Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Skerries wrote: »
    Ubisoft to implement keyless system for activating games and reckon everyone else will follow suit

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/ubisoft-is-trying-to-wipe-out-key-reselling-with-silent-key-activation/

So basically the method that Humble tried for bundle key redemption on Steam a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've recently bought a desktop PC to replace my gaming laptop and got the AMD free games promo. The games are World War Z and The Division 2. I haven't tried to redeem them yet but does anyone know if it's a code I can give away? I'd have no interest in those games so was going to head over to the steam gifts thread but reading online it seems it's a little trickier to get the games. Anyone else got them that could advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

It's amd Rewards they have to be linked to an account uplay, steam etc. People sell them on reddit at r/steamgameswap not exactly sure what the procedure would be

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You redeem the key on the Rewards site, and it links to a UPlay account. I bought a Division 2 key recently, and was given the account details for the guys Rewards account. Opened it up, linked it to UPlay, and the game activated on my account. Pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kiith wrote: »
    You redeem the key on the Rewards site, and it links to a UPlay account. I bought a Division 2 key recently, and was given the account details for the guys Rewards account. Opened it up, linked it to UPlay, and the game activated on my account. Pretty straightforward.
    But you could take all the rewards from their account if they have multiple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Taylor365 wrote: »
    But you could take all the rewards from their account if they have multiple?

They set up a new account just for the one game if they plan on sending the key onto someone that way their real account details are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I haven't done anything with the code yet. Theres two games so ideally i'd like to give them to two different people that are interested in them, could i link to someones uplay if they give me their username?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I haven't done anything with the code yet. Theres two games so ideally i'd like to give them to two different people that are interested in them, could i link to someones uplay if they give me their username?

I'm not sure as far as I know you make a new account and give them the account . Not as easy as AMD just give you keys when you purchase the card and then you can do what ever you want with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

I'm new to pc gaming and was thinking all these game key sites were great to build up a catalog of 4-5 year old games really cheap but now a bit confused about Ubisoft clampdown on key sites.
    Are all key sites now useless for Ubisoft games or which sites do they deem legit. I can't find an answer to this.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Avoid ubisoft games exclusive to their DRM platform would be my advice if that's what they're saying lately. However you can always refund if you find a key doesn't work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm new to pc gaming and was thinking all these game key sites were great to build up a catalog of 4-5 year old games really cheap but now a bit confused about Ubisoft clampdown on key sites.
    Are all key sites now useless for Ubisoft games or which sites do they deem legit. I can't find an answer to this.
    Thanks in advance.

Existing keys will not be rescinded. They are not issuing new keys. When they're currently gone, they're gone.

OSI wrote: »
    Lol. Good luck with that last bit. Key site told me to go **** myself. Opened a dispute with PayPal because they sent me fraudulent goods, PayPal said the goods were delivered so they don’t care.

Strange I've had PayPal close disputes in my favor before. If done through your bank you can reverse the charges there instead. That said, you paid the price of a grey market key to know never to do business with that site again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A friend of mine bought Division 2 direct through UPlay and never got his game. Took them nearly two months to sort out a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought Division 2 direct through UPlay and never got his game. Took them nearly two months to sort out a refund.

He got his refund after :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He got his refund after :pac:

Yeah eventually :D What I couldn't wrap my head around was they know they had received payment, they could see the game wasn't in his library but still took two months to do anything. It should have been just a flick of the switch to let him access the game surely.

If he had just bought it from cdkeys he likely would have had no trouble at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Strange I've had PayPal close disputes in my favor before. If done through your bank you can reverse the charges there instead. That said, you paid the price of a grey market key to know never to do business with that site again.

If done through the bank is that not just going to have paypal close your account or take some other action.

Nah I meant if you didn't use paypal at all. I use my CC directly when possible.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No idea how safe I'd feel giving my CC details to the likes of Kinguin or G2A who are facilitating credit card/identity theft on their site on a daily basis :D Might be a different story with the likes of Greenman who are legit resellers rather than grey market like the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I was kind of curious as to why this was news as I've used this method of activation for the last few months with my purchases from 2Game, evidently they're just rolling it out to everyone else going forward.

It's worked just fine on my end and as TheChrisD said above, it's pretty much the same as what Humble Bundle tried with Steam awhile back.

@Shiminay
    As bad as they are I don't think they're at the level of federal crime. They simply wouldn't be around if they were doing that as every bank and payment processor would cut ties.

So I just tried to do a fresh installation of windows but the installer messes up every time and won't accept the install drive even though I primed it for NTFS. So now I'm left linux and no windows to dualboot to for some games. I'm quietly considering just not even bothering to try again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

@Shiminay
    As bad as they are I don't think they're at the level of federal crime. They simply wouldn't be around if they were doing that as every bank and payment processor would cut ties.

So I just tried to do a fresh installation of windows but the installer messes up every time and won't accept the install drive even though I primed it for NTFS. So now I'm left linux and no windows to dualboot to for some games. I'm quietly considering just not even bothering to try again.

Is the drive using MBR or GPT?

MSDOS which I think is MBR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bios to legacy mode for the install. Should install ok then

BIOS was already on Legacy/UEFI. Tried it through a USB instead of disc and still gave me same issue. I might try another ISO, there could be something wrong with this one. I tried to get a legit one from Microsoft but they reject my key.

Have you formatted it before selecting it?

Ive had the problem on two different machines in the last month,one a friends and one i was re installing windows on my own machine after an upgrade.

Both times findng the option to change the bios to leagcy mode allowed the install to proceed. Both times i formatted the disc during install too.

All partitions on the disc need to be formatted also if iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I might try another ISO, there could be something wrong with this one. I tried to get a legit one from Microsoft but they reject my key.

If it's Windows 10 you don't need a product key, you can leave it blank and it'll activate itself online later.
    Official ISO's can be downloaded with Media Creation Tool from MS;
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

By any chance were you using Storage Spaces feature of Win 10?
    I had a issue recently like yours, where I couldn't format/install Win 10 on a drive that was using with Storage Spaces.
    I had to put the drive in another machine, disable the storage space feature and then I could use it as normal.

@EoinHef
    I formatted it while in another OS then I used the built-in W7 installer format option on the drive when it failed the first time. There's only 1 partition because I deleted the rest (as part of trying to fix it) only leaving around 10GB of unallocated blank space. The BIOS has 2 options, UEFI or Legacy+UEFI. It's always been on Legacy+UEFI. Apparently the only way to fix this is to prime a couple of partitions and modify contents manually on the target SSD essentially doing what the installer is supposed to do for you. It will apparently detect and use them then. Can't be bothered with that right now as I'm in the middle of exam & studying. There's only a handful of games I need W7 for and 90% of what I play I can usually get running on my main linux system.

Btw when you say disc I assume you mean HDD? Not being nit-picky it's just I'm using actual discs (CD/DVD) as an option for the windows installer so got a bit confused.

If I can't get this going even after my exams I'll probably just consume the windows SSD into the rest of the system for something. Was only a matter of time before I stopped using windows completely anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Moon54 wrote: »
    If it's Windows 10 you don't need a product key,
    Thanks yeah I'm aware of that I actually recently built a gaming PC and installed W10 on it for a friend of mine using the official MC site. I will never use W10 myself though outside of a VM.
    Moon54 wrote: »
    By any chance were you using Storage Spaces feature of Win 10?
    W10 has never been on this system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Ahh, I see what you mean, sounds like a UEFI/Legacy issue.

When you bring up a boot menu it should show 2 options for the DVD drive, one will be marked [UEFI]:DVD Drive and the other just normal DVD Drive.
    Or it could be the BIOS Secure Boot or Compatibility Support Module (CSM) are preventing installing.
    https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/disable-UEFI-enable-legacy-support.html

Apologies,yeah i meant HDD/SSD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

:pac:

Very difficult to make a mouse look cool

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I just bought the G305 last week for good measure :(

I just bought the G305 last week for good measure :(

Get a lithium AA battery for it; mine has lasted 4-5 months & still going.
    Plus, it makes it lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi All,

I moved over to PC Gaming from console a few months ago, I was just wondering if there's any discord servers for Irish players? None of my friends play on PC :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hi All,

I moved over to PC Gaming from console a few months ago, I was just wondering if there's any discord servers for Irish players? None of my friends play on PC :(

https://discord.gg/f44G4M5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

with problems with Nvidia and Intel with Zombieload I'm happily sitting here with my AMD system :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can watch the Halo Reach stream at the moment. Looks great, and seems very smooth.

https://mixer.com/Halo?fromEmbedLogo=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I've just had my old intellimouse replaced because the scroll wheel broke, which is very common for me. I wish they would make a more robust one.

I was more excited about the MX518 release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Part 4 of the WH40k fan film Astartes is up.

Here's a link to the full playlist.

It's bewildering that it's all animated by one guy. The quality is off the charts.

I'd kill a small kitten to see Netflix and Games Workshop come up with series of short episodes or an anthology of the same kind as Love Death Robots done by this guy in a similar style.

He really knows his onions.

It's here. Denuvo drm

ciyLaMY.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Gbear wrote: »

Been following this series for a while, it really is something else. Absolutely superb, particularly on subsequent rewatches for the little details. Example, not only does he make the cracking of the visor/eye section of the space marine crack perfectly and look great, he even gets the reflections in the cracked pieces correct too. It's amazing the level of detail he gets in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Doing a big clear out of house and shed currently so got a skip delivered. Wife asked me if i wanted to get rid of my collection of old pc gamer / pc zone mags taking up press space or my suit case full of old game disc boxs stored under a bed. I told her id get rid of her before i got rid of them.... shes gone off in a huff now... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Gbear wrote: »

Cheers man. Look forward to watching them tonight

Glebee wrote: »
    Doing a big clear out of house and shed currently so got a skip delivered. Wife asked me if i wanted to get rid of my collection of old pc gamer / pc zone mags taking up press space or my suit case full of old game disc boxs stored under a bed. I told her id get rid of her before i got rid of them.... shes gone off in a huff now... lol

I'm thinking of dumping mine as they are just taking up space and only getting bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Skerries wrote: »
    I'm thinking of dumping mine as they are just taking up space and only getting bigger

The wife or the magazines?

Don't they have collector value? Might be worth trying to get some dosh out of em'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement