Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

OSI wrote: »
    You forget to wait and take peoples money for pre-orders on other stores before making it an exclusive.
    Well that wouldn't be particularly clever from 505's perspective since, based on the previous Metro and Anno examples of this occurring, Steam pre-orders would still be honored so they'd lose out on 18% of the revenue per sale.

Then again, the jury is still out on whether publishers really hate money or not. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I simply can't get excited about Death Stranding. I think this will be the game where Hideo Kojima will be found to be simply bat-shit mad and not this gifted genius people seem to think he is. The Metal Gear story, such as I could make it out having only really played MGS 5, is fucked in the head. "She breathes through her skin, so she has to be almost naked" - get to fuck you weird pervert! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Shiminay wrote: »
    I simply can't get excited about Death Stranding. I think this will be the game where Hideo Kojima will be found to be simply bat-shit mad and not this gifted genius people seem to think he is. The Metal Gear story, such as I could make it out having only really played MGS 5, is fucked in the head. "She breathes through her skin, so she has to be almost naked" - get to fuck you weird pervert! :D
    Never played the original on PS1? or number 2?

If you had, you'd know the man is definitely bat-****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can see it being another of those games that I compare to Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone will praise it until it's pointed out it's actually not good.
    The latest example to compare to would probably be Red Dead 2

I hate the new Steam layout, it's like something Twitter would make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's this about? I'm still on the old layout app and in browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I like it,find it makes it easier to spot the games i want to play from a list. And also easier to access any info i might want on the game.

They could really do with updating the store front more though.

I see the change now. Weird it was still the old style up until I clicked on collections and now I cannot get back to the old way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm an oddball in that I'm neutral on the library update. I think it's better in some ways and worse in others. I think the only thing I'm actually mad about is the fact that out of everything Valve could've worked on in the Steam client the library was the thing that needed the least amount attention and had the least amount of consumer frustration. Their trading and inventory system is still abysmal, 2 apps for communicating on mobile, abandoned music player, still tons of bugs for their big-screen mode and lots of other things.

The library was the most consistent, good looking and responsive thing in the whole damn client and the only thing that you actually NEEDED the client for, the rest of steam's functionality can be done through the website which is what I'd say everyone ought to do especially with enhanced steam. Typical backwards priorities for Valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Just got the update there, yeah it is terrible makes it much harder to see your library games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The first three numbered games are worth a pop. 4 is where his idiosyncrasies became intolerable as every single story arc in the game, including ones spanning the whole series became explained with "because nanomachines".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The first three numbered games are worth a pop. 4 is where his idiosyncrasies became intolerable as every single story arc in the game, including ones spanning the whole series became explained with "because nanomachines".

Probably more because he had a co-writer (Tomokazu Fukushima) for MGS1 through MGS3 including all the spin off games. MGS4 was where he had free reign to craft his own narratives and it shows!

I mean, there's a part of me that's kinda glad he's out there making this mad stuff. He's clearly very smart and has some genuine insights about the medium of games and if he stopped doing it, I think it would be a net loss for the industry and for art. We could do with more of his like getting some big opportunities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kojima basically needs people around him to tell him no when it comes to his madder ideas.

He has an excellent methodology for making videogames. Basically anyone on the team can contribute ideas and to the design and many get taken on board. It's why his games have some many weird systems you wouldn't think about. It's when his film making ambitions take over that it goes downhill. Kojima has a frankly terrible taste in movies and while his technical talent in cutscenes is great, the guy is absolute narrative poison. Like David Cage, he has good ideas but poor execution of those ideas so his best work has been when collaborating with better writers that can turn his ideas into much better stories.

I'm actually looking forward to Death Stranding. Kojima isn't just the Metal Gear guy. His games outside of the Metal Gear series I've found to be excellent as well. Zone of the enders 2 and the Boktai series are amazing and I love his work on the MSX. His games might be advanced but they still retain some of the 8 and 16 bit sensibilities from Konami... except MGS4 which went more western to it's detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd love to see Kojima team up with Hideaki Anno just to see what mad shït they get up to. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone reckon Google Stadia or anything like it in the near future will kill off PC/Console gaming? I love my PC but I'm uneasy about the idea of having to be online when I exclusively play single player games even if I don't need to improve my hardware.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It will eventually but that will be years into the future as not everyone myself included has internet good enough to run the likes of Stadia.

What bandwidth would they require? If you can stream full HD or even 4k video I don't see why you would not be able to play a game on the cloud.

Video streaming services use buffering but Stadia doesn't. I read that Stadia uses about 16GB an hour.

What bandwidth would they require? If you can stream full HD or even 4k video I don't see why you would not be able to play a game on the cloud.

I can't do either of that.

• Advertisement

Video streaming services use buffering but Stadia doesn't. I read that Stadia uses about 16GB an hour.

Buffering, haven't seen that happen in years!

Well, good for you. Go play your Stadia. I was just pointing out there are more people with internet like me in the world than there are like yours.

Not the buffering where your video pauses for a second or two. Stadia doesn't preload data like Netflix for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I reckon both will be available side by side for a good bit yet.

Not owning the games or hardware doesnt sit right with me so will be a long time before i switch over fully.

Can dip in and out of the subscription services anyway so i dont see a need to fully change over at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Does anyone reckon Google Stadia or anything like it in the near future will kill off PC/Console gaming? I love my PC but I'm uneasy about the idea of having to be online when I exclusively play single player games even if I don't need to improve my hardware.

This must be at least the fifth time somebody has tried this, and they've all failed. OK, it's Google this time, but I still can't see it killing home equipment anytime soon.

And I definitely agree with you, any game that involves an always-on connection to play singleplayer is something I avoid.

MOH wrote: »
    This must be at least the fifth time somebody has tried this, and they've all failed. OK, it's Google this time, but I still can't see it killing home equipment anytime soon.

And I definitely agree with you, any game that involves an always-on connection to play singleplayer is something I avoid.

I don't keep tabs on this sort of thing. I only became aware of Stadia a few days ago.

Yeah, it's Google. If it's doable with modern tech, they'll be the ones to do it.

I only play single player and I likes it that way. I have no interest in a subscription service. It's not like Netflix where I'll be playing something completely different through a day.

Yeah, it's Google. If it's doable with modern tech, they'll be the ones to do it.

X Doubt. I'd say amazon would be more likely to go into that sort of thing. Their cloud, database and datacenter infrastructure is mindblowingly expensive and sophisticated. They already have a paid streaming service and last I checked they're the network backend for Star Citizen? (or something liek that).
    Google may be a juggernaut but the fact is most of their products fail. Catalogs, wave, google plus, answers, notebook, google video (not youtube, they bought that) etc. Their only good product that they're not famous for was reader and they killed that themselves. Stadia could be a relative success or be a niche service that some enjoy but gets dropped if it's not up to their email, data storage or search engine levels of adoption.

Project Veritas exposed the company's freakish attitude with what they actually wish to do with technology. They pretty much have exactly the opposite attitude of customer is king and that kinda carry on has shaky success ratio with customers when it comes to video game services and technology. Streaming services and remote/VM interface is almost definitely the future for mainstream gaming but tinkerers looking to modify the game or people playing input-sensitive content will always need actual access to the games installed on their local machines so I think there'll always (or at least for my lifetime) be that market, similar to physical purchases. The ISPs will be a huge bottleneck for this technology, too. You pretty much need the best internet your country can provide (wired connection ofc) and many countries/parts of countries have absolute gunk to offer.

Subscription service with premium tier options is probably a godsend to parents, though. Just pay a monthly fee and keeps the kids happy with the latest trending blockbusters (at home, friends places, mobile or desktops). I think that will be where their core profits will come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't keep tabs on this sort of thing. I only became aware of Stadia a few days ago.

I only play single player and I likes it that way. I have no interest in a subscription service. It's not like Netflix where I'll be playing something completely different through a day.

OnLive is the main one I'm thinking of. There's a brief summary here, although I'm fairly sure there's at lest one missing off that list but I can't think of it.

In terms of single player games, we've gone from owning a physical copy of the game, to a digital download (which may require DRM servers still being alive to play each time). For single player stuff that's problematic enough.
    Not having a copy of the game at all and relying on someone else to stream it to me sounds insane to me. Plus it's Google., so not only are they getting a ton more data while charging people for it, they've a history of shutting down failed experiments (or even successful stuff like Reader). If this goes the same way, you're presumably left with nothing.

I'd rather have a copy on my local machine so at least if I have a broadband outage I've something to do while I'm waiting for Netflix to come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PSA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PSA

PSA

Brilliant

• Advertisement

Open back... is that the kind where you can still hear things around you clearly and has a lot of leakage? Because I always wanted to try that.

Open back... is that the kind where you can still hear things around you clearly and has a lot of leakage? Because I always wanted to try that.

Depends on the volume you listen at. You do get a wider soundstage though.

As i commented in the PC Building forum, i had a pair of these and they aren't anything special. The X2HR's that are a step above these one's are much much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone else get an email saying they had redeemed a code for EA Access for a month?
    I checked and it's there on my account
    I have 2FA enabled

Quick question, I want to buy Jedi Fallen Order on PC and want to make sure I am able to share the game with my son's account. Actually its the other way around, he is buying the game and I want to play it :-)

I'm also looking for the best price which I can get for €45 on Origin, but from what I can see you can't game share on that.

Also on steam apparently it just launches the Origin game launcher is that right?

So what are my options for game sharing EA games on PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

why not just pay for Origin premium and play away for a month

GTA San Andreas doesn't work right with controller on PC. I'm playing the Rockstar launcher version. I also have it on steam from a few years ago but just playing it again today made me remember. The prompts on screen are still for keyboard but it's easy to know which ones to press.

What doesn't work for me is CJ responses to civilians. I even remapped the buttons and he still doesn't say anything which is annoying. I also took a picture with the camera and the picture I took stayed on screen and I pressed every button on controller and keyboard to get out from image and nothing worked in the end I alt tabbed out.

GTA San Andreas doesn't work right with controller on PC. I'm playing the Rockstar launcher version. I also have it on steam from a few years ago but just playing it again today made me remember. The prompts on screen are still for keyboard but it's easy to know which ones to press.

What doesn't work for me is CJ responses to civilians. I even remapped the buttons and he still doesn't say anything which is annoying. I also took a picture with the camera and the picture I took stayed on screen and I pressed every button on controller and keyboard to get out from image and nothing worked in the end I alt tabbed out.

Can you disable controller? You could map the controls to keyboard using JoyToKey (free) or reWASD(paid premium features like button chording, discounted atm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

If I remember right there is a really good mod for the controls on GTA San Andreas getting the Xbox controller working well. GInput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I dunno. I have it on Steam and it worked straight away for me with no issues.

Vice City on the other hand...

I stopped on the RC Helicopter mission. Eurgh.

Cheers lads I downgraded to version 1.0 and installed a few mods like silent patch and GinputSA. So now my controller works as if I was playing it on Xbox.

Steam input is pretty good. You can bind literally any keyboard stroke or mouse gesture to any part of the gamepad, with activators and modifiers. Very handy. Perhaps there's a user-made custom layout you can find for VC.

Any advice on a good ssd to pick up on the amazon sale? Not m2.
    Looking to go about 500gb or more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any advice on a good ssd to pick up on the amazon sale? Not m2.
    Looking to go about 500gb or more

Bought the 1GB version this time last year and its great, fraction of a second slower than my M.2 loading maps etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT500MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=crucial&qid=1575315226&sr=8-5

Was thinking of that myself as my current one is the 250GB Crucial from 2014.

Don't really need one, but would like to get a larger capacity one and move my current to secondary drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

The Samsung evo 860 1TB was on offer literally a couple of days ago, over now though.
    This 1TB Sandisk is on offer but you should check a review or recommendation regarding the read/write speeds, i'm not an expert:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-560MB-530MB-Write/dp/B071KGRXRG?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_7a39db9e_67&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

"70 quid off" but ends in about 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone recommend a decent Medieval-esque city builder? Something along the lines of Banished, but with some form of combat/defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent Medieval-esque city builder? Something along the lines of Banished, but with some form of combat/defence.
    Not played it, but Kingdoms and Castles maybe? Might be a bit simplistic on first look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement