Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent Medieval-esque city builder? Something along the lines of Banished, but with some form of combat/defence.

Might not be popular opinion, but I obsoletely loved Settlers 7. You could get it very cheap as it is old game now. Combat is kind of basic, but whole game has great character and very good campaign.
    Age of empires 2 if you fancy a classic. New remastered supposed to be great.

They are billions is very good, but very hard. Not really medieval, but Steam punky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent Medieval-esque city builder? Something along the lines of Banished, but with some form of combat/defence.

Not medieval but the recent Anno game is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Probably gonna buy RDR2 on Steam tomorrow, is there going to be a chance to download it overnight before it becomes available to play. Looks like about 150gigs, so I reckon it will take a minute....

errlloyd wrote: »
    Probably gonna buy RDR2 on Steam tomorrow, is there going to be a chance to download it overnight before it becomes available to play. Looks like about 150gigs, so I reckon it will take a minute....

There's no pre-loading/downloading without purchase and you can't even pre-order it right now.

Best you can hope for is that the game is available to buy at midnight tonight, and it lets you download before it's playable at like 4pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

121gb installed, put it on an SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since I recently signed up to Amazon Prime, I figured I may as well connect to Twitch Prime for the free stuff.
    When I try to connect it won't let me. Just keeps trying to take ~£1 from my Revolut then erroring. This was after it told me I wasn't in a Prime country so I changed the country in the dropdown.
    Any suggestions?

Lads, I am trying to figure out a headset solution for my new laptop. Pretty much my first gaming laptop as I always built my own PC's.
    So I want something cheap and cheerful and mic is not really needed. I mostly use this laptop in bed, while misses passed out, so can't even use it. The mic, not misses. :pac:
    Now on my main PC I have Logitech g930. Really underused as I usually just play with speakers on. I might try to use it, but USB sound card is quite bulky and sticks out. I am afraid I will just damage it.
    Love my Astro A20 for Xbox one X and it's my favorite Headset I ever had. It just works, great sound and always has enough juice for my gaming sessions. I guess Astro A10 would be same thing just not wireless? Laptop has only single 3.5mm jack, but I guess it would be dual channel and normal headsets would work on it?
    Any idea of just taking some Bluetooth headphones? As I said, I don't really need mic. Would that work in real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't see any problems with using anything with an audio jack.

Just get a decent set of headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

budget - Hyperx Stinger

Medium -Hyperx Cloud 2/Alpha or Steelseries Arctis 5

prices have gone back up for these since BF so maybe hold off until January sales

• Advertisement

Well, I actually found my very old Creative Fatality headset! Really dusty, but misses showed me a trick with sellotape hehe. It's like new.
    And I discovered that I can charge G930 with my Astro A20 dock/charger thing. So won't need whole damn cable and dongle adapter connected to laptop. Just sound card to USB and then charge headset by TV with Astro A20 cable.
    I think I needed to be more clear what I was looking for in first post. I needed something with less cables and faff, as my misses is a "roller" when she sleeps. So her getting cought in cables and ripping something off was an issue.
    I'll try both options later on and see what will work out better.
    If not might wait till sales and pick up one of those two headsets mentioned above. A lot of reviews have good things to say about those.

is there a 3.5mm port on the Phillips for the mic?

Skerries wrote: »
    is there a 3.5mm port on the Phillips for the mic?

There is yes. Used that Boom Pro on them before and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Gothic 1 is getting a remake!!

Gothic 1 Official Remake 2 hour Teaser Preview is now available on Steam for all Owners of any of the Gothic, Risen or ELEX games.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/950670/Gothic_Playable_Teaser/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Epic Launcher still busted on my system( 2nd PC it doesnt work on ), hoping the GOG launcher would work around the issue but nah, grrr, Epic software is just thrash, last game ill buy on that crap.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Epic Launcher still busted on my system( 2nd PC it doesnt work on ), hoping the GOG launcher would work around the issue but nah, grrr, Epic software is just thrash, last game ill buy on that crap.

Works perfectly fine on mine using the GOG Launcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Blade Runner is back and only €8.19 !

https://www.gog.com/game/blade_runner

I assumed the master copy was lost and was only thinking about this 2 days ago... then suddenly, BLAMMO, it appears

Instabuy for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Nexus Mods have had a data breach of some kind,be a good idea to change password if anyone has an account.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nexus-mods-reports-security-breach-small-number-of-user-records-accessed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

EoinHef wrote: »
    Nexus Mods have had a data breach of some kind,be a good idea to change password if anyone has an account.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nexus-mods-reports-security-breach-small-number-of-user-records-accessed/

One of the many sites I have some random password for. Can't say I didn't see that coming! Cheers for the headsup!

One of the many sites I have some random password for. Can't say I didn't see that coming! Cheers for the headsup!

Same,defo used a password i havent used anywhere else.

I did donate to them recently enough aswell,cant remember weather i used paypal or not,hope they dont keep payment details lying around:pac:

Think they've had a few over the years.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Same,defo used a password i havent used anywhere else.

I did donate to them recently enough aswell,cant remember weather i used paypal or not,hope they dont keep payment details lying around:pac:

Unless you saved for later you should be okay! Paypal just authorises the payment anyway, they pay the merchant you pay them. If it was a paypal.me link it shouldn't show any personal details unless you paid with a business paypal.

Pretty sure i remember having to change password with them before alright.

Nearly positive i did donate via paypal so i should be ok then!

What's AMD's equivalent to Intel HD Graphics. The correct name that is? Both integrated but what do AMD brand it as.

• Advertisement

Most desktop AMD processors dont have integrated graphics.

It would be their APU line that would have graphics as well as CPU on the one chip

Happy Xmas losers! :pac:

So it started well. Misses yesterday lost my present... 200eu Steam vouchers, but with Xmas magic she found them this morning lol.

So I am like a fat kid in candy shop.

Got myself already:
    Rimworld
    Surviving Mars with all Dlcs.
    Oxegen not Included
    Crossout Corrida pack

Still have 120 quid to burn.

Most likely will get:
    Frostpunk
    Stellaris Dlcs
    Some Path of exile pack

Would like Tropico 6. Really love the series since 3.

Have been away from pc gaming for long time so nice to get back to it. Got my Razer Mamba mouse too, but haven't tried it yet.

So anyone else got PC related Santa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

New chair and 32ggb faster ddr4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

New PSU was my Xmas gift to myself, so much quieter.

My good wife got me a noblechair hero ,I picked it but she got it for me, replaces an Ikea office chair so much much nicer.

And my kids got me really good coffee which not obviously pc related but is a constant part of my gaming!!

Just searching for a new monitor...

Any 4k (32") monitors with a digital optical output. TV's most likely have an optical out but none with 4k in 32". I can get around not having netflix on the monitor with a fire stick or more probable sky box (with the 2 available hdmi) could also get around the 2 hdmi with hdmi splitters.

It's the noise floor of a headphone jack I can't tolerate which is more noticeable when listening on headphones on low volume, optical out to DAC to analogue gets around this.

Going bigger than 32" is not really an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well Funcom did a rude thing and deactivated my Anarchy Online account simply because I didn't log in for 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can I ask folks is this spec pc decent for gaming?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MAINBOARD: Gigabyte Tech. A320M-S2H V2-CF

MEMORY: 8GB DDR4

GRAPHICS: Radeon RX 580 4GB VRAM DDR5

SSD: 250GB
    HDD: 1T

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Happy Xmas losers! :pac:

So it started well. Misses yesterday lost my present... 200eu Steam vouchers, but with Xmas magic she found them this morning lol.

So I am like a fat kid in candy shop.

Got myself already:
    Rimworld
    Surviving Mars with all Dlcs.
    Oxegen not Included
    Crossout Corrida pack

Still have 120 quid to burn.

Most likely will get:
    Frostpunk
    Stellaris Dlcs
    Some Path of exile pack

Would like Tropico 6. Really love the series since 3.

Have been away from pc gaming for long time so nice to get back to it. Got my Razer Mamba mouse too, but haven't tried it yet.

So anyone else got PC related Santa?

Thats great, how long before you pack it all in and decide to sell and go back to console again? :pac:

@ Dark Knight thats ok for 1080p gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can I ask folks is this spec pc decent for gaming?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MAINBOARD: Gigabyte Tech. A320M-S2H V2-CF

MEMORY: 8GB DDR4

GRAPHICS: Radeon RX 580 4GB VRAM DDR5

SSD: 250GB
    HDD: 1T

Should be grand, if possible go for a 3600 and 16gb ram if funds allow it at some point

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card. Have an nvidia gtx 970 that's beginning to show its age. Any recommendations for a somewhat budget upgrade? I'm looking to go for the latest and greatest. There's so many cards out there that it's slightly overwhelming.

A couple of hundred quid I guess. I'm looking at the 1070 right now. There are so many different versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats great, how long before you pack it all in and decide to sell and go back to console again? :pac:

Im actually really surprised its fantastic, playing rocket league at 4k and its buttery smooth and looks gorgeous

Dcully wrote: »

I never sell my stuff, I think you mistaken me for someone else!

I always buy everything that is out that gen ( eventually ) and then just play "The flavour of the month/year". When you got all the stuff, you just play what tickles your fancy. Never was "one gaming system" person.
    Unfortunately for PS4, it was the biggest loser in the last few years. In fact it's not even connected anymore. Switch is still by my bed side, even if it wasn't touched in a long time.
    Still planning getting PS5, Xbox series X and whatever Nintendo will do. Got a nice laptop and maybe next year will build new PC for my nerd cave as poor 2500k is starting to show it's age.

Right now PC has games I crave for so laptop is on, Xbox taking a break. We will talk in few months which gaming device I dust off next. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You try the Mamba yet, ShadowHearth?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So Kingpin is getting a remaster, and I've no idea why:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Spear wrote: »
    So Kingpin is getting a remaster, and I've no idea why:
    Because it's not your brains the shambling corpses of what remains of 3D Realms and Interplay want, it's your money.

gizmo wrote: »
    You try the Mamba yet, ShadowHearth?

Yup, using it now since I opened it up on Xmas. Completely fell in love with it. It's perfect. Feels great in hand and got used to accuracy and feel of it very fast.
    Was worried about the charge on it. As I did not knew what to expect. But shockingly it stays charged for long time. Just once a week hook it up while playing, then use it again all week.
    It actually made me realize how old is my DeathAdder on PC downstairs. It's 3.5G one, which came out in 2009.... And they say Razer products don't last. :pac: thing is after using Mamba it shows that it's old mouse now, might get New version of DeathAdder at some point for PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ ShadowHearth yes my bad its someone else sorry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A couple of hundred quid I guess. I'm looking at the 1070 right now. There are so many different versions.

GTX 1660 Super performs same as the nearly 4-years old GTX 1070.

Unless you can find the 1070 for under €220, don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys any new online FPS games coming out soon.

I got damn good broadband and want to start playing online.

I'm hesitate to get into games that been out for awhile as i'll effectively be a newbie lol

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys any new online FPS games coming out soon.

I got damn good broadband and want to start playing online.

I'm hesitate to get into games that been out for awhile as i'll effectively be a newbie lol

Tarkov..... Good luck Comrade...

thats been in closed Alpha since 2016 so there will be a lot of pros on that when it is released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Want to find a new one meself. R6 Siege Quarantine is the one I'm most drawn to. Longer term, Back 4 Blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was going to pick up COD because I'd like something different than Overwatch. Haven't played one in years though but I think I can play with my friends on Xbox if I use a controller when I'm on PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I was going to pick up COD because I'd like something different than Overwatch. Haven't played one in years though but I think I can play with my friends on Xbox if I use a controller when I'm on PC?

You can play with them even if you use kbm. You don't have to restrict yourself to a controller :eek:

You both just need to have crossplay enabled.

Advertisement