit of live streams i knew what was awaiting me after the slow start.
    Glad i stuck it out as once it clicks with you its amazing to say the least.

I felt the same at the start of Witcher 3 and look how that turned out... Monster Hunter next on my list.

Glebee wrote: »
    Did you go with monster Hunter after???? Will pick it up later in the month..

Yeah I've put in at least 12 hrs now, loving it!

I might dig out my Steam Controller & see if it's better than 360 pad for this game.

• Advertisement

I tried to use my XBone controller and while its nice i found mouse and KB to be much faster an precise once you set things up correctly as the default setup is weird to say the least.

Use these settings and your sorted.

Anyone else find that their uplay games take ages to load up. Currently playing Wildlands and previous AC: Syndicate and both take a good 10 minutes to load up. I have no issues with any other games on steam or origin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glebee wrote: »
    Anyone else find that their uplay games take ages to load up. Currently playing Wildlands and previous AC: Syndicate and both take a good 10 minutes to load up. I have no issues with any other games on steam or origin..

Nope, no issues loading those up.

Some Halo MCC news being released at SXSW in March, so hopefully we'll finally get a port. I'd love to play through the series again on PC.

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/exciting-halo-the-master-chief-collection-news-teased-for-sxsw-2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Kiith wrote: »
    Some Halo MCC news being released at SXSW in March, so hopefully we'll finally get a port. I'd love to play through the series again on PC.

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/exciting-halo-the-master-chief-collection-news-teased-for-sxsw-2019
    Unfortunately if it happens, will be Windows Store only :D

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

ugh! most likely

Honestly, i'd be willing to put up with the store to play it on pc.

Honestly, i'd be willing to put up with the store to play it on pc.

Me too.
    Played through the trilogy loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it came out on PC I'd play it, it's pretty much the only reason I still have an Xbox One at this stage, never gets turned on apart from the odd bit of Halo online.

It could be something else, remaster of Reach/just addition to MCC, either way I'd be all over that like a rash. Halo 3 and Reach were the best, H4 and H5 are alright but the real magic died when Bungie left.

• Advertisement

Do xbox players whohave a pc still consider Halo a decent FPS?

Always assumed it was the fact it was the only good one on the xbox that got it the plaudits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dreamers75 wrote: »

Always assumed it was the fact it was the only good one on the xbox that got it the plaudits.

It's a good game series tbh. I enjoyed each one of them. Yes I have a Xbox and a PC.

Gears of War is another good series but I do not like multiplayer though prefer Halo online matches.

GOW is another game that I think gets more plaudits than it deserves.

Halo and GOW are poor games but if you have that console they are the best games.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I haven't played an fps on pc as satisfying as halo 3 yet.

Halo is the only reason I still have an Xbox, I've been a PC gamer since the mid 90's but I've always had an Xbox for that game. If Halo didn't exist I doubt I'd have owned any console after around the PSX era.

There's nothing really like it on PC, Halo 4 and 5 aren't as good as the older games, but Halo 3 and Halo Reach are still amazing games in multiplayer despite being 10 and 8 years old respectively.

It's genuinely just an amazing game, nothing really to do with console limitations and I can't think of anything quite like it on PC really.

I usually find most people who use the "they only like it because it's good by console standards" never really properly played the games. I don't mean that as a snide remark, but a genuine observation.

Sadly since Bungie left Halo has dwindled in quality, still a very decent FPS game but Halo 4 and 5 just don't have the same magic as H3 and H:R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If a game is good, it's good no matter what platform it's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Halo Reach was one of the most polished fps I've played on any platform. Everything just felt AAA and balanced.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If a game is good, it's good no matter what platform it's on.

So if Halo comes to PC it will be a good game?

I have most consoles (xbone is one I dont have).

I always found each console had to have a killer 1st party app and then the other consoles had their version of it. I didnt find Halo to be a good game but on the xbox at the time it was the best FPS game on it.

The original came out around the same time as Bf42 on PC.

I've never owned an Xbox so have only ever played the original on PC
    The 2nd one came out on PC but you had to have Vista in order to play it so that wasn't happening
    would these older games hold up on modern machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So if Halo comes to PC it will be a good game?

I have most consoles (xbone is one I dont have).

I always found each console had to have a killer 1st party app and then the other consoles had their version of it. I didnt find Halo to be a good game but on the xbox at the time it was the best FPS game on it.

The original came out around the same time as Bf42 on PC.
    It'll depend what kind of game you're looking for.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and No One Lives Forever 2 were also released in the same year as BF1942 and, despite all being FPS titles, I still wouldn't directly compare any of them. Dito for Tribes and UT 2K3 if you wanted to solely focus on the multiplayer experience.

Personally I've never been a fan of the multiplayer component of the Halo series on any platform but **** me, I've had a ton of fun with the single player campaigns over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GOW is another game that I think gets more plaudits than it deserves.

Halo and GOW are poor games but if you have that console they are the best games.

By that statement alone I for some reason believe you never played either.

They are actually good games. As I said in the previous post though I do not like GOW's multiplayer but single player is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hours upon hours of fun playing Halo CE (Halo 1 PC). Halo 3 is also a 5 star title. The rest were fine. Except Wars. Wars was pretty naff.

GoW was never for me. Sticky cover games are generally not great IMO.

Skerries wrote: »
    I've never owned an Xbox so have only ever played the original on PC
    The 2nd one came out on PC but you had to have Vista in order to play it so that wasn't happening
    would these older games hold up on modern machines?

They're dated but they've held up well enough as any game could from that time, if not slightly better.

There are remastered versions of Halo 1 (360) and Halo 2 (Xbox One) which are really great, they're essentially just a lick of paint, gameplay is still the same and is excellent.

Multiplayer from pretty much all of the games has held up extremely well, Halo 3 is as good today as it was back in 2007, Reach is similar, largely because there's nothing else really like it.

MCC coming to PC would be a god send because in one swoop you'd have Halo remastered, Halo 2 remastered, Halo 3/ODST HD, Halo 4 HD....possibly even Halo Reach down the line and presumably Halo 6 will hit PC like GOW4 did.

I'd sell the Xbox One at that point.

It's genuinely just an amazing game, nothing really to do with console limitations and I can't think of anything quite like it on PC really.

I always get a Halo vibe while playing Planetside2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dcully wrote: »
    I always get a Halo vibe while playing Planetside2.

Some aspects ye.

Vehicles felt/controlled similar, and infantry look close (NC at least to Halo marines) but I think the controls for infantry didn't have the same kinda smoothness or weight.

I'd sell the Xbox One at that point.

I assume this is the reason it isn't already on the pc. Not a lot of reasons to have an Xbox if all their first part games are on pc as well.

I assume this is the reason it isn't already on the pc. Not a lot of reasons to have an Xbox if all their first part games are on pc as well.

But isn't that the foundation of the whole 'Play Anywhere' malarkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

To be honest it's great to have Xbox games on my PC and Xbox. No need to buy multiple copies of games and then you can just play on whatever is easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, Forza 7 and Horizon 4 might be buggy messes but I have barely touched my Xbox in the past year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have yet to play an FPS game better than Quakeworld, but I guess that's just me :P

Halo is a really fun game and I have played many, many hours of it, but it's really not the be-all and end-all of shooters that people seem to think it is. It came out on a console that had nothing else in that genre and it was probably the first time a console had a proper shooter that was built with its limitations and rubbish controls in mind to allow it to feel good. It's movement and "twitchiness" aren't a patch on Quake or even something as comparatively clunky as UT (shots fired :P), but they work really well on the XBox.

Destiny is a decent shooter, it feels closer to Halo than Quake, but Destiny is a PvE game with some PvP thrown in so it gets away with it's weird slow leaping through low gravity worlds that seems to be Bungee's thing. Trying to play that kind of PvP in a serious and competitive manner just wouldn't work on PC where speed of response and accuracy of your mouse are king.

To all the people out there who think it's got an amazing story - please join your local library :P It is mediocre at best and I'm glad they felt confident enough to expand on the universe it's set in with some additional media, but "Master Chief shoots the bad guys and then there are new bad guys and it turns out these ring worlds are an ancient defence mechanism against the bad guys" is not a great story and has been done to death. It makes for a good game, dare I say a great game, that's not even up for a debate as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think that's the same as saying "it's a good story" at all.

It's not so much that it has a great story, it's just done in a very cinematic way. Not many other first person games do it in as enjoyable way imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement